Making time for exercise

Options
I am having a hard time fitting in the exercise. I work full time and it is getting cold and dark in New England....any suggestion? I am still smoke free and not gaining, but not losing either....a little discouraged.

Replies

• DeviantDarkwolf2
    DeviantDarkwolf2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have had to start getting up super early due to time limits. It is taking a bit of getting use to but I feel great knowing my workout is out of the way and I have the day to do other things.
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I work out on my lunch, but my work has a gym, so that makes it really convenient. You could also try going right after work, before you go home. That helps me too.

Good luck!
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have to do it first thing in the morning or I will never make it to the gym! It is so bad!!! But 4:30 gets better :)
  • Kaymiller
    Kaymiller Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I recommend kettle bell workout DVDs. You can do them in 10 minute sections.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am and do it. You have to pick a time when it is least likely that there will be things that prevent you from doing it.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I work full time, have 2 little kids, my husband works when I'm at home and vice versa. I exercise at home after my kids go to bed. I mostly ride my exercise bike and do workout DVDs. I'd like to do it in the mornings, but my son wakes up at 4:30-5:30 everyday so that's not going to happen ;)
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    An exercise DVD at home? (either before or after work) Walk a bit more to and from work (get on at the next stop). Walk a bit at lunchtime?

PS- don't be discouraged about a slow week- these things come and go but if you persist, it *will* come off, bit by bit. :)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    If it's cold and dark...wear reflective warm running gear... simples! Don't make excuses! My little brother who wants to join the Marines makes excuses yet I'm out running. There's always a way around it.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Gyms are definitely great when it starts getting dark and cold outside. Its definitely dark when I leave work in the NW. I try and get a run in as soon as I get home and just stick to well lit areas and stay extra cautious with cars since its hard to see. Bundle up. I'll also go for a ~20 min. walk at lunch.
  • lacharp
    Options
    Ugh, I feel you on this one! My commute each way ends up being close to 2 hours - I work in DC and use public transportation to get to work so between that and our notoriously bad traffic, it adds up quick. I usually leave my house 6-6:30am and get home around 730pm, not leaving much spare time for exercise on top of a 9 hour work day... and much harder to manage when it gets dark so early now!

Is there a way you can incorporate small bits of exercise throughout your work day? What I try to do most days is walk the 1 mile each way (so 2 miles total for the day) between my office and my bus stop. I keep a small pair of hand weights in my desk drawer and do some arm exercises throughout the day, and then - if no one is in there at the same time - when I go to the rest room I try to sneak in 20 or so jumping jacks. I used my HRM and figured out that when I do all those things in a day I burn about 300 cals! I'm not ripped or anything like that, but it helped me bust a plateau, so I guess it's doing something. :)
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. My friend got me to leave a set of dumb bells by the couch. When a commercial comes on the TV I reach over and do some strengthing exercises. I have a whole BOX of exercise tapes. I dusted one off and started using it in the early morning. Good luck in getting a little more exercised in your daily routine. It takes a combination of healthy eating, excercise and determination to get the numbers to go down.
  • gixy72
    gixy72 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    its dark by the time i leave work at 5 pm, but i love going out for a walk after tea, high vis vest/coat mp3 blasting and off i go, nice fast walk, i have to stay within the town limits at night as there is no street lights, but on a weekend i have some fantastic places to walk round, I live by the harbour so plenty of beechs to walk along and walking 5 mins from the house takes you out into the countyside,

If the weather is bad then i will use the WII while tea is cooking. I go to water aerobics on a thursday night, that is my time and i wont give that up,
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise at lunch and as soon as I get home I pop in Jillian's ripped in 30. It is a heck of a workout in just 30 minutes.