Evening snacking problem

Options
Hi everybody,

I'm a newbie here and I'm from Holland. The main problem that I have is evening snacking. I'm always munching on something, usually unhealthy snacks. The cravings are to big and I want to find a solution for this problem.

What do you usually do? Do you have any tips and tricks for a newbie?

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Schedule 3 snacks a day with your 3 meals. Make them healthy and part of your planned caloric intake.
  • jshotwell20
    Options
    I have the same problem. I usually try to drink some more water and do things to keep my mind off of eating. Sometimes I even exercise just to remind myself why I don't need to eat. I'm usually not hungry, just bored. If I find that I really am hungry, I drink a glass of milk and it fills me right up!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I combat the desire to snack by eating larger meals.
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I try to make sure I have a little calories left over for when I want to snack in the evening, then I like to snack on chocolate flavored rice cakes, they are very tasty and low in calories.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Eat less during the day and bank more calories for the evening so that you can fit more snacks into the evening (in other words, just save some cals so you can eat later without any negative consequence).
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I've found drinking a cup of hot tea really helps me out with my snacking.
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been eating a rice cake or two and drinking hot tea with one splenda :-)
  • saartje1982
    saartje1982 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers. I think I will save up some more calories for the evening because I don't have a problem during the day. Actually, I'm very good during daytime.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner a little later and slower... Candles help! Try to make your dinner last 40 minute or more! Conversation, Latin Jazz... all that helps stretch out an evening meal... take a bubble bath, it's tough to eat in the tub... Go to bed. Extra sleep helps boost your metabolism.
  • kvandenbush
    Options
    I also have this problem! To help me out I tried to figure out where and what triggers these cravings. I found that when I sit by my laptop on the couch, I tend to get a hungry feeling and I will grab an unhealthy snack. Another way these cravings are triggered are by simple commercials for fast food, or cut out ads that the newspaper brings. To help lead me away from these things, I do not look at the newspaper unless I am going grocery shopping, after I have eaten a healthy meal, and I also make sure I have a picture on my fridge of where I would like to be in a few months to help me steer away from these unhealthy foods. I hope this helps a little bit, because you actually have to change your lifestyle to get rid of these cravings, they don't just go away because you want them to. They have become habit and it takes a good month to change a habit, so therefore you gotta stay strong and have motivation from others to get you through this!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    My solution is to end my night with something sweet - a cookie, ice cream, or yogurt. It helps me "finalize" my day and my eating.
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Do some exercise and earn yourself a sweet treat a day. Drink lots of water afterwards and make sure you know where to draw the line. Then log the damage, record it all.
  • quickfin
    quickfin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I try to reevaluate my hunger by looking in the fridge. I look at the fridge and if I'm truly hungry I will eat a vegetable, if I'm not hungry enough to eat a vegetable then I consider it to be a craving or bordom eating not actual hunger.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My solution is to end my night with something sweet - a cookie, ice cream, or yogurt. It helps me "finalize" my day and my eating.

After reading this I realized I do this! I also always save some calories for an evening snack. Short of eating dinner very late I'm always going to have some sort of snack later in the evening.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I've found drinking a cup of hot tea really helps me out with my snacking.

Really? I find tea makes me want a snack to go with it! Luckily, i know me, and save a lot of cals for snacks anyway, so i can have a fun size choc bar with my tea! :D
  • lizgreenhill
    Options
    i do the same thing. when i get really hungry i either drink a bunch of water or get a nice hot cup of tea and make sure i drink it slowly so im not hungry any more
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    after you've consumed your allotted calories and you're done eating for the day, floss and brush your teeth. That kind of puts the kabosh on more consumption.
  • mrrad
    mrrad Posts: 46
    Options
    I go to bed early, yes really....brush my teeth and think the extra sleep will help me lose weight!!! Or invite my partner for an early night too, we normally find something to do to distract me from snacking!

Evening are hard especially in the Dutch winter...mmmm miss those caramel waffles things with hot chocolate, I used to work in Holland.
  • saartje1982
    saartje1982 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    aah the caramel waffles are great:happy: but off limits. After reading all the comments I feel I have a couple strategies for the evening and eating wise I did great today. I'm well under my calorie intake..so I have room for snacks in the evening.

Thanks