Been there...now trying to maintain and not go back!

Options
Right after I got married I gained quite a bit of weight I was around 180 pounds at the time ( I am 6 ft. tall). I lost my job and started having to commute and pretty much also stopped going to the gym and also eating out a lot more (because I couldn't come home on my lunch break like I had been.) In June 2010 after seeing a picture of myself which horrified me I stepped on the scale and was very upset to find out I had gotten up to 204 pounds. I cried.

I knew it was time to make a change and started tracking my calories and signed up for a sprint triathlon. Keeping track of my calories was the ticket. The weight just fell off! After about 6 months I was down to 174 pounds. I had lost 30 pounds! I signed up for a half marathon and ran that this April. It was a huge success for me, but for some reason after that I fell off the healthy kick. I stopped working out and started eating junk again. I have also been suffering from infertility which is part of the reason I cut back on the workouts, but it also leaves me so emotionally drained sometimes I have a hard time getting motivated. The fertility medication has also been messing with my hormones.

Anyways, the weight stayed off most of this year, but recently I weighed myself and I am back up to 180 and I don't like it at all! I am once again motivated and signed up for a 5K this weekend. I have been tracking calories for the past week and a half and hope to drop those 5 extra pounds by Christmas. I am forcing myself to get back in the gym and put in my time. They always say it is not just a diet, but a lifestyle change. I now know that is so true!

Replies

• Pumpkin1983
    Pumpkin1983 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know you said you were taking fertility medication do you know if that incl HCG? The only reason I ask is because I was going to a weight loss clinic and at first I had gotten an injection of b12 and HCG helped me loose weight like a pound a day but the hcg made me feteral.....not ready for another baby but maybe you should try that talk to your doc first
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    For sure!! Plus, for me a key is to be happy with my progress, but never quite satisfied...
  • Dinah22
    Dinah22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the luck in the world, but of course it will take hard work as well - but you know that already. There is soooo much help on this site, I'm sure you will be sucessful! Just shout if you need help there's always somone around....
  • jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I can understand the emotional blocks that infertility and it's medication can cause. some day's it can feel just impossible, but I remind myself that with God all things are possible, and even though I am not seeing the results I want fast enough, I am better than I was. Don't get too discouraged, keep going because you WILL reach your goals!
  • gossja23
    Options
    Right now I am on a pill called Letrozole. I don't think weight gain is a side effect, but the way it messes with my hormones just causes me to have no motivation at all. I have a follow up doc appointment this week that she is going to suggest our next plan of action.