Crispy Edamame

Options
Crispy Edamame
Baked edamame (green soybeans) make a healthy and tasty snack.
20 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

Ingredients

16 oz. pkg. of frozen shelled edamame
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place edamame into a colander and rinse under cold water to thaw. Drain
3. Spread edamame onto a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle cheese over the top and season with salt and pepper.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is crispy and golden, about 15 minutes.
Servings are approx. 2 oz.

Nutritional Information
* Servings Per Recipe: 6
* Amount Per Serving
* Calories: 100.5

* Total Fat: 5.2 g
* Cholesterol: 2.4 mg
* Sodium: 76.5 mg
* Total Carbs: 6.1 g
* Dietary Fiber: 2.7 g
* Protein: 6.6 g

I'm going to make these tonight, I'll let you now how it turns out. Looks tasty. :bigsmile:

Replies

• FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Crispy Edamame
    Baked edamame (green soybeans) make a healthy and tasty snack.
    20 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

Ingredients

16 oz. pkg. of frozen shelled edamame
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    salt (to taste)
    pepper (to taste)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    2. Place edamame into a colander and rinse under cold water to thaw. Drain
    3. Spread edamame onto a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle cheese over the top and season with salt and pepper.
    4. Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is crispy and golden, about 15 minutes.
    Servings are approx. 2 oz.

Nutritional Information
    * Servings Per Recipe: 6
    * Amount Per Serving
    * Calories: 100.5

* Total Fat: 5.2 g
    * Cholesterol: 2.4 mg
    * Sodium: 76.5 mg
    * Total Carbs: 6.1 g
    * Dietary Fiber: 2.7 g
    * Protein: 6.6 g

I'm going to make these tonight, I'll let you now how it turns out. Looks tasty. :bigsmile:
  • absolutekraze
    Options
    ooo
    I'd like to see that!
    be sure to take pictures. :]

~Casey
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I didn't take pics, but it was really good. My boyfriend ate all of his even though he does not like regular steamed edamame beans.

Thumbs up.
  • absolutekraze
    Options
    I'll definitely try this then, thanks! :]]
  • PixieFire
    PixieFire Posts: 45
    Options
    That sounds good! I just happen to have a whole bag of edamame in the freezer. I will try this tonight and let you know how how me and my boyfriend like it.

-Pixie
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    So are these just the beans inside or the shells too? I bought a box of frozen edamame that comes in portion packed microwaveable containers, but no instructions on how to eat it! Am I supposed to eat the shells? The bean part is good but the shells are fuzzy and tough - is this supposed to be finger food? Help!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    you only eat the beans inside, like peas, you don't eat the shells. sounds like this recipe is for the beans after they have been removed from the shells.
  • PixieFire
    Options
    Yes, for this recipe you will remove the beans from the shells before baking them. If you are just going to steam them, you just salt them in the shells and pop the beans out with your teeth.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    mmm Thanks! Maybe I will pull another container out of the freezer and give them a try again. I think I might have overcooked them cause the shells were soggy and tough all at the same time (along with the fuzzyness, it just wasn't a good experience!)

I'm normally pretty food savvy, but I just wasn't "getting" the current fascination with edamame!!! It sounds like a good way to keep your hands busy when you have the munchies, though!
  • craigc155
    craigc155 Posts: 22
    Options
    I like to cook edamame this way...although I'm going to try this crispy edamame recipe tonight!

Thaw a bag of frozen edamame beans. Drizzle w/ olive oil. In a wok - or pan - dump them in and crisp them up- takes about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and squirt them w/ the juice of a lime - salt and pepper (and you can add whatever spices you want). I usually put some cayenne pepper on them - and have also done them w/ Jamaican Jerk seasoning. Love them!
  • PixieFire
    Options
    We made this a few nights ago. Very good. I plan on making it again tonight as a side dish. My boyfriend commented that it wasn't as crispy as he had expected, but still tasty.