to eat exercise calories or to not!?

Options
Can anyone help me out here? I've heard a lot of people on here say to eat back the calories you burn from exercise. But I've also heard people say that you shouldn't? WHAT THE HECK? So do I, or don't I eat back the calories? And if so, why? I usually do eat back most of my exercise calories, but i want to know if its doing me any good because I have barely lost ANY weight yet.

So confused!
Thanks for any feedback MFP (:

Replies

• adamhaywood
    Options
    Depends how you feel. I eat some of my calories back and to be honest it's the main reason I exercise. I say eat as you feel, just try and leave a few calories each day :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    You're just going to get the same answers that you've already read. The site is designed for you to eat them back but some people don't.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Here is how it works, in a simplified manner:

You tell MFP: I want to lose 1lb per week.

MFP says: Okay, you need to eat X calories per day in order to lose 1lb/week, without exercise.

You do what MFP says, but then you decide to exercise and you burn an additional 400 calories. MFP then says "Hey, I told you to eat X per day to lose 1lb/week without exercise. You exercised, now you're going to lose it too fast and that's not ideal. Now I want you to eat X+400".

i always eat enough exercise calories to at least net 1200. the majority of the time i eat most of them
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

This was found under the first post of this forum "LINKS in MFP you want to read again (and again)"
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

try this link...or just type "exercise calories" into the Search feature above...be aware that there are a ton of differing opinions, however.
  • emilysavage123
    Options

MFP says: Okay, you need to eat X calories per day in order to lose 1lb/week, without exercise.

You do what MFP says, but then you decide to exercise and you burn an additional 400 calories. MFP then says "Hey, I told you to eat X per day to lose 1lb/week without exercise. You exercised, now you're going to lose it too fast and that's not ideal. Now I want you to eat X+400".

i always eat enough exercise calories to at least net 1200. the majority of the time i eat most of them

Thanks this makes sense and helps a lot! (:
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    The site determine your calories to lose weight before exercise so if you don't eat them back, you're just not eating enough in most cases. I eat most of not all of mine back but I have a good HRM now so I'm more confident that I know the correct calories burned. If yo'ure using MFP and guessing at your burn, I would eat about half.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

This was found under the first post of this forum "LINKS in MFP you want to read again (and again)"

great minds think alike ;)
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Depends how you feel. I eat some of my calories back and to be honest it's the main reason I exercise. I say eat as you feel, just try and leave a few calories each day :)

I agree !00%. I force myself to exercise so I can have extra calories if I want them. I don't eat all of them, sometimes none of them and I feel that's the way to go. Who ever heard of anyone eating exercise calories until MFP? I have always been taught to watch my diet and exercise. I have never been taught to eat extra due to exercise. I think it defeats the purpose. I think it's never OK to eat if you aren't hungry as some say. To me that is absurd!! The best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • radio_flyer
    Options
    According to the Mayo Clinic -- One pound of body weight is equal to 3500 calories, so if you want to lose a pound a week, you need to burn or cut back 3500 calories in a weeks times. I guess for you to get the full effect of what MFP tells you -- eat like you weren't on a diet one day and log it and then eat within the calories MFP tell you to. I was eating about 1900 calories before I decided to lose weight, now I eat about 1450 a day and with exercise, I'm losing weight.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    There is nothing good in hunger. If you're hungry, eat something healthy. But don't eat the calories simply because you can.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Out of all the debates on MFP relating to this subject... yours is the best explanation hands down, simplified.

To the poster: You will get a lot of heated debate, but I also eat my calories, only back to about the net of 1200. It's worked for me and I'm sticking with it. I've lost my 26 pounds since doing that method since August 23rd (no sense in changing anything that's not broken).
  • emilysavage123
    Options
    thanks everyone (:
  • lorimarie92
    Options
    always eat if your hungry and try to at least met 1200 before excrising... that kinda is my rule that way i loose weight faster and not starving
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone (:
    You get all that? :laugh:

Looks like you have been given enough links and info to keep you reading for a couple of days. :drinker:
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options

I think the most important thing is to stay healthy. I agree 1200 calories a day is good. Sometimes I eat less, sometimes a little more. Thebottom line is to eat nutritionally sound. I also swear by vitamins and fish oil just in case. I've been doing this since March and haven't got sick yet.
  • jljune
    jljune Posts: 59
    Options
    I ALWAYS eat my exercise calories. Some times I don't eat all of them but the majority of the time I do. Your body needs fuel to burn fat and energy. I am steadily losing 1 to 3 pounds a week and that is ok with me. I know it took a long time to put the weight on, I don't expect it to come off quickly. MFP puts a warning up when you don't eat enough for a reason. It is not just a saying that your body will hold onto excess weight if you don't eat enough. It is true. You MUST at least eat your minimum which for most is 1200 calories. I love to eat so I try to find low calorie things that taste good so that I can eat more.

297714.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I eat the majority of my exercise calories, they are hard-earned and delicious. Lost 25 lbs in 3.5 months, made possible by the energy provided by my exercise calories. ;-)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

Out of all the debates on MFP relating to this subject... yours is the best explanation hands down, simplified.
    i wish i could take full credit for it :) someone else posted it a while ago and i told him i was going to steal it and post it in every new thread that asks about it heh
    it IS a really simple explanation though, and seems to really help people