First time poster: How much protein is too much?

Options
I am trying a low(er) carb (NOT no carb..I don't have that in me!) diet / higher protein diet - a lot of my weight is in my belly. How much protein is too much? I don't want to overdo it. I had about 90 grams today....that seems high...and I don't want it to be counterproductive.

Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA!

Replies

• oumick03
    oumick03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    PS - I did first time poster in case this was some how against etiquette or in the wrong forum!
  • shmo1969
    shmo1969 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can add protein to show in your food diary (if it doesn't already show) and it will tell you what you should have daily. It will go up if you are exercising. :)
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I usually intake 100+ grams a day. You can't really "go over" on protein
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Odds are good that you cannot eat too much protein. 90 grams is definitely NOT too much. 1 gram per pound of body weight is just fine, and even more than that is not "too much" unless you have kidney or liver problems. High protein is great for weight loss because it is the slowest-digesting of the three macronutrients and thus helps you stay fuller longer.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Feel free to join this group, you will find lots of great information!: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/457-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • oumick03
    Options
    Okay awesome - thanks! I do have protein listed in my diary, but, because I'm going lower carb/ higher protein - it really didn't reflect what I needed to know! But good to know I can't really overdo it on protein - I'm way off from 1 gram per pound (though I wish I weren't so far off!) and certainly don't have liver or kidney problems!
  • oumick03
    Options
    Thanks!!! Just joined!
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    I am trying a low(er) carb (NOT no carb..I don't have that in me!) diet / higher protein diet - a lot of my weight is in my belly. How much protein is too much? I don't want to overdo it. I had about 90 grams today....that seems high...and I don't want it to be counterproductive.

Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA!

well, what are your goals? lose weight? gain muscle? maintain?
    protein is an important building block for muscle, but it isn't the only thing. there should be a reason you want higher/lower protein/carbs/.fats, not just cause it worked for someone else or your friend told you about some great diet.
    what is your exercise routine llike? mainly strength training or is it mainly steady-state cardio? how much and how long?
    you should have a plan for what you are going to eat that is in line with your fitness goals, and be ready (and knowledgeable) to tweak it if and when you need to. get educated...either with a sports nutritionist or a personal trainer. if you cn't afford them orr one isn't readily available, there are several very good web sites with sound advice...but there is also a lot of crap out there too.
    a pill or a "system" isn't going to do it in 4 weeks for you, so anyone who espouses a quick or one-size-fits-all answer without knowing anything about you is also full of crap :).
  • xashleemarie
    xashleemarie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I read the other day that the average person consumes 3 times the amount of recommended protein.... i think it was Arnold Schwarzenegger who said you need 36grams per 45kg of body weight :)
  • oumick03
    Options
    Thanks Cathleen for the advice. I am trying to lose weight and tone, currently. I've talked to one of my friends at length (who is a personal trainer and nutritionist) and I think lowering my carbs is a good option - especially just to keep me FULL. (I tend to eat a lot of bread/ crackers/ etc., and then am hungry later!).

In terms of working out, I usually run 3-4 times a week, and do some sort of strength training 2 times a week. However, I'm starting a "rev abs" program so that will increase my core work and some strength work.

Really, I'm just trying something new...Calorie cutting alone hasn't helped, so I'm mixing up how I distribute them. I don't want to go too crazy w/ protein, but, as a carb-a-holic I know I need to cut back!
  • Cathleenr
    Options

and..yes you can. its called the Atkins diet.
  • USCEE77
    Options
    Good question, a balanced intake is important. Protein should not exceed 25% of your total intake and it should be LEAN protein, such as a fish fillet or chicken. Healthy fats are important, also about 25%. Non-starchy vegetables, like a nice colorful salad, is about 30%, and the reminder consists of high-fiber carbs and low glycemic fruits, plus a little dairy and nuts. It you want to lose weight, reduce your daily calorie intake, but don't go off-balance on this formula. Use the tools in MFP to monitor your intake, log your meals, snacks and exercise to track your calories and you will succeed!
  • timinaus
    Options
    Personally, I would look over your past eating habits and work out how much protein/carbs/fats you have been taking in. Then figure out how many calories you want to stay within, work out the percentages of the three macros and start playing with the numbers. If your dropping your carbs, lower that percentage and raise protein by the same amount. Try not to forget about fat either, even though its usually considered bad for a diet you do still need it to function properly.

I started a year ago trying to loose weight and managed so far to drop 80 pounds, only 10 of those since I found this program to use. Myfitnesspal has helped as I wasn't bothering to watch the calories and was focused on just getting out and moving. But now I have reached the point where I need to focus to get down to the goal. I have worked out that a 50/30/20 seems to work best for me, as those percentages seem to keep me satisfied and full through out the day.

I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of protein your taking in so much as it will usually work itself out just by changing around those percentages. But if you are worried about it, ive read that its best to start around .6 to .8 grams per pound of lean body mass. Which would mean you need to work out a general idea of your body fat percentage. Unless your bodybuilding I would doubt you would need more then that.
  • auctoritas
    Options

and..yes you can. its called the Atkins diet.

Don't spread misinformation. It's a higher fat diet anyway, and only moderate protein intake, which same as most people on here.

Anyway, your body can metabolize up to 200-300g of protein a day. More than that and you risk rabbit starvation, or protein poisoning.
  • oumick03
    Options
    Thanks Rich and Tim! Sounds like I have some calculating to do. Figuring out the percentages has always been really tough - But, great advice!

Really thank you everyone - there are certainly a lot of views on it - and while it sounds like I'm not in danger of going overboard w/ protein, it also sounds like I need to do a bit more investigating of what will work best