Myth or Truth? Not eating before sleep

Options

Replies

• AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    A caloric deficit is a caloric deficit at any time of day. It doesn't matter what time you eat. If you eat less than you burn overall you will lose weight.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    when you go to sleep your body's metabolism slows down while sleeping because your not doing much of anything, your energy requirements are low. eating carbs before bed will cause your blood sugar levels to go up. since your energy requirements will be far below your current energy reserves, your body will process almost the entirety of those calories into fat storage. if you need to eat before bed, you should eat primarily slow digesting proteins.

Incorrect regarding calories going into fat storage.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I will eat my supper around 6 and then before I go to bed have a slice of turkey (lean protein) so that my body will keep on "burning" through the night. I guess the theory is that you don't want your body to go into starvation mode and by eating just a little, your metabolism keeps working. Hope this helps and best of luck to you!
    when you go to sleep your body's metabolism slows down while sleeping because your not doing much of anything, your energy requirements are low. eating carbs before bed will cause your blood sugar levels to go up. since your energy requirements will be far below your current energy reserves, your body will process almost the entirety of those calories into fat storage. if you need to eat before bed, you should eat primarily slow digesting proteins.

Just for the record, these are both myths, also. Your metabolism runs roughly the same 24/7, and it takes several days of total fasting, or several weeks of severe calorie restriction, for your body to start going into, "starvation mode."

Also, your body stores and retrieves fat on a constant basis. It does not magically store fat because you're sleeping, it converts the food to glycogen for storage, and the rest as fat, just like it would if you ate breakfast.
  • OXfitness
    Options
    For those who say it's a myth. My question is HAVE YOU TRIED IT? The answer is probably no.

From my experience I will tell you that eating right before bed will not derail you weight loss efforts since everything you eat gets broken down while you sleep anyway. HOWEVER, since you don't need nearly half as much energy while sleeping as you would to get through the day, anything that was broken down and NOT burned for energy ends up being stored as FAT. So when you go to sleep on an empty stomach, your body begins break down FAT rather than a stomach full of food. Since you don't feel hunger pangs in your sleep, you'll essentially be burning fat nonstop for 7-8 hours or however long you sleep! If you're having trouble shedding some pounds, try this for a week and I promise you'll see a difference.

NOTE: (Obviously you must still stay within your daily calory range. Overeating and stopping 3 hrs before bedtime won't do you any good. This method works BEST when your diet is balanced to begin with. Meaning your eating at least 5 times a day)

It's just basic common sense and science... there's no hocus pocus to it!. So to answer the question TRUTH but it's not a deal breaker or the end of the world if you don't follow it!

Before anyone comes after my head let me just say that I'm FAR from an expert on the subject of nutrition, but EXPERIENCE has been VERY good to me!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter.

I did recently read a study that having a small carb snack (like toast or some crackers) a little before bed can help you sleep. More sleep -> less tired the next day -> less likely to make poor food choices. So if anything it is good to eat a little before bed. I am frequently hungry right around bed time and often have a small snack or I won't be able to sleep.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'll bet all of you who believe you can't eat right before bed also believe you have to eat first thing in the morning to jumpstart your metabolism. It seems like there's a disconnect in your thinking... like you don't realize that one day just flows into another, and the food you ate the night before will be able to fuel your body in the morning.
  • 32mandy1979
    32mandy1979 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have always read that a person should not eat after 6p.m. I try to use that as a rule of thumb. IF for some odd chance it is later than 6pm to eat supper then I just grab a low cal low fat "snack" to hold me over till breakfast. Added with a lot of water to make you feel full.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'll bet all of you who believe you can't eat right before bed also believe you have to eat first thing in the morning to jumpstart your metabolism. It seems like there's a disconnect in your thinking... like you don't realize that one day just flows into another, and the food you ate the night before will be able to fuel your body in the morning.

^ Also true.

And to the person asking if I've tried it, YES, I have.

I literally eat 80% of my calories before bed and I'm leaner than I've ever been. And I'm not some special snowflake that can violate thermodynamics.

Anecdotes and analogies are not science.
  • Kslice39
    Kslice39 Posts: 146
    Options
    I do not eat 3-4 hrs before i go to bed because your body functions slow down when you are sleeping. If i do eat before going to bed i just feel gross and groggy in the morning too :yawn: ...i have a big glass of ice cold water and go to bed, thats just me though :drinker:
  • caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised how many folks here are proclaiming myth instead of fact. It's absolutely a fact that eating just before you go to sleep isn't the wisest idea when trying to get in shape or stay in shape. Most nutrition experts agree on this. I'm surprised how many people believe this is a myth.....yikes!
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I'm surprised how many folks here are proclaiming myth instead of fact. It's absolutely a fact that eating just before you go to sleep is unhealthy. Most nutrition experts agree on this. I'm surprised how many people believe this is a myth.....yikes!

Why is it unhealthy?
  • Lupiemomma30
    Lupiemomma30 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was told that I shouldn't have carbs before bedtime but lean protein or veggies are fine...but I guess it all depends on the person.....
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised how many folks here are proclaiming myth instead of fact. It's absolutely a fact that eating just before you go to sleep isn't the wisest idea when trying to get in shape or stay in shape. Most nutrition experts agree on this. I'm surprised how many people believe this is a myth.....yikes!
    "When total calories are kept constant, does eating at night (whether just before bed or in the middle of the night) lead to weight gain?...

A 1997 review article summarizing the results of past research concluded that meal frequency - whether during the day or at night - had no clear effect on body weight. That is, people who chose to eat frequently, regardless of the time of day, had no higher rate of obesity than those who ate fewer large meals.

In a study of more than 2,000 middle-aged men and women, 9% of women and 7.4% of men described 'getting up at night to eat.' Overall, there was no difference in weight gain between those who did and those who did not. A study in 2004 of more than 800 men and women noted that the more people ate in the morning, the less they tended to eat during the course of a day, while people who ate more at night tended to eat more overall. A trial from January 2005 found that eating late at night was not associated with weight gain even among people with 'night eating syndrome'...

It is possible that, for some people, eating at night is associated with weight gain. Perhaps they find it easier to be careful about
    portion size and food choices during the day but simply 'lose it' at day's end. For some, the structure of three meals a day may make it easier to avoid excessive calorie intake. But it's probably a myth that eating before bed has a unique ability to promote weight gain compared with eating at other times of the day. Although scientific studies someday may prove that calories ingested before bed are handled differently than calories ingested at other times, evidence for this commonly held belief is lacking. For now, it's safe to assume that one's weight reflects the balance between calories burned and calories consumed over time, regardless of when you choose to eat."

InteliHealth: Does Nighttime Noshing Make You Fat?
    http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSI/9273/35323/432544.html?d=dmtHMSContent

"Myth: Eating after 8 p.m. causes weight gain.
    Fact: It does not matter what time of day you eat. It is what and how much you eat and how much physical activity you do during the whole day that determines whether you gain, lose, or maintain your weight. No matter when you eat, your body will store extra calories as fat."

NIDDK (National Institutes of Health): Weight-loss and Nutrition Myths
    http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/myths.htm

"Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper' - is there any truth to this?

[Dietitian Dr Trent Watson] sets the record straight: "It's the total energy you eat throughout the day that's important. You can eat all
    your daily kilojoules after 6pm, and you won't gain any more weight than if you ate it earlier in the day. Weight gain occurs when you consume more energy than you expend."

The Daily Telegraph: Top 10 food myths busted
    http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20004610-5006047,00.html

"Subjects who eat late in the evening may increase the amount of glucose stored in muscle as glycogen. In humans, muscle glycogen fluctuates in accordance with periods of muscle activity and subsequent carbohydrate consumption. Data suggest that the consumption of carbohydrate-rich foods in the late evening leads to increased glycogen levels in the muscles. Unless this stored glycogen is burned as fuel, it will ultimately be stored as fat. Therefore, consumption of late-evening meals with carbohydrate-rich foods may also be related to obesity through its effect on hormonal regulation of energy and lipid metabolism. However, we found that the interval of time between the last episode of eating and the time to bed was not associated with
    the risk of obesity. Further investigation is warranted to examine the association of this interval, as well as the nutrient composition
    (i.e., percentage of calories from carbohydrate) of the last eating episode, with obesity."

American Journal of Epidemiology: Association between Eating Patterns and Obesity in a Free-living US Adult Population
    http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/158/1/85

"The purpose of this study was to determine whether meal ingestion pattern [large morning meals (AM) vs. large evening meals (PM)] affects changes in body weight, body composition or energy utilization during weight loss. Ten women completed a metabolic ward study of 3-wk weight stabilization followed by 12 wk of weight loss with a moderately energy restricted diet [mean energy intake ± SD = 107 ± 6 kJ/(kg·d)] and regular exercise. The weight loss phase was divided into two 6-wk periods. During period 1, 70% of daily energy intake was taken as two meals in the AM (n = 4) or in the PM (n = 6). Subjects crossed over to the alternate meal time in period 2. Both weight loss and fat-free mass loss were greater with the AM than the PM meal pattern: 3.90 ± 0.19 vs. 3.27 ± 0.26 kg/6 wk, P < 0.05, and 1.28 ± 0.14 vs. 0.25 ± 0.16 kg/6 wk, P < 0.001, respectively. Change in fat mass and loss of body energy were affected by order of meal pattern ingestion. The PM pattern resulted in greater loss of fat mass in period 1 (P < 0.01) but not in period 2. Likewise, resting mid-afternoon fat oxidation rate was higher with the PM pattern in period 1 (P < 0.05) but not in period 2, corresponding with the fat mass changes. To conclude, ingestion of larger AM meals resulted in slightly greater weight loss, but ingestion of larger PM meals resulted in better maintenance of fat-free mass. Thus, incorporation of larger PM meals in a weight loss regimen may be important in minimizing the loss of fat-free mass."

The Journal of Nutrition: Weight Loss is Greater with Consumption of Large Morning Meals and Fat-Free Mass Is Preserved with Large Evening Meals in Women on a Controlled Weight Reduction Regimen
    http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/127/1/75

So it appears that for most of us there's nothing wrong with eating at night, as long as the entire day's calorie count is appropriate.
    However, there may be health risks associated with nighttime eating for people who have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and/or asthma.

"Compared to nonasthmatics, asthmatics have significantly more frequent and more severe day and night GER symptoms and significantly more of the pulmonary symptoms (nocturnal suffocation, cough, or wheezing) so often attributed to GER. The habit of eating before bedtime appears in asthmatics to have serious and life-threatening consequences."

American Journal of Gastroenterology: Asthmatics have more nocturnal gasping and reflux symptoms than nonasthmatics, and they are related to bedtime eating.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15128338&query_hl=6&itool=pubmed_docsum
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference, more of an idea if you will. I try to adhere to it for the simple fact that it won't necessarily make me gain or loose more weight but helps certain people control how much they're eating if they have a cut off point. and if you think about it water weight (if I eat right before I go to sleep, i know i didn't gain fat that quickly) so yeah personal preference more than truth
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Thanks ElExGordo, for posting studies on this.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference, more of an idea if you will. I try to adhere to it for the simple fact that it won't necessarily make me gain or loose more weight but helps certain people control how much they're eating if they have a cut off point. and if you think about it water weight (if I eat right before I go to sleep, i know i didn't gain fat that quickly) so yeah personal preference more than truth
    I will agree with that. I'm sure it helps some people.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    1) IMHO, it's a myth that not eating before sleep magically increases the number of calories you burn in a day. So if you move your evening snack up to mid-day but eat the same number of calories per day, you shouldn't see any change over time.

2) On the other hand, if cutting out evening snacks helps you to keep total calories lower than they would be otherwise, you should see the same effect as you would get from cutting out any other daily calories.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

What? None I've ever talked to. Some may recommend it to help curb snacking and overeating, but from a biological standpoint it doesn't matter when you eat. Your metabolism runs constantly 24/7 burning calories. It doesn't matter how you eat the calories, the body burns them. If you think it's a fact, can you explain exactly why? Because every study I've read on the subject says that it doesn't have any biological effect on overall fat burning and weight loss.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    For those who say it's a myth. My question is HAVE YOU TRIED IT? The answer is probably no.

From my experience I will tell you that eating right before bed will not derail you weight loss efforts since everything you eat gets broken down while you sleep anyway. HOWEVER, since you don't need nearly half as much energy while sleeping as you would to get through the day, anything that was broken down and NOT burned for energy ends up being stored as FAT. So when you go to sleep on an empty stomach, your body begins break down FAT rather than a stomach full of food. Since you don't feel hunger pangs in your sleep, you'll essentially be burning fat nonstop for 7-8 hours or however long you sleep! If you're having trouble shedding some pounds, try this for a week and I promise you'll see a difference.

NOTE: (Obviously you must still stay within your daily calory range. Overeating and stopping 3 hrs before bedtime won't do you any good. This method works BEST when your diet is balanced to begin with. Meaning your eating at least 5 times a day)

It's just basic common sense and science... there's no hocus pocus to it!. So to answer the question TRUTH but it's not a deal breaker or the end of the world if you don't follow it!

Before anyone comes after my head let me just say that I'm FAR from an expert on the subject of nutrition, but EXPERIENCE has been VERY good to me!

Actually, if you'd read my post, you'd see that I do eat right before bed. I always have, if I'm hungry and have the calories, and have lost 50lbs just fine that way.

I also posted that while I sleep I burn an average of .9-1 calorie per minute while I sleep. Sometime 1.1-1.2. When I sit at my desk typing all day, I burn 1-1.2 calories per minute.

So how, exactly, does my body only need half the amount of energy while I sleep? Heck, Sunday I took a fully lazy day where the hubby and I did nothing but sit and watch TV all day except for eating and using the restroom. I burned an overall average of 1.23 cal per minute for that entire (midnight to midnight) day.

Based on my personal experience and minute by minute data points on what my body does each day thanks to my BodyMedia Fit, I'd say that your claim about energy expenditure while asleep needs some backup.