Gluten Free diet HeLp!!

Options
I found out i have cellaci disease and need to go on a gluten free diet. ITS SO HARD. I just had to leave a sleep over because I was feeling so heartbroken that I couldn't eat the pizza and cookies and cake with them. sitting there watching them eat food I want was way to hard.. I hate this ={ I'm struggling so much not eating things I can't have. Is there anyone out there who is on a gluten free diet who can help support me in my life changing process. I need advice how to deal with other wheat eaters and being around food I can't have and yesterday I caved and ate a cookie and i was so sick =[ I could use help from anyone who has been here before.

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    One of my friends here has a Gluten-Free group - and I am sure you will find so much help there!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/112-gluten-free
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time. There is a gluten free group that you can find if you go to the "groups" tab up top and do a search. I can't say that I struggle with not eating gluten. I've found that there are so many delicious ways to make variations of meat, vegetables, potatoes, etc. that I don't feel too deprived. There are also quite a number of gluten-free flours and whatnot these days as well as gluten-free bakeries, etc. I think that the more comfortable you get in the kitchen and the more control you can take over your own food (instead of trying to bend to the whims of someone else who wants to have pizza, cookies, bread, etc. that you can't have), the better you will feel with regard to your situation.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    my son's best friend has the same thing and we always make sure that we have stuff that doesnt have wheat for him to eat. it is hard and you have to think of your health. i know there are so many substitutes at trader joes and sprouts that you dont have to toally go with out the foods you love, just maybe not be able to eat them when you are at sleepovers. hang in there, my neighbor across the street has it also and we bring him rice krispie treats a lot because they dont have gluten. i know it isnt a cookie, but at least its something. try googling it to get replacements and do some research. im sure you will get a lot of responses from this site also!
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    Hi
    I dont have celliac's disease ... but I have a wheat intolerance and have chrones disease which flares up if i have too much wheat..... I have had it for about a year and it is really really hard to adjust and right noew im GF 95 % of the time... but muck up occassionally but def pay for it when i do eat too musch wheat...
    At first you think there is nothing to eat - BUT there is still lots of yummy fulling things out there which are GF - you can still have rice, beans and potatoes and my favourite is I can still have Tacos as the brand I get is GF. Lots of rice crackers are GF to in terms of nibble things when everyone else is having chips and pizza... but you can even buy GF chips and if you feel like a real treat you can have french fries (watch the sauce though)
    feel free to add me as a friend and look at my diary if you wont - im not totally GF but I try my best
    I dont like GF bread as tastes awful to me so I just go without bread - but i know most suoermarkets sell GF cookies and cakes etc and some are yummy for a treat
    I love pizza too and it is my fav food - but most pizza places (in Auz) do GF basis and they are not bad at all - if you want a pizza treat :)... it takes time to adjust.. GOOD LUCK and remember to always plan ahead now as it is not as easy being GF
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am not gluten freee, but I worked for Whole Foods for years. They have a dedicated back house where they make alot of yummy treats and breads, pizza dough is one of them. They also have a list of all their gluten free products online on their website. It could help you realize how many choices you do have. I think they even list a gluten free beer. If your in the NYC area there is a gluten free pizza place (jut google it).
    Gluteno makes the best pretzals but expensive.
    Good luck.
  • LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Boy do I feel for you... After having been subjected to generalized pain in my joints and muscles for a year (I could not stand in the shower in the morning and felt "rusted" all over) and unbelievable discomfort when I ingested certain foods, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and gluten intolerance. But you know what, I have cut all gluten from my diet for 3 months and my condition has improved tremendously, I am so happy. I have lost 12 pounds being gluten-free and that is great!

Think about your health, concentrate on the advantages of being gluten-free and it will get easier with time, I assure you. It doesn't really matter if sometimes you cannot have the same food as others; try to challenge yourself in being imaginative with the food you can have, try to entice others in trying your food. In the long-run, you will feel physically better and find it less of a disadvantage, trust me. Hang in there!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have food allergies and am gluten free. It was SO HARD at first, but now I LOVE it. I feel SO much better and there are alternatives. Besides, with my multiple food allergies, it has made it easier to lose weight because there is so much I can't eat. I'm allergic to wheat, dairy, wheat, lettuce, spinach and yeast (I get retested tomorrow and think I've had more... bleh. LOL

Feel free to send me a message if you have questions or want to vent. :)
  • ashleycat23
    Options
    It can be hard at times! But there are options out there, it may just take some looking to find them.
    Godfathers has g-free pizza, or there are some brands that have frozen pizza. Sweet potato fries are great. You can get mixes for baked goods. If you are going somewhere and aren't sure if they will have g-free options- be prepared. Look online ahead of time, or carry snacks ( like bars or nuts) with you.
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Just saw this! It helps to take your own snacks to the place or party. Just pack a small bag of them...fruit, veggies, or gluten free crackers etc. They'll be ok when you tell them you're allergic and you can go into greater detail about gluten if they ask. Agreed, at first nothing because it's a diet overall but after awhile the "no" food you had before can be added - potatoes, rice. Check out gluten free isles, or look up products online.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Feel free to add me, I also have Celiacs. Unfortunately, eating even small amounts of gluten infrequently can be very dangerous for our insides--I can't say I've never cheated, but I have to remind myself frequently of the reasons why "just one bagel" won't hurt. You might find that it helps with weight loss though--for some reason, when you have a gluten allergy, your body can crave wheat while you are eating it regularly and make you binge. Weird but true. I found out when I couldn't stop eating peanut butter on wheat bread all day every day. A doctor told me to eliminate ALL gluten and within a couple of days, the cravings stopped and my energy skyrocketed.

Gluten free is getting better and better. Look for foods labeled gluten free. Amy's meals label which foods are gluten free. Lucy's cookies (available on Amazon.com) are amazing. There are lots of pizzas now labeled gluten free. Don't be afraid of weird looking things like rice chips, some of the flavors like sweet chili are amazing. I always bring my own food when I go places. After a while, it won't affect you much. Good luck!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My dad has celiac disease, and while I do not have it, I've been subjected to a TON of gluten free cooking. If you're willing to learn to cook/bake with alternative flours, there really isn't anything that's off the menu.

For pasta - The Sam Mills Pasta d'Oro corn pasta is FANTASTIC. It comes in all kinds of shapes and even non-celiacs really can't tell the difference.

If you want to make stir fry - use the San-J brand of soy sauce. It's made the authentic Japanese way and does not contain the wheat that cheaper soy sauces have.

As far as cakes, cookies, pancakes, breads, waffles, etc - you can buy the expensive commercial stuff (like Udi's) or you can learn to bake. My mom uses all kinds of alternative flours (almond flour, arrowroot, sorghum, etc) and has mastered making all kinds of 'normal' food - pizza crust, English muffins, DONUTS!, waffles, pancakes, cookies, hotdog & hamburger rolls, etc.

I know being celiac is a tough diagnosis and takes a major adjustment, but it's not the end of all your 'happy food'. I would suggest looking at some celiac cookbooks and food blogs. There are a ton of them out there! Good luck. :-)
  • tkdbutterfly
    Options
    Hey, I have celiac and have been eating gluten free successfully for 4 years. I'm more than happy to help with anything I can. You can do this and when you get it down to a science you will feel amazing. You will feel better than you ever imagined was possible!! Baking and cooking can be real fun with celiac and there are lots of quick options too and restaurants that cater just to us! Let me know how I can help!!
  • roman109
    roman109 Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi, my granddaughter is GF and I have tried very hard to find recipes and food to cook for her. Now it has become an interest of mine to find great GF food. So many wonderful blogs and recipes on the internet and every day there is more GF food in our stores. It does get easier especially when you realize how much better you feel. Try going to ..Easy Eats.com and click on the Recipe Vault...if bread is an interest for you try the 1st recipe called Jeff and Zoe's Bread. Easy and good. I bought their book from Amazon and will receive it any day, it has a chapter on Gluten Free bread. The book is..Healthy Bread In Five Minutes A Day by Jeff Hertzburg and Zoe Francois. I also made their GF bread recipe they have on the internet...Google..Gluten Free Crusty Boule. It is easy and good! Blessings