Ladies Bra Sizing Question

Options
I am trying to find a sports bra (and strapless for the party season) that fits, problem is i'm trying them on in my size I was measured for a while back and they are so tight around the band its uncomfortable i can't imagine running in it.

So i've searched the net and re measured myself, using quite a few sites to make sure i was getting it right and I measure it to have gone up a bra size on the band. Would this be right I have lost a few inches and pounds since i started but i've also been running alot.

Cup size wise I measure i have shrunk by quite a bit, NO FAIR IT SHOULD BE THE OTHER WAY ROUND :))

Has anyone else experienced such a big difference?

Clare

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I've gone from a 32G to a 18D
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    LOL Boobs are fat, so one of the first things to go, sorry. I'd get a nice VSX bra from Victorias Secret approx $50. They look HOTT and push the tatas up (cleaveage if you want it to show).

For going out... Again VS is the best if you want to look your best. I recommend going in the store and getting measured by one of the ladies.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I say? ... Get a bra fitting. You look like you've lost 5lbs with a properly fitted bra. AND it's SO much more comfortable. Trust me girl! :tongue:
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I say? ... Get a bra fitting. You look like you've lost 5lbs with a properly fitted bra. AND it's SO much more comfortable. Trust me girl! :tongue:
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    honestly it depends on the bra - i wear a 38DD in some and a 40DDD in other brands ie Victoria's Secret bras are sized diffrently then Madinform etc.... I suggest getting measured when you go to buy a new bra and see what you end up with
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I measured myself last week (for Christas presents!) and the same thing happened to me!!! My waist has shrunk a couple of inches, but my band size is LARGER than last time I was fitted for a bra. Cup size didn't change much. Have I just been wearing the wrong size for a while??? I don't know...
  • msallymae
    msallymae Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    just go to victorias secret and ask them to measure you! there also other stores , i forget i saw it on oprah... but you can get a perfect fitting. if you arent shy or anything. if not then its up to guessing.
  • 2012Kristin
    2012Kristin Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Maybe you weren't measured right the first time. I would definitely go in and get a professional fitting.

As far as the cup size thing goes, I imagine that a lot of us will lose there (whether we want to or not).
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Cup sizes VARY BY MANUFACTURER. It's SO annoying!
    In Cacique - I'm a C
    In Soma - I'm a D
    At Victoria Seceret - I'm a DD!

So try everything on first.
    Honestly, I would go with 2 different bras. Personally, I like Champion products for running support. They aren't too pricey either
    For strapless, I have trouble with these as well. Victoria Secret has some that aren't too bad, but there are the corset style which are more comfortable for me. The give me the assurance that I won't be pulling myself up all night long. By nature, strapless bras will HAVE to squeeze more around your middle in order to make up for the support you're not getting from your straps.

If you're smaller, you can get away with stickies - and if it's a dress that you're trying to match that has soft cups built in, you can always consider toupe tape! Seriously - it worked in the 70's and I've had to use it on more than one occasion to hold 'em in place during some musical theater shows I've done w/ crazy costumes. Pretty comfortable, as long as you don't have really sensative skin.

Personal preference - Soma's bras are AMAZING, but I've yet to try a strapless or a sports bra from them (if they even make sports bras). Even the front closure ones offer great support! They are pretty and really hold up to washing and wearing.. A little pricey, but no more than Victoria Secret (which, IMHO, fall apart WAY too easily for the money they cost - but then again, I don't handwash my undies like they recommend).

Fredricks has some fun corsets too that are REALLY comfortable.
  • lacharp
    Options
    I used to work for a lingerie store back in college and if memory serves, I think it was that as size increases, cup size goes down, and it all depends on how the specific bra fits you - so if you measured as a 34B you could also fit into a 32C or 36A. It just depends on your indiviual frame, the bra, etc etc etc. So having band size increase and cup size decrease doesn't necessarily mean you're losing boob-age. :)
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    LOL Boobs are fat, so one of the first things to go, sorry. I'd get a nice VSX bra from Victorias Secret approx $50. They look HOTT and push the tatas up (cleaveage if you want it to show).

For going out... Again VS is the best if you want to look your best. I recommend going in the store and getting measured by one of the ladies.

No, VS is terrible for measuring you. They only carry limited sizes, so when they measure you, they only recommend sizes they carry. If you are a 30DD or a 32F, they won't tell you that. I would go to a nicer dept store or a specialty shop like Intimacy. VS is a joke.

You're supposed to wear your bra on its LOOSEST setting, and tighten it in as the elastic in the band wears out over time. I would stick with the original measurement instead of going with the new one. I would put the difference down to lack of precision between measurements, and not assign any significance to it without further data.
  • lottieuk75
    lottieuk75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes I have gone from a 32DD and now I've measured myself at 34b or c.

Not sure we have VS here in the Uk when I got measured before 32Dd it was by Rogby & Peller .
    I would have thougtht I'd stay the same 32 not got bigger given that my waist has shrunk by quite a bit.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yes I have gone from a 32DD and now I've measured myself at 34b or c.

Not sure we have VS here in the Uk when I got measured before 32Dd it was by Rogby & Peller .
    I would have thougtht I'd stay the same 32 not got bigger given that my waist has shrunk by quite a bit.

You probably measured yourself incorrectly. You are probably still a 32. Try Agent Provocateur...they are reliable
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if sports bras are necessary?
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if sports bras are necessary?
    I guess it depends on your body type. I didn't used to wear them until I hit my 20's. Then it HURT to have my boobs bouncing around while I am jogging/etc. lol
    But if your chief form of exersize is walking, you're probably fine. :)
  • mrrad
    mrrad Posts: 46
    Options
    I would say unless you are completely flat chested then a sports bra is definitely required. Basically if you have something that jiggles when you jump up and down naked it needs a bit of support while you exercise. Bigger girls need proper support as you can cause stretching and sagging- it is bad enough when you lose weight without making them more saggy!

I always get fitted for bras as people already said there is so much variation in brands. The only time I get them online is if I already have one of that brand. It is annoying because they are so much cheaper online. Bra fitting done properly is a bit personal the fitter should really be helping to adjust straps etc. Allow yourself plenty of time take a fairly fitted top to try over so you can see the shape under clothes. Try on lots of different ones.

Also agree with however said can make you look much slimmer whatever size you are if your bra fits it should be comfortable and flattering.
  • auctoritas
    Options

No, VS is terrible for measuring you. They only carry limited sizes, so when they measure you, they only recommend sizes they carry. If you are a 30DD or a 32F, they won't tell you that. I would go to a nicer dept store or a specialty shop like Intimacy. VS is a joke.

You're supposed to wear your bra on its LOOSEST setting, and tighten it in as the elastic in the band wears out over time. I would stick with the original measurement instead of going with the new one. I would put the difference down to lack of precision between measurements, and not assign any significance to it without further data.

Ugh, this. I went to get a bra at VS and they were like "You're a D! Here!" and it was way too small and tight. Then I went to Macy's and got 3 bras that fit better and together cost the same as the one single bra from VS v.v I hate them.
  • nerfertiti
    nerfertiti Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you near a Bravissimo shop in the UK? I go there to get measured for my sports bras.
  • Zanthera
    Options
    Linda the Bra Lady http://www.lindasonline.com/

Awesome help understanding you and your boobs. I have gotten some nice bras there and even have the blog in my feed. Nice quality too. I even still have the "bra care card" that I received with the bras. Going to order more soon since size can change every 6 months easily.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I measured myself last week (for Christas presents!) and the same thing happened to me!!! My waist has shrunk a couple of inches, but my band size is LARGER than last time I was fitted for a bra. Cup size didn't change much. Have I just been wearing the wrong size for a while??? I don't know...

When you go up in band size, you go down in cup size. When you go up in cup size, you go down in band size. I used to be a 36D and now I'm a 38C. The fitter at Macy's explained it to me. I can't recall why it's so but it is. Your cup size is just how much bigger the middle of your bust is from underneath your breasts where the band sits.
    And yes, I've heard not to get fitted at VS. I've gotten good fittings at JcPenny's and Macys.