BMR wow..

Options
so i calculated my bmr using the websites tool and it told me 1962 :O holy freaking cow that sounds like ALOT
i guess that explains why mfp keeps trying to tell me i should be having 1450 cal per day to lose 2lb a week...
tho i have dropped it to 1250 because 1450 sounded 2 much?? lol

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Do you mean TDEE?
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    so i calculated my bmr using the websites tool and it told me 1962 :O holy freaking cow that sounds like ALOT
    i guess that explains why mfp keeps trying to tell me i should be having 1450 cal per day to lose 2lb a week...

what did you put as your activity level?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

what did you put as your activity level?

Activity level doesn't factory in to BMR.

See this thread, which explains BMR vs TDEE
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/217700-confused-about-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-how-many-calories-you
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I eat a fairly large amount of food and my body wants it thus intense hunger pangs if I deny myself the right to eat. so I listen to my body and record the calories to see what I "need" which is usually about 1700-1900calories depending on my activity level for that day
  • letonia_
    letonia_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1469 cal / day, I don't know if that is low because my nutritional goal is 1,340 calories/day (not that much of a gap like yours)
  • Ashlea82
    Ashlea82 Posts: 191
    Options
    i used this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator to get my bmr which was 1962 (i currently weigh 125.6 kilos and am 162 cm tall..
    when i put in sedentary excersising 4x a week for 30 mins and wanting to lose 2lb a week because thats the most it lets u say lol
    and it said i should be having 1450 cal per day for this to happen.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Man I hate converting to lbs and inches, lol...

It sound like a pretty good estimate based on your weight. Hell, I am 195 lbs at 5'11" and my BMR is over 2000. Now, I did run some numbers and if you plan on eating 1450 calories (which is perfectly fine) you need to make sure you eat back exercise calories so you don't have too large of a deficit. And no a larger deficit won't necessairly mean faster weight loss and in fact, long term you will slow your weight loss due to muscle loss.
  • Ashlea82
    Ashlea82 Posts: 191
    Options
    thanks for your reply psulemon =]
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    So according to this site my BMR is now 1,344 is that without adding any activity? I'm currently recovering from a back injury and won't be able to do a 2 hour workout for at least until the end of next week when it's recovered completely.. I struggle to sit up for an hour at the minute.

Should I stick to 1200 to lose some so have slight deficit from my BMR? .. Spending most of day laid semi-reclined on hot water bottles to help the pain levels at the minute.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So according to this site my BMR is now 1,344 is that without adding any activity? I'm currently recovering from a back injury and won't be able to do a 2 hour workout for at least until the end of next week when it's recovered completely.. I struggle to sit up for an hour at the minute.

Should I stick to 1200 to lose some so have slight deficit from my BMR? .. Spending most of day laid semi-reclined on hot water bottles to help the pain levels at the minute.

If you are doing no workouts (sedentary lifestyle) 1200 is a good number for you to lose 1 lb per week. You may need more if your depending if you are active throughout the day (your calories would increase to 1350 - 1400. You could try 1300 to be safe (it still has a deficit).