How much protein is too much?

Options
I noticed that for a couple days in a row I ate about 19g more protein than I should a day. Is this a bad thing? I get my protein from good sources such as whey protein powder, chicken, fish, shrimp, lactaid milk etc.

Replies

• FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with going over your protein. I actually think MFP has protein set really low.
  • Agito
    Agito Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You're probably fine, especially if you're going off what MFP set for you. I've always heard to eat your body weight in kg in grams of protein, some people even eat their weight in pounds and they don't have any problems.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'll say 1,000 grams of protein is too much.

I make it a goal to eat at least half my weight in protein daily. Some people eat one gram per pound, but I'm not that hungry.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I make a point to eat 50 grams over what MFP tells me to daily, and its made a big difference in having more consistent energy levels and keeping more muscle on.
  • dubose01
    dubose01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have wondered the same thing. after all my food for the day has been entered i get a negative by my total protein. i personally dont think its bad but just wondered!!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, one gram of protein per pound of weight is the max unless you're an athlete or extremely active. Then you can go to two grams per pound. The average person generally gets all the protein he or she needs.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I try for at least 120 grams, and sometimes go as high as 200 grams. MFP is set for 15% of your calories. Minimum should be 0.7-0.8 grams for every pound of body weight
  • Agito
    Agito Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I make it a goal to eat at least half my weight in protein daily. Some people eat one gram per pound, but I'm not that hungry.

That would be 4000 calories!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options

That would be 4000 calories!

Well, the question was how much is too much! lol
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say per 1 gram per lb. It is really more like 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. For example, a 400 lb person would not need 400g of protein.
  • swander572
    Options
    When I was bodybuilding I would aim for 300-350 grams a day. And that's not even that much compared some other guys.
    But yeah anyways I did a lot of research back then and going over 19 grams won't hurt you at all.
  • BIG_Lew
    BIG_Lew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I think if u are active and are trynna add lean muscle mass, u should intake 1-1.5 grams of protein u weigh every day. Along with a high fiber diet to flush yourself out of any waste. To much protein and not enough water and fiber can damage ur kidneys
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well I am 170lbs that is a lot of protein! Also, is there anyway that you can buy meats and protein based foods that don't cost an arm and a leg? (typically refined carbs and processed foods are cheaper) but I dont eat that anymore! But then again I spend nearly $200 a month on groceries. That's a lot for a single woman! lol
  • BIG_Lew
    BIG_Lew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    For protein try getting tuna, salmon, lean ground turkey, lean ground beef (90/10), peanut butter, and chicken breast.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!