ANYONE LOSING THE RECOMMENDED 1 LB PER WEEK

Options
Hi, I am a new member to the sight as of tonight. I just have a question about the recommed 1 per per week goal. Is anyone one following that plan? My original thought is that I wanted to lose 2-3 pounds per week but I don't want to set myself up to fall off the wagon because i have starved myself. I would really like to hear from anyone who has been satisfied with losing the 1 pound per week.

Replies

• mrslewis
    mrslewis Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi, I am a new member to the sight as of tonight. I just have a question about the recommed 1 per per week goal. Is anyone one following that plan? My original thought is that I wanted to lose 2-3 pounds per week but I don't want to set myself up to fall off the wagon because i have starved myself. I would really like to hear from anyone who has been satisfied with losing the 1 pound per week.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Hi,

At first I thought it was to slow but then I realized I was in it for the long haul so I stopped hovering over the scale every week and just stuck with it. Those 1lbs have added up to a lot of pounds. So yeah I am pretty satisfied.:flowerforyou:
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been here about 7 weeks and i've lost 10 lbs, its a little more then a lb a week, but i'm happy with it because i'm doing it the right way. your profile says you dont have that much that you want to lose, so 2-3 lbs a week would be hard for you i would think, i'm not an expert though, but i'm pretty sure that you should only be trying for about a lb a week to be healthy about it.

good luck, just remember its all about portion control and water....lots of water!!
  • lizamaya
    lizamaya Posts: 5
    Options
    You will (most likely) lose more than that for the first 2-4 weeks... (water weight and what not). After your body adjusts to the "new" you it will slow down... but just think 1 lb per week adds up to more than 50 pounds lost by this time next year :o)
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I have my goals set to lose 1.5 pounds/wk. However, I can honestly say that I am SATISFIED with any week where a loss takes place. Last week I lost .5 pounds - WOOHOO for me. The week before I lost 3 pounds - WOOHOO for me. As long as I continue to lose... I'm a happy girl.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    i lose between 2-7 pounds BUT im 5ft tall and stick to 1200-1400 calories low carb...and excercise 2hrs daily
  • mrslewis
    mrslewis Posts: 6
    Options
    Oh boy do I have a lot more than 27 lbs to lose! I have 27 pounds on my ticker because its my short term goal and a lot eaiser to look at when im messaging.
  • Noday543
    Noday543 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have been pretty much losing my 1lb per week and i am loving it!!! Just remember that those pounds add up!! I am hoping this weeks weigh in i am out of the 150's and on the the 40's!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    1lb a week is good amount- the reason is if it comes off to fast the chances of it coming back are higher-
    My plan is to lose atleast 1lb a week but I average 1.5 a week- I eat 1500 calories a day and workout really hard 4 days a week burning no less than 500 calories per gym session but typically burn 600-650
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I'm happy when I lose weight, I lost three pounds in one week, but mostly it's been one pound a week. I would definately stick to one pound a week, in some week's you'll lose more.

Look at it this way, you're now on your way to a healthier life style, you're taking a step in the right direction and you should be proud :)
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the 1 pound a week plan. That's what I'm doing and it's working great! I usually lose between 1 and 2 pounds a week on that plan...and there were about 2 weeks where I lost 5 pounds...but that's not too common. I think it's just changes that your body goes through - higher metabolism from working out maybe??
    Anyhow, I think it's a good plan. One pound a week is considered healthy weightloss...and there may be some weeks where you lose more!

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I set my goals to lose one pound a week. I've been losing a little more than that but what's even more important is that I wake up every morning knowing that I'm willing to stick to my plan for one more day. If I stay willing then I'll eventually reach my goal. I have to make sure that I stay willing by not setting up roadblocks for myself.

Everybody is different and the longer you keep at this, the more you'll find out about your own body, your own willingness and ability to exercise and your own way to stick to your plan.

Take it one day at a time and take baby steps. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hi, I looked at your profile, and you are hoping to lose 27 lbs, right? So, a pound a week is a pretty good goal. If you had a bunch of weight to lose, like me, you could probably lose more rapidly, I have read that a good rule of thumb is about 1% of your body weight. Good luck!
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Setting your goal at losing 1 pound a week is a great way to make reasonable lifestyle changes that will last! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Smoothtakeaway
    Options
    Hi,

I'm new to this site as of Thursday and I've stayed under 1300 cal so far and it's not been hard as I followed the Body for Life diet off and on. The difference this time is that I'm not exercising yet. I want to conquer my dieting demons first and I'll start by walking this week and then go on to elliptical and dumbbell workouts, with some interval running.

Last time I did great with workouts but went crazy with my eating and thus was fighting an uphill battle. If I lose 25-30 I'll be just fine and 1 pound per week after the first 10 come off will be ok with me.

The main thing is once you lose it, don't give it back! Reset your goals as you progress to allow you a more liberal caloric count as long as you continue to lose toward your goal, whether it be 2 lbs or 1/2 a pound......and stay the course by writing down everything you eat!
  • ear1128
    ear1128 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost approx. 4 lbs. the first week, then have been going at about 1/week since then...Any loss feels good, and anywhere you read re. weight loss is going to recommend 1-2lbs/week as the healthiest way to lose as well as with the highest success of keeping it off. Good luck!!!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If you have way more than 27 pounds to lose, I suggest you start with 2 pound a week weight loss goal, and if you feel that for whatever reason it is not working for you, then switch to 1 pound a week.
  • hottea30
    hottea30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have tried numerous diets for the past 12 years and counting calories is the easiest and healthiest diet plan that works. You can make it a life style that will help u to loss the weight and keep it off. 1pound a week is how you keep that muscle mass and not look sickly skinny and before u know it has flown an you have reached your goal