Who else does this?

Options
Just out of curiosity, for anyone who works out in a public gym....Do any of you ever quickly glance at the person's Treadmill/Elliptical etc next to you out of curiosity or just to "compare" numbers to your own? I find myself doing this sometimes. I just want to see what others are doing and their HR's and all that good stuff. I think it's kind of funny. Does anyone else ever do this?

Replies

• rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yeah and I wonder how some people can spend over 60 minutes on them!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I would do that...I mean--I can read pretty fast upside down. I have to warn people about that (sometimes)!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Nope, I just watch the guys in the weight area to see if they are pressing anything near my weight. Always nice to wonder what THEY can handle.

Seriously though, I usually spend so much time on the bike that there is no one around me to compare with...I bring a book so I don't get bored, when not watching the guys lifting, that is. I was quite serious about that.
  • kya101
    kya101 Posts: 37
    Options
    Yeah, I totally used to do that when I went to the gym to see if I was slacking or how much more I needed to do to keep up. I'm pretty competitive by nature and can't help myself sometimes but to compare : /
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I try! I am so short I can't usually see it!
  • SexSeaCow
    SexSeaCow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Of course! Nothing like a little competition to keep me on the elliptical a bit longer. :) I'm pretty sure everybody does it.
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I usually glance only if it's a woman. And I'm looking at the machine......
  • radlosing
    Options
    hahaha i always try looking but am never able to focus long enough (cause i'm moving, haha) to read it!

But i always try to push myself to say on the treadmill longer than the person next to me. nice way to trick my body by being a little competitive. :)
  • riacurtis
    riacurtis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh I do That all the time on the treadmill. I silently try to out run the person next to me.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Only with the guy that looks like Johan Franzen. He usually jumps on the elliptical next to me, and I try my hardest to out-do him.

Never happens.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Can't see a thing in my gym and my time goes fastest to me when I do my thing and concentrate on that or talk with someone :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I compare puddles of SWEAT!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Haha...yeah, I do this. I feel like it's wrong because I don't want to be comparing myself to anyone else, but I can't help but be curious sometimes.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time!!!
    I am always looking at their speed, time and calories burned!
    Or watching them going GEEZE I wish I could do that!
    I love my gym LOL
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I try not to since some people get so easily offended, but it tends to happen more frequently than I'd actually want. Just earlier today, I was glancing over at this lady's treadmill stats. I was scared she'd think I was being rude or condescending though.
  • AndrewTheWise
    Options
    Dropping the two cents bomb in 5...4...3...2...1... Treadmills are really boring to me. I really REALLY like running on trails. The roads are a little rough on the knees, so I like to alternate with cycling. My expensive treadmill collects dust. :(

More on topic, running beside someone is good motivation to out-do them. It's good to have some competition. That's why I frequent the local 5k runs. It makes me go faster. Looking at someone's stats is perfectly fine...unless the give you dirty looks.
  • asaba1013
    Options
    i usually peek at their incline/resistance!!! sometimes people are just moving sooo fast but then i realize its because they arent using any resistance! mean while, im kinda slow looking and my resistance is at the max!!!
  • Johnny_Castle
    Options
    I only do it if the person next to me is interesting in some way. and I can never get myself to look long enough to be able to see the number as I feel very awkward and uncomfortable doing this...By interesting I mean a hot girl or if it's a huge, ripped guy I want to see how he works out that made him look like that...I did this today actually
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Haha...yeah, I do this. I feel like it's wrong because I don't want to be comparing myself to anyone else, but I can't help but be curious sometimes.

im the same lol:-)
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Guilty! Why do the ripped guys walk on the treadmill at a snails pace in sweatshirts and hats? Really? Can someone give me an honest answer?