Running Problem - Please Help!

Options
So I was a runner in high school, (cross country, basketball & track). I have gotten out of shape after college and am trying to get back into shape. I LOVE to run.

On tonight's run, I had severe pain, under my ribs, on one side. I did not have this earlier in the day and after I quit running it went away. In all of my running experience I have never had side pain.

How do I prevent this from happening again and what caused it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Sounds like a side stitch to me. From what I recall it has to do with your breathing. Gotta learn to regulate your breathing properly.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I had this problem a couple months ago and asked a question on here as well. It probably has to do with the way you're breathing while running. My problem was that I would actually focus on breathing while running, and people told me just run, don't think about it, and it works! Also, hydrate! :)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a side stitch to me. From what I recall it has to do with your breathing. Gotta learn to regulate your breathing properly.
    That.
  • fukuyama
    Options
    Don`t drink too much before you run.
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing every time I run! Was wondering about this too.
  • radlosing
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch

work on breathing. I still have this problem though.....so I probably couldn't help you there.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options

^^^ this!
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone and would add to be mindful of any carbonated beverages before running

God bless,
    Karen
  • aliria
    aliria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    side stitches come from excess lactic acid build up or "acidosis." To decrease your body's pH you naturally blow off CO2, but if you're running and not breathing OUT enough, you can retain CO2 and therefore continue to drop your pH leading to more sustained acidosis-->more stitches. Bottom line- like they were saying- focus on your breathing and blowing out more than you normally would. It isn't an instant fix, but if you concentrate on this from the beginning, you can often prevent a stitch from coming on.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    the only time I've ever had a side stitch was when I ate right before I ran...not sure if that helps or not.
  • brandy130lbs
    brandy130lbs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hydrate. You need to hydrate prior to your run. I am training for a marathon and have to hydrate the day before. You can not just drink a glass of water before your run, your body needs to be fully hydrated.

According to Wikipedia:

Drink water or fluids. Dehydration is a common cause of side stitches. [3]
    Improve fitness
    Strengthen the diaphragm by using exercises such as those that aid respiratory rehabilitation[4][not in citation given]
    Strengthen core muscles (abdominals, lower back, obliques)
    Limit consumption of food and drink, two to three hours before exercising (in particular, drinks of high carbohydrate content and osmolarity (reconstituted fruit juices))
    Drink water beforehand to prevent muscle cramps
    Warm up properly
    Gradually increase exercise intensity when running
    Run on soft surfaces
    Deep breathing with full exhalation
    Slow the pace of the exercise.
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above, but what works for me is doing side stretches before going out. What is likely happening is that you're getting a cramp in the litte muscles between your ribs, so you want to stretch those out a bit. I also start off jogging really slow until I'm warmed up and do a couple of very deep breaths before I increase my pace.
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I figured it was a side stitch but didn't know how to prevent it.

I will try some of these suggestions and see if it helps!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    def a side stitch.

I find I always get a side stitch on my right side.

But as soon as I pay attention to my breathing I notice that my breath out is on my right foot. Hence the stitch.
    If I breathe out on my left foot (when it hits the ground), no stitch.
  • allenpearcy
    allenpearcy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Regulate breathing...don't drink too much, yet I have found that too little water can cause me to cramp as well.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Most athletes have experienced a side stitch or side ache at one time or another during exercise. That sharp, localized twinge of pain just below the rib cage that usually occurs on the the right lower abdomen. It is particularly common in runners and has been known to slow some athletes down to a walk until the pain subsides.
    Today, researchers refer to this nagging abdominal pain by the much more technical and scientific term, "exercise-related transient abdominal pain" (ETAP). Regardless of what you call it, the pain is often enough to stop runners and swimmers in their tracks and hold their sides in agony.

Causes of Side Stitch (Exercise-related Transient Abdominal Pain
    While there is still no definitive explanation for the cause of a side stitch, there are several very convincing theories. The majority of the researchers believe that it has a lot to do with what we eat before we exercise.
    Several studies agree that ETAP is most common in running and swimming. The pain is described as well-localized in the right or left lower abdomen. The pain of the side stitch often interfered with performance, but wasn't related to the athlete's gender or body mass index. ETAP was far less common in older athletes.

The most important factor in developing ETAP seems to be the timing of the pre-event meal. One study reported that consuming reconstituted fruit juices and beverages high in carbohydrate and osmolality (a measure of concentration), either just before or during exercise triggered the onset of a stitch, particularly in susceptible individuals. The symptoms didn't seem to be related to the amount of food eaten (gastric volume). See: Proper Hydration for Exercise

A more complicated explanation put forth by some researchers is that a side stitch is caused by stretching the ligaments that extend from the diaphragm to the internal organs, particularly the liver. The jarring motion of running while breathing in and out stretches these ligaments. Runners tend to exhale every two or four steps. Most people exhale as the left foot hits the ground, but some people exhale when the right foot hits the ground. It is the later group who seem more prone to get side stitches.

Exhaling when the right foot hits the ground causes greater forces on the liver (which is on the right side just below the rib cage). So just as the liver is dropping down the diaphragm raises for the exhalation. It is believed this repeated stretching leads to spasms in the diaphragm.

What to Do for a Side Stitch
    If you develop a side stitch when running, stop running and place your hand into the right side of your belly and push up while inhaling and exhaling evenly. As you run or swim, try to take even, deep breaths. The stretched ligament theory would argue that shallow breathing tends to increase the risk of a stitch because the diaphragm is always slightly raised and never lowers far enough to allow the ligaments to relax. When this happens the diaphragm becomes stressed and a spasm or "stitch" is more likely.
    Some other ways to alleviate the pain of a side stitch include:

Tips for Preventing a Side Stitch
    Time your pre-race meal to allow it to digest prior to the event
    Avoid drinking reconstituted fruit juices and beverages high in carbohydrate and osmolality before and during exercise
    Stretching may relieve the pain of a stitch. Raise your right arm straight up and lean toward the left. Hold for 30 seconds, release, then stretch the other side.
    Slow down your pace until pain lessens.
    Massage or press on the area with pain. Bend forward to stretch the diaphragm and ease the pain.
    * If you continue to experience pain, see your doctor.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    sounds like side stitch. Have you been hydrating yourself? Also have you been taking deep breaths while running?