no sugar added candy

Options
so i saw some at the pharmacy section in diabetic section.. no suugar added candy, peach fizzy, gummy bears anyone have them instead the real stuff or did everyone just cut everything out totally? i did not get a pack but i think i should have since all i keep thinking about is gummy bears now:grumble:

Replies

• mindfulmunching
    mindfulmunching Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    eat too much and you may have anal leakage and farts that stink like death....you may look skinny, but your hubbie will be in another room LOL
  • magdamccraven
    magdamccraven Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Most of the "diet" candies I have found are still carby and some give you terrible gas. :blushing:
    Gummies aren't really very high in calories though unless you are specifically targeting lowered sugar why not just add them in and count calories accordingly?
  • lalala06
    lalala06 Posts: 153
    Options
    haha:laugh: so i guess it was a good choice of not buying them? :bigsmile:
  • Yougrin
    Options
    this is a true statement! Too much diet anything effects your digestive system :sick:
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I bought them for my husband (he's diabetic) thinking I was doing a good turn. He hated them - said if he needed something sweet that badly he'd buy the real thing.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    They aren't really much lower cal (if at all) than the regular versions and the chemical sugar replacement is worse for you (if you don't have sugar sensitive issues like diabetes) than just regular sugar.

If you really want the gummy treat, just buy the regular stuff, measure out a portion, fit it into your daily goals and enjoy the real thing. It will be much more satisfying than the more chemically stuff anyway. :)
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Everyone is basically right so far. They taste okay, but the replace sugar with sugar alcohols - manitol, sorbitol, xylitol, etc. They have somewhat lower Calories, but their designed purpose is avoid causing sugar spikes in diabetics.

The sugar alcohols are not digested by humans, but by the bacterial flora in your gut. If you eat too many, you WILL have digestive discomfort. If you do not have a healthy probiotic bacteria population in your gut, the sugar alcohols will pass through undigested and cause diarrhea. If you do have enough good bacteria, they will digest the sugar alcohols and create a lot of methane - so no runs, but lots of gas. It's a bad deal either way.

Unless you're diabetic, you're better off just eating regular chocolate or candy. A ghiradelli dark square only has about 50 Cal. Hard candies and gummies are darn near free unless you gorge on them.