Low Carb, High Protein and Iron

Options
So according to my food diary I keep going over on carbs and under on protein and iron. I've always wondered if I was anemic and I know I never get enough iron. That's probably why I'm always so tired and can't focus (among other reasons like college). So, do you all know of any foods that might help me out? Don't even say liver, that's for the fishes. I'm not very big on meat in general but willing to try any suggestions.

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    If you cook with an iron skillet you will actually get some iron in your food too. I think supplements are ok for iron. As far as protein, meat is really the easiest (lowest cal, lowest carb way to get protein) but there's greek yogurt, protein shakes (I like the GNC one Amp Wheybolic) and there are recipes for protein bars you can make-like pumpkin bars and cinnamon apple bars:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Recipes
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    dark leafy greens
    red meat
    pate (hahahaha really, but ewww!!)

I was super anemic for years. I take an iron supplement to meet my iron. it's the only way I get enough and I eat red meat and dark leafy greens!

when you DO take iron, avoid having calcium at the same time. vitamin C helps the absorption of iron.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin with iron. Otherwise I tend to be anemic, and I eat red meat a couple of times a week.
  • RunnerD9000
    RunnerD9000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I eat clams, I get Snows chops baby clams in a can. It is like $2 a can and 88 calories and 10.5 grams protein which is a great protein to total calorie ratio.

The Reese smoked baby clams are similar price and come in a little peel away lid and are 2 servings each with 60% daily iron i forget the calories, but they are in the MFP database.

I'm not sure how they can dictate the iron % when amount required varies greatly by person's age and gender, but needless to say its got quite a bit. The smoked ones come in oil that i just drain off. They aren't pretty to look at, but reasonably tasty.

Lifeway Kefir also has a good protein to calorie ratio, although not significant in iron.

quinoa is a good 'grain' (seed) for protein. i get the flakes and just make it like oatmeal.

only meat i eat is certain seafood ( clams, wild caught salmon ) so i have to make some efforts but i do just fine without red meat.

Previous posters tips about cooking in a iron skillet and also consuming vitamin C laced foods (red peppers, tomatoes ) with the iron foods increases iron absorption.

I have also read to NOT drink tea or coffee with your meals as they reduce iron absorption.
  • Munkyzilla
    Options
    I don't know all the answers but here are some things that have affected my energy (and part of why I'm on a high protein, low carb nutrition plan).

Vitamin D. If you aren't getting enough, it can afffect you. See if you need supplements. A routine blood test showed I'm not getting or absorbing it, so I take a whopping 10,000 ml a day. Find out how much your doc recommends, if you're low.

Spiking/crashing blood sugar. All those carbs play havoc with your energy level. I've cut almost all carbs and sugars, and I already feel better.

Failure to exercise. Exercise more, and the endorphins will step up and help.

I'm eating a lot of kale and green veggies now. Yum! And it's taking work, but I'm eating more protein. Protein first thing in the morning instead of a bagel helps. Milk has a ton of carbs, which is a heartbreaker for me. I don't need dairy much, but god I miss lattes.

I hope you find your balance. I swear our society is bombarded with carbs - all the good munchy and chewy things are carb, carb, carbs! Ugh!

Maybe it's a matter of shifting my tastebuds and getting used to it. I just ditched all the carbs a week ago, but I'm sticking with it a while.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions. These really help! Now I need to do some grocery shopping...