5'-5" - 5'6" Pear Shapes.. I need some advice!

Options
nedbun
nedbun Posts: 36 Member
Hello, All!

So here I am, 16 solid pounds into my 25 pound goal. Initially I selected my goal based on the high end of the "healthy weight" range for my height.

When I started I scoffed at 25 pounds, but now that it's so close, I feel like it may not be enough to achieve the body I'm looking for. The problem is because of my body type the scale is always deceiving and I can't really rely on the weights posted by most MFP gals that are the same height as me.

I'm losing motivation because I feel like my goal is not sufficient and to be honest after 16 pounds I don't feel very much difference.

Do any of you have before and after pictures you can post and/or what weight you started and ended at so I can get a better gauge of what I should be shooting for?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• upsidedownpear
    upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'6 and pear shaped.. and have always been that way, even when I was not in the overweight zone.. I think you look very pretty and once you hit your goal you can focus on toning..

waiting to see pear shaped ladies post their success pics :)
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    well, I'm 5'4 pear. Though in my before afters in my profile photo album its hard to tell how big bootied i really am. lol. you can take a peep if i count. I lost far more than you though. nOT sure if thats an ok qualification. i got pretty big after quitting smoking and all. now not so bad but want more. I'm aiming for the mid-lower end of my healthy weight range. also... try

http://www.mybodygallery.com/

you can do specific searches of REAL WOMEN
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I think you should reach your goal weight before you begin to re-evaluate.

Its hard to compare your body to others because we are all different and carry weight in different places. We all have different muscle mass too.

My girlfriend and I used to wear the same size clothes but I was 10 pounds heavier than her because I was more athletic. We were the "same" yet very different.
  • nedbun
    Options
    I'm about 5'6 and pear shaped.. and have always been that way, even when I was not in the overweight zone.. I think you look very pretty and once you hit your goal you can focus on toning..

waiting to see pear shaped ladies post their success pics :)

I've always had a big butt! Even before I had curves as a baby. It's crazy! I started at 180 (which everyone finds hard to believe) and now I'm 164. I'm shooting for 155, but we will see where I end up.

Thanks for the compliment. :)
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would wait until you've reached your goal and then decide if you need to lose anymore. I am very "dense". I weigh 164lbs but I've been told I weight 140 or less (by more than one person, including people who don't HAVE to be nice to me lol). So I know if I went down to 140 that there is a chance I could look 120 and maybe that would be too thin for me.

You might even decide that you need to put on some muscle instead of lose weight. I wouldn't go by "healthy BMI". Just by the way you feel.
  • upsidedownpear
    upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I've always had a big butt! Even before I had curves as a baby. It's crazy! I started at 180 (which everyone finds hard to believe) and now I'm 164. I'm shooting for 155, but we will see where I end up.

Thanks for the compliment. :)
    [/quote]

LOL!! I had a big butt and big thighs when I was a baby too !! and like you said, people never believed how much I really weighed.. (not that i was very open about it :p) ..
  • nedbun
    Options
    You guys are right... I'm being impatient.

I know that 9 pounds from now I will take a little break and let my body settle before I decide to lose more on top of that. I have a lot of muscle mass already, which has always been part of the reason I weigh more than I look.

Thanks for that great website! It really helps to see how I compare to other people and not pay attention to the number so much as how I look and feel.

You guys are awesome. :)
  • erialsea
    erialsea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i will message you
  • kevtaikeymama
    kevtaikeymama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    8859344.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    I think if you add weights it might help.
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Lose the last few pounds first then see if you need to lose more. I'm 5'5 and have set my goal to 150lbs - I know for a fact that I will probably lose more when I reach that weight, but my goal for now is to have a healthy BMI and that weight will take me there.

Good luck, you've already done great so far!
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Instead of a weight loss goal aim for an inch loss one. I am 5'1 and a bit :happy: and have spent most of my adult life with hips >40". My main target is to get to 39" and best of all to fit into an old pair of size 10 jeans (UK size 10). I have to shop carefully to get the right cut in jeans as I can have up to a 13" difference between my waist and hips - lowrise jeans work best but that requires a flat stomach so that is another goal!

Try Jillian Michaels 30DS to shave off a few inches so you can 'see' the weight loss you have achieved.
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and pear-shaped myself. I weighed 174 when I started on my journey to a healthier lifestyle in June. As of today I am down to 149 and still have quite a bit left to lose. I can fit into most size 10 (US sizing) jeans and that is great. But it is NOT where I want to be. I am working more towards toning the muscle and losing inches. Started the c25k program and LOVE it! Running is helping a lot with the legs. Also just started the Jillian Michaels Killer Buns and Thighs this week. It is vigorous and heart pumping but I can feel it in my legs and butt! Those are my problem areas.
  • nedbun
    Options
    Instead of a weight loss goal aim for an inch loss one. I am 5'1 and a bit :happy: and have spent most of my adult life with hips >40". My main target is to get to 39" and best of all to fit into an old pair of size 10 jeans (UK size 10). I have to shop carefully to get the right cut in jeans as I can have up to a 13" difference between my waist and hips - lowrise jeans work best but that requires a flat stomach so that is another goal!

Try Jillian Michaels 30DS to shave off a few inches so you can 'see' the weight loss you have achieved.

So far I've lost 4 inches in the waist and hips. Typically there is about a 14" difference between my waist and hips. Right now I'm 34-26-41. My goal would be to be around 38 in the hips, which would make me about a size 6-8. My stomach is pretty flat as I never really gain weight in that area and same goes for my arms. It's all in my thighs!

I've always had trouble finding pants that fit my tiny waist and everything else, but found my golden pair; Old Navy's Sweetheart jeans will always fit me no matter what in a size 10! I've been buying these for years, which has made my life a lot easier, but because of my weight fluctuation I tend to lose pants to ripped seams in the thighs.

I added weight training a month or so ago and it has helped to consistently propel weight loss for me. I'm slowly adding more resistance training to create a more balanced routine combination.
  • dlynnkind
    dlynnkind Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and started at 178.4. Currently at 158.4. My goal was originally set at 150. But I may revisit when I get there. Still have some work to do on toning esp in my legs and butt. First time posting pics so hope this works

Dana

front1784to1584.jpg

side1784to1584.jpg

Back1784to1584.jpg]
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and my current weight is 135 pounds.. I'm planning to go down to 125-130. My highest weight was 1770 :( (start of this year!)

I've lost all the weight by July and I've been maintaining at 135 since...now I'm back on weight loss again. This is what I look like (this pic is from July)... Fell off the wagon for a bit (didn't gain, but didn't lose either)...so I'm back on MFP and weight loss!

This is what 135 pounds on a 5'5 looks like
    IMG_1059.jpg
  • mrsjohnson75
    mrsjohnson75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 144 and I'm 5'5" (look at my profile pic).

My goal is 135.....right where fatty2fit88 is now :flowerforyou:
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    IMG_1063-1.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!