Weight loss help. Gained??

Options
I know weight doesn’t define our success but I went to weigh myself for the first time in 3 weeks and I gained 4.5 pounds. My time of month is way over. I used the bathroom before weighing myself too. I just don’t understand. So then I took tape measurements and it seems like I might have gained a half to an inch here and there.
I’m fed up with not succeeding. This doesn’t mean I’m going to stop exercising or eating healthy or anything like that but with all my hard work, it’s only natural that I wanna see progress. I need some help.
I guess I should add that about 4 weeks ago I started religiously strength training 3 times a week and running at least 3 times a week. I thought I should have seem progress.

Replies

• flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    You should open your diary and people will chime in...

There could be hundred of reasons why you are gaining weight not losing (could be for healthy reasons, and some not so healthy ones).

Oh and FYI, the last few pounds (since you say this in your profile) can be a true nightmare to lose... Maybe push your boundaries with some HIIT training, but normally you should only resort to such trickery only after you have plateau-ed for a while! (don't play all your cards right now!)
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree. Open your diary and let us take a peek and maybe someone can help.
  • Tencie0615
    Tencie0615 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i feel your pain...been eating more healthy drinking lots more water and 2 1/2 weeks ago started kickboxing and weight resistance classes and nothing! i figured i would see something by now just with the eating and water but nothing!!!!! but im not giving up!! hang in there!!!:flowerforyou:
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up. Since you started running and strength training you may have gained muscle which is a good thing. Hang in there :wink: No one said this was easy because it's not. Stay strong... maybe recalculate your calories and make sure you're not eating too many. Too many calories is the only way you could have gained unless you gained muscle. You can do this. I wish you the best of luck!!
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, another thing I do is I make sure I am eating something healthy every 2 to 3 hours to keep my metabolism in the burn mode. I have been strict by this and when away from the scale I am still losing and when the weight is not so much I definitly see it in the clothes or the inches are down.
  • ranariad
    ranariad Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I actually had taken a break from calorie counting and kept my intake at 1800. But I'll go ahead and open it and please look back to a few weeks and those would be my typical days. Thank you:)
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Could be simply due to water retention from all that strength training. Maybe you aren't staying hydrated enough?

Could be many other reasons... perhaps fat turning into muscle (doesn't explain the inch gain, I know). At times our bodies simply take a while to adapt to unexpected changes to daily regimes..

Personally, I haven't had scale losses for a few weeks now and I strength train + cardio every other day as well. But I know I am making healthier choices in terms of food and exercise is beneficial to the body so I keep doing it.

You will eventually see improvements.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Have a great day!!
  • diekoi
    Options
    I am having the same issue, but it finally dawned on me- I think it may be muscle. I have added weight training in my routine this week. That combined with a high protein diet- well there ya go. Anyway, perhaps this is your issue too? Just a thought :smile:
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Can't see much from your diary as there are only a few days completed... how long have you been logging for?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    nutrition 80% exercise about the other 20% (this is what that guy told me @ the gym, lol) :happy: anyway, drinking enough water? consider how much you weigh and think about if your goal is realistic. if you're already pretty small, I only assume it'll take a little longer for you since you don't have far to go. some might say if could be over-training and if you're going to do that then eat more calories than normal
  • ranariad
    Options
    Sorry I haven't tracked for a few weeks. Please go back to about November 1st and there should be weeks and weeks of typical days all tracked and filled out. (I was trying another app for a few weeks for counting calories but I'm back to MFP).
    I have been stuck in a plateau of weight loss for about 8 months now. I've been exercising and eating healthy but I started getting serious about weight training about a month ago, maybe a little over a month actually. A plateau for 8 months is just way too much. I tried changing my calorie goals anywhere from 1200-1600 in the past 8 months and nothing. no change. I'm 5'2" 19 years old. I weighed 132 for FOREVER. Today I saw 136.5
  • ranariad
    Options
    Can't see much from your diary as there are only a few days completed... how long have you been logging for?

Sorry I haven't tracked for a few weeks. Please go back to about November 1st and there should be weeks and weeks of typical days all tracked and filled out. (I was trying another app for a few weeks for counting calories but I'm back to MFP).