Hello, I am a quitter

Options
I quit smoking about a month ago and I am going forward with a new lifestyle. Just wanted to say hello to everyone! I am eating all natural foods for my lifestyle change and would love to make some friends who also eat all natural foods. Really anyone who can talk about this lifestyle change with me so I don't run my fiance off with all the talk about new things I am learning everyday about diet and exercise and recipes. :wink:

Replies

• graypink0130
    Options
    I quit smoking about a month ago and I am going forward with a new lifestyle. Just wanted to say hello to everyone! I am eating all natural foods for my lifestyle change and would love to make some friends who also eat all natural foods. Really anyone who can talk about this lifestyle change with me so I don't run my fiance off with all the talk about new things I am learning everyday about diet and exercise and recipes. :wink:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I'm a quitter too - about 6 months now.

Good luck to you.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Welcome:flowerforyou:
    You will do great and don't run your fiance off you might miss him:laugh:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome:flowerforyou: I would like to be a quieter, I've only cut them down in 1/2 , how did you quit? You will get great help on here from people who have more experience and knowledge then I do. :smile: I am still learning. Congratulations on a very healthy life choice.:flowerforyou:
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    I quit smoking many years ago but have struggled with other addictions since—food probably chief among them. Through it all I've always managed to eat well, if not too well, and have a passion for fresh, healthy, food. I also love to cook so I'm always looking for new ways to integrate my bi-weekly Planet Organics delivery into the menu.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading Michael Pollan's bestseller The Omnivore's Dilemma. It makes a helluva case for never, ever consuming anything other than fresh, local food whenever possible. It also drives home the point that the food choices we make are not only important physically but politically.

Anyway--tell your fiancé to hang in there. It's in his best interest, too, that you're changing your behavior.
  • graypink0130
    Options
    I actually quit cold turkey. I quit while I was on vacation because I figured there was less stress in my life at that point. I had been trying to quit for about a year, but nothing like a relaxing vacation to get away from your normal routines to change your old habits. Thats the only advice I have unfortunately. I am an all or nothing girl myself so there are very rarely any instances where I can control myself to just a few cigs a day. I always try to remeber eisteins saying when I am trying to change a habit.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

If you have been trying to quit for a while, make sure you are trying new things to try and help yourself quit, and one way you will.
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi...i quit 16 years ago...the first time...via laser therapy...its great...totally takes the coldturkey cravings away until most of the nicotine has left your system. But you do experience grief symptoms...its like losing a best friend. Immediate after eating you need that cigarette...What's a cuppa coffee without a cigarette...a drink...cigarette..driving ...cigarette...it required a strong will to quit then.

Last spring I presented with a spinal injury that I just woke up with one morning..the pain was excruciating and I was a wreck especially since there wasn't a pain reliever, muscle relaxer or anti-inflammatory drug that could alleviate it. My husband bought me a pack of cigarettes and ironically it helped me breathe...after that first puff...within a week i was smoking a pack a day...no foolin!

It really drove home to me just HOW addicting nicotine is. Just one puff reminded me of how much I enjoyed a cigarette despite the information that we now know about how harmful nicotine addiction is.

At a sum of $310 dollars I drove two hours to a laser center that again stopped me from smoking. This time my husband said he didn't even notice..it seemed so easy. I know this is expensive..but at $10 for a large pack of kingsize cigarettes was to be a more expensive venture.

So I applaud your efforts...just make sure you don't replace your cigarettes with food and you are free.

Another thing that makes you so incredible is you do realize the you need to STOP...reducing the number of cigarettes doesn't allow for the nicotine to leave your system...at that point you are still addicted. I know now that I won't ever be talking another "one puff" ~ when it comes to nicotine, there is no such thing.

As far as your fiance....any lifestyle change you make will affect him...so he best start talking to you about it :laugh:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Whole food eating...

I'd love to share recipes and ideas about natural and organic eating... we are whole food eaters (except we don't buy organic meat - FAR too expensive - but we mainly eat fish, with a little chicken and turkey, and red meat once in a blue moon). We love roasted chick peas for snacking, seeds, hummus and veg, etc.

I have to admit that MFP has been a bit of a "change" for me, in that I am buying some terribly unatural foods, such as these 5 cal Jello cups, and diet coke (I know it's really bad - no judgement please) so that I have some no calorie snacks for the evenings. :blushing: I acutally felt a little embarrassed with it in my cart, but I try not to eat too much of it. The old me would have cringed at the thought of eating this stuff, but it is helping with the weight loss, so I am going to do it short term.

:smile: