Contraceptive pill

Hi ladies :)

I've just started taking the pill 'Loestrin 20' and was just wondering if any of you have gained weight from this or from any other pill?

:smile:

Replies

• tashstodd
    tashstodd Posts: 11 Member
    I used to use Cyclin, it made me retain water pretty badly, when I stopped taking it it was almost an instant 5lb weight loss a few days later!
  • Becca619
    Becca619 Posts: 91 Member
    I was on the pill before kids and am on it again, it's never caused any weight issues for me. I think it all depends on the woman and how her body reacts to it. Before kids I was able to lose weight and maintain and when I initially started the pill my weight never changed. Same this time around too.
  • Most of the new pills have fairly low doses of hormones, so they tend to cause less weight gain than the older "model" BCP. I took Loestrin in the past and did not have weight gain.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    I have had some pills where I gained 20 lbs almost immediately, and others that didn't affect me at all. You will find out pretty quickly if it is going to affect your weight. Pregnancy has a funny way of making you gain alot of weight though too, and it just keeps growing and needing you for everything for the next 18-20 years!
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    I am on Tri-Cyclin and have never had any problems with weight gain/loss.
  • FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    I went off birth control period just becuase it made me feel soooo crappy and made it hard for me to lose the weight. I dropped 10 lbs in a month from stopping the pill.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    It is such an individual thing. Everyone's body reacts differently to different meds (including bcp's). Are you experiencing weight gain or worried about it? I don't gain weight on it (generally speaking) but I don't gain weight at TOM either usually...good luck!
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,079 Member
    used to take it and it made me gain like 5lbs stopped and dropped it in days lol probabluy all water weight
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    i am on the Diane for my skin, (which is a contraceptive pill)... it does make me a lot more hungry than normal I suspect and gained weight and am finding it hard to come off, it's coming off just taking it;s time.
  • cmp04d
    cmp04d Posts: 59 Member
    I started taking Loestrin 24 the same week I started using MFP. So far it has not caused any weight gain, and I have been losing steadily.
  • nldsmiley
    nldsmiley Posts: 38 Member
    I hate birth control pills! I have the non-hormone IUD and it is good for 10 years. No need to worry about a pill or some darn hormones making me feel weird or gain weight. I love it!!
  • abitzan
    abitzan Posts: 85 Member
    I was on Nuvaring, it was amazing and I didn't have any side effects on it or when I got off. Plus it is super convinent.
  • CateLouise
    CateLouise Posts: 60 Member
    it effects everyone differently
    if you are finding you are gaining weight its most likely because it makes you hungry
    to combat this you can take it at night that way you cant eat more because you are asleep =D
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I was on "Cilest" until April this year. I stayed the same, gained weight and lost weight all while on it - I don't blame it on the pill, it was my own poor food choices.

I did a bit of research though into the contraceptive pill and fat loss / strength gains while on it, it's worth the research if you want to find more about it. I read that the pill can cause increased levels of the stress hormone cortisol making it harder to lose body fat, and also reducing natural testosterone levels (making it harder to gain strength/muscle)
    Note that it's not impossible at all. I lost all the weight I wanted while on it just through exercising and eating well. Also, getting pregnant is a lot worse for many people than not being able to get a bit lower body fat. There are positives to the pill too, you have to weigh up the pros and cons really.

I chose to stop taking it mainly because I didn't want anything holding back strength/muscle gains, and I have no issue with other contraceptives. I wasn't on the pill for any medical reasons either.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    I am on Tri-Cyclin and have never had any problems with weight gain/loss.

This. No problems here, either
  • RieBerg
    RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
    Don't take it! It made me put on 30 pounds, slowly put surely. Problem was it was impossible to lose weight no matter how much I worked out and how little I ate until I got off it.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    I was on Marvelon for years and never gave me any problems but doc won't give me that now. Hated the Injection tho, thats when my weight 'battle' started. IUD made me bleed all the time, now I've got the Mirena coil and its great, no more cramps or bleeding ;0)
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    I was on "Cilest" until April this year. I stayed the same, gained weight and lost weight all while on it - I don't blame it on the pill, it was my own poor food choices.

I did a bit of research though into the contraceptive pill and fat loss / strength gains while on it, it's worth the research if you want to find more about it. I read that the pill can cause increased levels of the stress hormone cortisol making it harder to lose body fat, and also reducing natural testosterone levels (making it harder to gain strength/muscle)
    Note that it's not impossible at all. I lost all the weight I wanted while on it just through exercising and eating well. Also, getting pregnant is a lot worse for many people than not being able to get a bit lower body fat. There are positives to the pill too, you have to weigh up the pros and cons really.

I chose to stop taking it mainly because I didn't want anything holding back strength/muscle gains, and I have no issue with other contraceptives. I wasn't on the pill for any medical reasons either.

Ive been on the pill for the last 10 years (cilest being the last one I was taking - think I have taken 2 others as well). I had no problems with my weight - not that I would blame the pill for anyway.

I have just stopped taking it so I will see if it changes in anyway. x
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I was on the pill in one form or another for 13 years. I did gain weight while on it, but not because of it.
  • litlpineapple
    litlpineapple Posts: 63 Member
    I've been on Loestrin FE for about a year and a half and LOVE it! It's a higher iron version Loestrin (24.) When I first started it I noticed the girls were a little sore but after about 2 full cycles my body was completely adjusted. Although I started taking it before I started to consciously monitor my weight and intake, it hasn't prevented or hindered my weightless since starting MFP this summer.