trying to lose weight, but keep putting it on!

Options
Hey everyone, getting really frustrated at the minute. I'm tracking everything I eat, and trying my hardest to stay under my calorie goals per day, and getting enough excersise everyday, yet somehhow I still manage to put on weight! In the past two weeks I have put on 10lbs :( Now I'm not pregnant or anything like that FACT! Anyone got any tips on what I can do to stop gaining weight and start to lose it please?? Thank you :) x

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public so people can give advice.

There's a lot of things you could be doing wrong...not drinking enough water, eating too much sodium, working out too much and not eating enough exercise calories back... Its also helpful to note your height/weight and goals....

Hang in there though...I see you just joined this month, so you probably haven't been at it all that long, and these things take time for your body to adjust and respond.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Eat ALL the calories MFP tells you to, including your exercise calories.
    Eat those calories in fresh unprocessed foods (fresh fruits and vegetables and lean meat).
    Drink lots of water.
    Get plenty of exercise and plenty of sleep too.
    Be patient.

Weight will drop.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It's pure mathematics and a scientific impossibility for you NOT to lose if you are eating less than you are burning in a healthy range. You are either doing something wrong or perhaps losing inches. Try measuring perhaps?
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Eat those calories in fresh unprocessed foods (fresh fruits and vegetables and lean meat).
    Drink lots of water.
    Be patient.

Weight will drop.
    ^ What he said!
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Is your activity level set correctly? If you are eating all of your exercise calories, then you should NOT include formal exercise in your activity level setting (under your fitness profile). Exercise should ONLY be counted in your diary.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water.
    Be patient.

Weight will drop.

Agreed
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Everyone is giving you great advice. I've recently read that sleep is crucial to weight loss, so be sure you're getting your zzz's while tyring to shed your lbs.

Also, I've learned that portion size is very important and I always underestimated mine (resulting in negative results)...like someone told me, your splash of creamer might be more than the 2 tsp serving size...and it goes on and on. Be sure to pay special attention to HOW MUCH, not just what.

Feel free to add me as a friend for support...we're in the same boat!!
    Jen
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Two things that can really mess up the math:
    not measuring your food accurately, and
    trusting the exercise calories burned from MFP without checking them against a heart rate monitor
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    It's pure mathematics and a scientific impossibility for you NOT to lose if you are eating less than you are burning in a healthy range. You are either doing something wrong or perhaps losing inches. Try measuring perhaps?
    Measuring is excellent advice! Make sure you log everything - every day, and adjust the settings to show sodium (I always tell people this because MFP doesn't load it as a default, and after a few weeks on here, I did mine and it was a serious wake up call). Drink your water and eat at least half of your exercise calories.

Another thing to consider...if you're doing a lot of weight-intensive workouts, your muscles might be retaining water to repair themselves. If you're sticking to it...the weight gain you're seeing isn't "real"...and it will drop off once your body adjusts to all the changes.

Not sure how much you have/want to lose, but if its not a lot, it can take longer than someone who is more overweight.
  • Xbella
    Xbella Posts: 14
    Options
    The other thing to consider is what are you eating? The more unprocessed the food the better. Are you eating enough protein? I am in the same boat as you. I recenty joined too and I have managed to lose one pound after putting on several pounds. I know I am losing though because I can fit into my skinny jeans...but not comfortably LOL. Anyways, it takes time to put weight on and it will take time to take it off. Remember this is a life style change and you have new routines to learn. Give yourself sometime to adjust. Try not eating heavy at night and eat a robust breakfast. Eat small and frequently..learn to listen to your body.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Any chance your TOM is due? And someone said that working out too much and not eating enough will make you put on weight. That is simply not true. It may slow your weight loss down, but it wont reverse it.
    Watch your sodium.
    If you are working out a lot you will retain water in your mucsles.
    Watch your carbs as the make you retain more water.
    Count your calories properly. Everything. Milk and sugar in your tea, a candy pinched from someone etc. Everything counts.
    Weigh your food, dont estimate.
    Make sure you are not overestimating exercise calories.
    Account for bowel movements

Just some tips :flowerforyou:
  • jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    Its not just calories and out. Looking at your food diary you need to add sodium as a category! The stuff that you are eating is full of salt! Salt retains so much water and is an underrated weight loss killer. Skip the mcdonalds and make your own breakfast. You could eat so much more good real food. Sausage, chips, breakfast tacos and tv dinners are not a great source of food.

I suggest more veggies, fruits and more low salt proteins. Try chicken, turkey, steak! I promise if you eat cleaner then you will lose weight.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Granted I did not look at many diary entries, but the past two show pretty unhealthy, low nutritive food choice (baked beans for b'fast?). You may want to track your sodium intake and aim to keep it under 2000mg/day. Increase your overall calorie (your intake was 800cal short of goal), but with HEALTHY foods - unprocessed meats, veggies, fruits, whole grains. IT's not just the # of calories you consume, but the quality as well that matters.
  • janeitg
    janeitg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There are some health conditions, for example, your thyroid if you feel you have been accurate with what you have been eating, logging everything accurately and not losing you may want a physical to make sure you don't have a medical condition influencing your results. Also please measure because muscle is heavier than fat and you could gain muscle while losing fat but if that happens your measurements will show it. Good luck.
  • Tonilynn70
    Tonilynn70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I drink water and only water (I'm a diet pepsi addict), the weight falls off... but even if I have been eating healthy and NOT drinking water it stays. Also, if you are doing the same type of exercise you may want to change it up or amp it up.

You can do this!!!
  • rlhunsucker
    rlhunsucker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If everything you say is true (as far as staying at your required calorie level and exercising regularly), something may be wrong. I would see your doctor immediately. Yes, building muscle can add a little weight but 10 lbs in 2 weeks is alot of weight very quickly. I suggest making an appt for your Dr. ASAP. Good luck!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I agree with the PP, track sodium, don't eat so much prepared food, increase fruits & veggies, and drink a ton of water. It may sound boring, but it's better.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public so people can give advice.

There's a lot of things you could be doing wrong...not drinking enough water, eating too much sodium, working out too much and not eating enough exercise calories back... Its also helpful to note your height/weight and goals....

Hang in there though...I see you just joined this month, so you probably haven't been at it all that long, and these things take time for your body to adjust and respond.

I echo this good advice, if you want specific help open your diary and feel free to friend me.
  • adh6846
    adh6846 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    dont rule out the possibility that it could be something else, like many people have problems with their thyroid that can cause weight gain, if you keep doing everything right and keep gaining maybe its time to see a doctor
  • aimhigh4once
    Options
    Hi!! I am new to this but some of the best advice that I have gotten on here is this: "you can't win if you don't keep score" Meaning you really need to be doing the food diary and tracking the workouts for it to be effective. I actually compiled as much information as I could before I started. Knowing the latest studies and what works and what doesn't. I think we all should limit carbs and make a target goal of eating protein at every meal. Keeping the carbs for snacks (like a Nature Valley granola thin) Also you need to add at least 8 glasses of water per day if you haven't already. Limit juice and eat fruit instead....way less calories. Try to stay away from manufactured foods.....they just aren't good for you. Whole grain instead of white breads and chicken instead of beef. Yesterday I was so excited I had Subway with turkey on a whole grain sub with all the veggies I wanted with lite mayo and was still under 350 and the best part I couldn't even eat it all:) I chose dried apples instead of chips and drank water. It was the first time I went out to eat in 8 days. I hope this helps sometimes the little tips go a long way:)