OK...So why did this happen??

Options
I went to the gym Saturday and Sunday and worked out hard. I kept below my calories ( but not too much) and kept my sodium low. It is not TOM... I don't get that anymore.

I stepped on the scale thinking I should be down and *POOF* it was up 2 1/2 pounds.

I had an awesome massage yesterday...do massages make you gain weight??

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym Saturday and Sunday and worked out hard. I kept below my calories ( but not too much) and kept my sodium low. It is not TOM... I don't get that anymore.

I stepped on the scale thinking I should be down and *POOF* it was up 2 1/2 pounds.

I had an awesome massage yesterday...do massages make you gain weight??
  • doctork29
    doctork29 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you worked that hard, I am assuming you drank a lot of water which could have lead to water weight gain. Massages are designed to help improve blood flow, so no they shouldn't cause you to gain weight.

Don't worry about a gain over a one day period. Make sure to track everything over a period of time, while keeping a journal about how you felt. Make a note that you worked hard and gained over that one day. Maybe you can notice a trend over time, which will allow you to maybe make adjustments.

The most important thing is to remain positive. I see that you have lost a good amount of weight so far. Keep at it and don't let this one day bother you. Getting down about a one day gain can lead to more negative feelings, which in turn will create unnecessary stress. And stress is one of those things that will inhibit weight loss no matter how much you eat and exercise.
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    Options
    You don't mention how much below your calories you were....and I am assuming you added all of your exercise calories and ate them, too. It is amazing, but it works in the long run to eat everything you are allowed on your plain! A big amen to what doctor k said....keep up the good work, esp the workouts!!!!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    This often happens along the way - or at least it did for me. It made me was to quit. Done.

But, MFP friends here kept me on track. So... I will say it - keep working at it, keeping your calories in check, and the scale will move. Just keep working toward your goals.
    :flowerforyou:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Did you go poop yet? :happy:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    My mom is a massage therapist and she said that after a massage you DO hold a bit of water. That's why they should tell you to drink LOTS of water. So drink a little more than normal and it should drop off. She said it's to to stretching and digging at those tights muscles. :flowerforyou:
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    Agreed water retention, don't get discouraged. Water retention can make you up and down a couple of pounds here and there. Keep on going, you can do this.:flowerforyou:
  • mRina66
    mRina66 Posts: 38
    Options
    I dont know how it is for everyone else but I always go up 1 or 2 pounds before I dramatically lose some. Like one time I was 155 i went up to 157 even thought I did everything right. But the next day i was at 153. weird but this happens to me all the time. Just make sure u keep a journal this might be a pattern for you.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My mom is a massage therapist and she said that after a massage you DO hold a bit of water. That's why they should tell you to drink LOTS of water. So drink a little more than normal and it should drop off. She said it's to to stretching and digging at those tights muscles. :flowerforyou:

I wish I had a relative that was a massage therapist. I would make them practice all the time!

Thanks for the input everybody