Should You Really Log Housework?

Options

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    NO WAY! :mad: this does anoy me! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    the only exersice i log is when i phisically get off my @ss and do some exersice! :drinker:

I like this one.
  • 4caramel
    4caramel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i just burned 551 cals in 50 min doin housework , i wear a hrm, i usually burn at least 300 doin house work, i eat every 3 to 4 hours and my metabolism has increased sooo much, it works for me....i have three kids so im squating and picking up things alot!
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    the only exersice i log is when i phisically get off my @ss and do some exersice! :drinker:

I like this one.

Each to his own surely? We're each on a personal journey here and should do what we feel is best for us. If your activity level is set as sedentary, then anything on top of that is extra, surely? And exercise doesn't have to be something you do in the gym. More important is constant movement, and nobody should be discouraged from that.
    Don't get mad at other people's methods, encourage them to be active.
    If you run for an hour, good for you. You've raised your heartbeat, worked up a sweat and achieved something personally. If you scrub floors, clean windows and hoover the stairs for an hour, you've raised your heartbeat, worked up a sweat and got a nice clean house. I think both are to be commended, and both burn up cals.
    I do a mixture of both - my normal day is desk-bound, so a day of spring-cleaning needs extra fuel, just like a day when I run. Nobody who is working towards a healthier way of life deserves your anger! Big them up!
  • Ashlea82
    Ashlea82 Posts: 191
    Options
    I've once logged gardening in my log because its something i would never usually do and we spent half a day sweating our *kitten* off pruning bushes and lugging branches around etc.. it was damned hard work
    i also logged cleaning once because we did a full on overhaul of the shed which again is something i would not usually do and it was hard work and worked up a sweat lifting and moving things
    general daily cleaning no i wouldn't log i did that when i wasn't dieting as well\

what other people do is their own business tho i don't really feel the need to get mad about it.. its not my body or my choice
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I like this one.

Each to his own surely? We're each on a personal journey here and should do what we feel is best for us. If your activity level is set as sedentary, then anything on top of that is extra, surely? And exercise doesn't have to be something you do in the gym. More important is constant movement, and nobody should be discouraged from that.
    Don't get mad at other people's methods, encourage them to be active.
    If you run for an hour, good for you. You've raised your heartbeat, worked up a sweat and achieved something personally. If you scrub floors, clean windows and hoover the stairs for an hour, you've raised your heartbeat, worked up a sweat and got a nice clean house. I think both are to be commended, and both burn up cals.
    I do a mixture of both - my normal day is desk-bound, so a day of spring-cleaning needs extra fuel, just like a day when I run. Nobody who is working towards a healthier way of life deserves your anger! Big them up!
    As long as they aren't overestimating the burn(and then eating back an over estimated amount of exercise calories back), it's fine really.
  • tal202
    tal202 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I kind of see housework as bonus calories burnt, just like any walking I do which if 15 minutes or under (e.g. from the train station). I wouldn't log it myself but I do understand that not everyone has the time to hit the gym, and therefore this could be their only legitimate exercise in a day.
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree! Especially when someone "cleaned house" for 2 hours day in and day out.. I wondered,, I mean,, average time it take to clean house is less than a hour daily, but not 2 hours! No Way!

My opinion,, shall we log it,, NO!

Must be nice! I spend HOURS on my house each day. 3 little boys, a slob of a hunk, two fluffy cats, two dogs... Just the dirt tracked in from letting the dogs out 7 times a day?! The fur is NEVER ending, the 'messies!' as our little one calls spills, there are on most days 5 loads of laundry between towels, wet beds, pajamas, uniforms, spilled on, things the dogs got dirty. Each has to be carried up and down the stairs, often with a 23 lb load of toddler on my hip or in the basket atop the laundry.

I use full sized vacuums and carpet cleaners on my stairs and by the time I'm done with them I have certainly worked to a sweat and heavy breathing. My activity level is set to sedentary and sometimes, yes, I log it.

I lost 7 pounds in 2 months with no other form of exercise. That's really not bad. There are days when 12 hours go by before I sit down. In the last 5 weeks I've lost 6 pounds working my butt off biking as much as I can while still keeping up the house, for comparison. Maybe that will lead to 10 pounds in 2 months? Not a whole lot of additional loss considering how often I bike!

I don't log it often, but I log it when I find myself wiping my dripping forehead and saying, "Whew, time for some water."

I don't think it's cheating myself. I think acknowledging that getting off my duff and cleaning the kitchen is good for my house, mind and body is a positive thing.

I guess my answer is: try it and see. If you clean hard and log it for every day for two weeks and lose 3 pounds? Maybe it's a great motivator for you!
  • misstonico
    Options
    I have logged it as exercise the last week or so, as well as the time spent walking around my house, but I'm recovering from emergency abdominal surgery and any movement is exhausting and makes me sweat right now. Normally I would only log it if it was outside of the norm, ie cleaning and organizing the basement storage room or stripping and rewaxing the wood floors.

OTOH, why does anyone care if someone logs it or not? We have no idea if that maybe is the only time someone gets off the couch or out of bed each day. I'm not familiar enough with everyone's circumstances to pass judgement and I'd hate to have someone pass judgement on me without all of the facts about my life.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people logging housework as exercise. I'm not exactly sure why but I'd feel very odd logging this. I have worn my HRM during my housework time the last 2-3 days and on average I'd burn about 100cals for an hour of housework. That's pretty significant for me (considering it would take be about 30-40 mins to burn 100cals doing any other exercise). Should I log it or not? I'm thinking not but just looking for opinions.

Some log this stuff to justify eating more...Makes you feel good about eating more...Cheating..NO Cheating......
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Anything that is something you do consistently on a weekly basis is part of your routine. TDEE is actually calculated as a daily average of weekly calorie burning. Also, sedentary doesn't mean you never move, or do housework of any kind. It means you spend the majority of your day sitting, not the entire day.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I don't because I see it as normal daily activity. I am pretty sure the calculator factors in your BMR + your activity level. Even a sedentary person has some activity in their daily life (including housework and walking to and from shops etc.) I only count exercise if I break a sweat and I get my heart rate up or I'm doing lifting. Even just having a busy day where I walk around a lot I wouldn't count. That's just me though, everybody is different.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Not sure why it annoys you so much - no one is forcing you to add it to your diary!

I think it depends on your activity level settings. If you have been very sedentary and never get off the couch, then doing a full hour of house cleaning would be pretty significant activity, and you should probably log it.
    I have my activity level set at lightly active to cover short walks, carrying stuff around at my work etc so I wouldnt log housework - unless I was doing something major like a full house move out cleane or similar.
  • reedee94
    reedee94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    :smile: In days past I can see myself saying how ridiculous to log housework, however having been diagnosed with MS your whole life changes and doing anything strenuous for me is a real milestone. Having an oH who cycles 30+ miles and gains numerous calories can bring you down. I love the fact that I can log movement of any kind. It makes life more bearable to know that even if I can no longer run or cycle there are things I do which use energy and i enjoy logging. This MFP is not only for athletes we can all make a contribution to our own health but for some of us housework is as much of a milestone as a marathon..:yawn:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people logging housework as exercise. I'm not exactly sure why but I'd feel very odd logging this. I have worn my HRM during my housework time the last 2-3 days and on average I'd burn about 100cals for an hour of housework. That's pretty significant for me (considering it would take be about 30-40 mins to burn 100cals doing any other exercise). Should I log it or not? I'm thinking not but just looking for opinions.
    If it's part of your regular routine, then no. I do house work everyday and don't log it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I got fat doing housework, didn't I? It's not suddenly going to make me skinny just because I'm logging it. It's part of your normal routine. The only way you should log this kind of thing, in my opinion, is if you set your daily burn as zero and also log exercises such as breathing and digesting.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I log things like mopping floors and sweeping leaves, since they get my heart rate up a little and I can actually feel it in my muscles afterward. And since they take away an hour or two of my time I usually don't end up doing formal exercise on those days. I would not log something like cleaning the bathroom, which only takes about 10 minutes and is not much physical effort.

Of course, I'm also someone who logs walking the dogs, wandering around museums, and my leisurely bike ride to work, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.
  • kastiltner
    Options
    I only log it if I am doing some serious cleaning, like cleaning the house from the ceiling to the floors and everything in between and often times I will even shorten the time entered. Say I did some hard cleaning for 60 minutes, I would shorten that in my log to 30 minutes. I sit down at my work all day long so I get no exercise, and I do not deep clean my house everyday either, I wipe down a few things but I do not get down deep and dirty doing my housework on a regular basis. If you break a sweat cleaning your house then it's definitely safe to say you've burned some calories. At the end of the day, it's your decisions, you know what your body has and has not done, if you feel like it was a workout then you should count it. I spend countless hours chasing after a toddler everyday and I know for a fact that I burn tons of calories doing that, but since it is something I do everyday and would do whether or not I was trying to lose weight, I don't count it. It's your choice and your choice alone, I personally don't think that anyone should judge what you log in your diary becuase they do not know what you are capable of and to what extent you have done anything.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I don't log any activity here but if that's your thing housework is one of those "normal routine" things. No different than what you consider normal activity at a day at work - be it picking up boxes, walking around, climbing telephone poles, what have you.

So if you're someone who does A LOT of housework on a weekly basis - let's say you're cleaning up after several kids, etc, then factor it in as a higher activity level as a base calorie intake. Instead of being sedentary, you're lightly active, so on and so forth. If you clean houses for a living, your activity level is higher than your average desk jockey or sedentary individual.

Things that SHOULD be logged are those that go outside of the scope of your normal daily activity level. Chopping wood, for example. Painting your house, etc. Stuff that happens on an infrequent basis and would be out of the norm or require much greater than average effort.
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    If you turn up the music and dance doing your housework, maybe even adding weights to ankles and wrists. If I work up a lot of sweat , I count it. Think " miss Doubtfire" lol.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If it's not an intentional workout, I don't log it. House cleaning is just life.