Am I ever gonna get there?

Options
Let me start off by saying I am thrilled to be where I am today, it is something that I really never thought was possible and that I only dreamed of. My start weight was 292 and I am now 201, I am 5'6". I started on this journey in Jan of 2010. I have gotten off and on track many times but for the most part I have been on and if I did lose track of my goals it was for only maybe 2 weeks at a time. I am extremely proud of myself but yet at the same time feel like I'm never going to get to goal. I don't know if this is a normal feeling or not. My goal is 130. The smallest I have been in my adult life was when I was 18 and 138, I am now 31.

I know when you start losing weight that you lose faster but these last few months just seems to be dragging out so slowly on my progress. I so want to be in onederland but it feels like that goal alone is taking forever. The last few months I'll lose about 2-5 lbs in a week and then not lose anything for the rest of the month even though I'm doing everything right. Its really getting frustrating. I know that my weight is still going down but this pattern has been going on for 3 or 4 months now. I just feel like I should be able to lose more than 2 to 5 lbs a month. I don't know if my body is fighting back cause I was at around 200 for over a year when I was gaining and maybe my body is used to that spot and doesn't want to go lower or if I'm just not doing something right. But then again I have to be doing something right to have lost as much as I have.

Replies

• beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I've felt the same way with the last 15lb, and I still have a lot to go. It will come off. You are doing great. Remember, it can't happen over night, it takes time. The important thing is you're here, you're obviously committed and you are doing amazing.

This is a test of patience and persistence, and the reward will pay out tenfold when you reach your goal, and you are healthy and full of energy for the people who care so much about you..
  • sheila0321
    sheila0321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You are doing fantastic. You are embracing life, that is through the good and bad times. Keep up the amazing work. I hope to come as far and reach my goals. It's been so slow here too.
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to kick start your body again. Kinda like it got into a rut. Maybe try a 2 day cleanse or just take two days in one week to pretty much just exercise your butt off. This will probably get your body going again.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It is so difficult. It has taken me a total of six years to lose 110 pounds (roughly). There were times when I stopped losing, and just maintained for months. Then I would go back to it, lose a few more, and maintain. Yup - took way longer than it should have - but there has NEVER been a single time that I've looked back and had any kind of regret.

I try to remind myself that maintaining or losing is better than a gain any day... and these last six years would have gone by anyway - at least now I've got something at the end.

I'm certainly not saying its going to take you years to lose the rest of the weight. I just didn't have the mental fortitude to go non-stop. But what difference does it make? Don't you feel incredibly good? Did you ever really believe you'd be where you are now?

You have done a phenomenal job - focus on how far you've come rather than what you have left to do. In the grand scheme of things, these months or even a year or two will pale in comparison to the gift you've given yourself when you reach goal.
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    I think you're doing a whole lot of things right. The scale is moving down instead of up and look how long you've been committed and dedicated. This isn't just another attempt, this is the one! I haven't lost as much as you but I do know that this is sure feeling like its taking forever for me too. I set my goal at 160 because I haven't been skinny since childhood and I just can't imagine me actually ever being skinny but its gonna happen. We're just going to have to get used to it! You're doing fantastic. Keep your chin up!
  • kmed131
    Options
    One way to try to see a response in the scale is to switch up your workout. Surprise your body. Right now it is used to the same old routine and it is getting bored! If you run all the time, try to run for just your warm up, then do a few different things at the gym instead. Also, switch your meals! Don't eat the same thing everyday- switch up everything but stay the way you are now. Don't increase or decrease your cals, and definitely don't decrease the workouts! You'll get there.

Also- a known cause of weight gain is stress (stress causes everything!). So stop stressing about the weight loss and that's also when you'll see results. :) Just be happy where you're at! You've come a long way and you should be proud of yourself.
  • rjmlb86
    Options
    First of all - you've lost 92lbs. That. is. awesome.

Now, I'm no dietician or anything but maybe you are plateauing because your body is essentially "bored". It doesn't want to be losing fat, it's contrary to what it thinks it should be doing.

My advice would be to totally change your diet regime. If you're eating x calories, add some more a day (to stop it trying to conserve) but do more in the gym / more exercise. Try to disrupt your body as if you were starting a new diet / fitness strategy.

It may take time, but you are going to reach your goal. And when you look back, you won't think of it as the hard work and struggle it has been, but you'll look back on it with content - because you made it!
  • Gdzgal771
    Gdzgal771 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    DONT get discouragement or disappointment get you down!! keep doing the right things and your body will have to respond in

kind.

WE CAN DO THIS!!! what are your goals set at as far as weight loss per week?? maybe they need to be changed. also zigzagging

works to shock your body into the right mode..you may want to check out zigzagging in the search so you can be sure to get the

concept right.. :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing was just stuck for a year, nothing worked until I totally changed my workouts and some of my eating habits like not eating anything after dinner, you can do it don't get discouraged. I think 5 pounds in a month is good. if you lose slowly and consistently it will stay off rather than yo-yo and down
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am in pretty much the same boat. I started 2/10/10 I don't want to get quite as low as you but my goal was to be at 150 and I have been at 165 for months even though for the most part I have done good d\uring that time. A few bad times but mostly good and kept up and even added exercise. For awhile I got discouraged but now I just keep reminding myself of a saying that I stole when I first started on here and that I LOVED. "Losing weight is not a race it is a journey". I feel sure I will eventually get there...just might take awhile. I didn't get to 280 lbs overnight either...it took years. I keep reminding myself I am in a MUCH better place now and like I said eventually I will see 150. Good luck...just don't give up!
  • grneyedgf
    grneyedgf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing your calorie intake? I was shocked when my doctor told me that if I wanted to weigh 125 lbs, that I would have to live on 1150 calories a day. But that also means that you have to have good nutrition too. My doctor told me to keep my carbs around 50 a day and watch my sodium. Use things like grapefruit and green tea to help your body flush out the fat. Also, change and push your workouts. Your body will get used to the same routine. You've made it so far, don't get discouraged. I know I would get frustrated and I had to take a reality check and admit where I was going wrong. Even if it means starting all over with weighing and measuring food. Try doing 3 days of just protein, once a month. It may give you the kick start you need.
  • rlbean
    Options
    WOW, everybody is so on point.
    Be proud of yourself! You can do it, because you are doing it!! Changing habits is the hardest part. Just be healthy and the rest will follow!! You are so strong. Believe! :)
  • anneke123456
    Options
    I feel like that now. My weight hasnt moved in weeks and I have been busting my *kitten* every day and keeping in my calories. Its disheartening now. I feel I will be this blob forever.