Fibromyalgia and Fitness

Options
2»

Replies

• sharrrina
    sharrrina Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just wanted to say that yes, movement is so important...at least it works for me. I found myself basically living on my couch because of my fibromyalgia...I ate horribly and was increasingly depressed. I was litterly wasting my life away. I finally started omitting as many bad foods from my diet....processed foods, etc...started to feel a bit better and just started walking, only 10 minutes here and there. It was really hard the first few times..I felt like a 90 year old woman! Sheesh..I knew some 90 year olds that were in better shape than me. Keeping at it was my key. Someone mentioned flare ups are just that and they do go away. I couldnt agree more. If I try and stay active, it seems my flare ups dont last as long. Today will be a challenge for me as I am currently in a flare but, I am going to make myself move, move move! Best of luck to all of you fellow fibro sufferers. And know how strong you are for standing up for yourself!
  • aroughneckswife
    Options
    New here but reading what everyone has wrote & now have the "I too can do this mindset!!" Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement & tips to help make things a lil easier.Fibromyalgia is rough on a person but I decided a long time ago I was in charge not my illness so now it's time to lose the weight that's been holding me back from doing more of the things I love ;~}
  • mcpayton
    mcpayton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's hard to make fitness work with fibro some days, but if I don't exercise and eat right, I feel terrible. I would suggest starting out slowly to anyone with FM. I was sick for a while and unable to do much more than work and sleep, but was determined to get back into shape, so I started on the elliptical, doing only 5 minutes the first day. I've worked my way up to 30 minutes when time allows, and I'm doing some light weight lifting, yoga, walking, and stretching as well. It doesn't matter what kind of exercise you do, even walking around Wal-Mart or the mall for 30 minutes counts, as long as you don't stop to shop too much. Hot baths and heating pads help if you get too sore. I take vitamins, too, specifically B12 injections, calcium, vit. D, folic acid, iron, and a B complex. I unfortunately have to take all of those due to vitamin deficiencies, despite a very healthy diet. Being anemic is a great way to add to your fatigue!
  • Bhamil10
    Bhamil10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a nutritionist and new to fitness pro but am really impressed so far by what I've seen! Anyways regarding your question, I have dealt with people suffering from fibromyalgia through my line of work and a lot of people iv spoken really benefit from yoga. Starting with just 5-10 mins a day and gradually increasing the length of the workout to 30 -60mins over time and listening to your body. Some days you may only be able to do 10 mins or certain movements may cause pain, but as I read in a post earlier (sorry I can't remember who it was from) modify the workout accordingly. Increasing your omega-3 intake via fish oils, flax seed oil, walnuts etc is a good idea as this can help relieve some inflammation. Herbals supplements such as willow bark, turmeric, boswelia etc can help with the pain and also a general multi vitamin with a high B complex I.e over 20mg per B vitamin is also a good place to start. Good luck! Bree :)
  • OrangeCamera
    Options
    I also have FM, along with some other medical conditions that cause pain and fatigue. It's so important to listen to your body and keep moving, without over-doing it. The very best thing I've found so far is called "ai chi", which is tai chi in the water. (For the purists out there, I think "ai chi" is a made-up phrase). In any case, it's a good amount of stretching and movement, while being held up by shoulder-deep water. I have joint problems and there's no way I can balance on one leg, so being in the water allows me to do moves that would literally be impossible for me on land. It's gentle movement, range of motion, and also focuses on breathing. I manage to do that about once a week. When I'm having a very good day, I also jog in the water which is low-impact.

FM, like many diseases, is different for each person. So some people are able to push through their pain and fatigue, while others really do need to take time to rest. If you're a person who feels worse for pushing through, then don't do it! But do *something* each day. I don't see the point of doing so much on one day that you can't move for the two following days.

For me, on a GOOD day, I can either load my dishwasher or unload it. Or I can wash a load of laundry at night, toss it in the dryer the next morning, and fold it the following day. On a bad day, I don't even do that much if I can't. But I'll make sure to at least go out to get the mail, or do one or two walking laps around my living room.

For me, the biggest breakthrough was when I stopped beating myself up (emotionally) for not being able to do everything.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm the same and took a can of man up and dealt with it as well as seeking physiotherapy. I'm not going to let a bit of pain get in the way of me exercising and getting strong. Pain is weakness leaving the body.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I've had fibro for around 10 years now.... This may sound harsh but it's like this. You can do what you put your mind up to do. If you want to go squats but are having joint or ligament pain then modify them and don't do them as deeply. I hope you get what I just said? I've been doing p90x which is hard and has caused me to have fibro flareups but it's just that a flare up and they go away. Mind over matter is how I get through it.

This^^^ This woman has it all right. The more you mope, the weaker you'll get and the more you'll suffer. You're going to have to break some barriers at some point. I did, that's how I managed to pass my medical to get into the military..it took 18 months though. Hard work, dedication ,commitment and knowing to push my body and that "hurt"/pain is not damage. It in fact made me stronger, once I couldn't even do one kneeling push up... now I can do about 40 FULL Push-ups in just over a minute without having to put my knees down.

Oh and on top of that, I suffer from fairly bad hypermobility and a twisted spine which has caused neural tension and sciatica...I'm only 23. In the summer I was running AT LEAST 10Km a day, the endorphins helped stave off some pain. Plus I felt loads better. I've only been taking painkillers lately for some torn cartilage in my knee which is healing well, so I can exercise. I took them for about a week,

Please don't be one of these people that use it as an "excuse". Athletes hurt too from training and the pain is similar. And it's not as bad as sciatica and neural problems. I can affirm that.
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    Wow, I did not realize that there were so many of us FM sufferers on MFP. I have also been diagnosed with CFS and I have several herniated and bulging disc throughout my Lumbar,Thorasic and Cervical Spine caused from severe Osteoarthritis, top that off with Polyscystic Ovarian Syndrome and there is no wonder I put on 60 pounds in the last few years.

I now have a lot more acceptance and my faith in the god has got me through these rough years. It has not been easy since I have Spinal cord damage due to my Disc material protruding into my Spinal cord and there are days that my feet go numb when I walk and I have left Foot drop so my foot at times drags a little when I go for my walks, I have fallen a few times from that. I have very little grip strength and my hands and shoulders are weak and affected by the Cervical Stenosis and Hernaited Disc in my C4-5 and C5-6, I could go on and on but there really are no more excuses for me because if I allow it I will just keep getting fatter and unhealthier.

I have so many things to be grateful for in this life and I am tired of being a victim. I take my pain meds, muscle relaxers, and get my butt out of bed even when I do not feel like it, I go to the gym at least 4 times a week, I have an elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike here at home and make good use of them now, I have lost 26 pounds and I have only 25 pounds to go.

My friends, family and doctor finally convinced me last October that I was very depressed because of my physical limitations, pain and overall life being turned upside down. I had a very successful career but lost it and my 3 figure salary, at one time that career defined me, I had to accept that I was OK and not a failure for letting my family down and not being able to provide for my husband and children like I did before. I did not want to be put on anti-depressants because I was concerned with how they would make me feel and the fact that most of them cause more weight gain.

So my doctor put me on Wellbutrin 300XL a day and let me tell you it has changed my life. I am on less than half the pain medications that I was on and I cope so much better with everything. For some people one of the side effects of Wellbutrin is weight loss and appetite suppression. I notice that I eat smaller portions and I am no longer an emotional eater! Wellbutrin is also given to some people off label for ADHD (I don't have ADHD) I also have more energy without ever feeling jittery. My starting weight in November 2011 was 176 and I am down to 150. My doctor says that Wellbutrin works on the same area of the brain that processes pain and that is probably why my pain level is so much better.

I am not advocating that anyone take Medications but I know for me it has changed my life, I did not believe that I was depressed. It took an intervention by everyone in my life to get me to even consider taking a pill for depression. I did not realize how much depression made my pain levels go up, but they go hand in hand for me. I still have those painful days that I would like to stay in my easy chair with a heating pad but those are the days that I take it easier, I still get up, do some Yoga, take a slow walk, hot bath, slow bike ride and usually I work through any pain, I always feel better and by not staying in bed or my easy chair I do not stiffen up so much.

Hang in there, I know from experience that anything is possible!
  • traceyx69
    Options
    Hi, Ive had Fibromyalgia for 6 years, Pernicious Anemia for 3, Broke my neck in 2008,Arthritis, Depression. I work full time as a Paramedic. To tell you the truth im in agony alot of the time.
    My first bit of advise is dont give up work, you will get depressed and miss out on being social. Let your friends at work and home know your condition, so they understand when your ill. If its just Fibromyalgia your lucky

Exercise- Do little but often. Go to the pool do a aqua aerobics class its low impact and you dont have to do everything. Walk around the shallow end and do some light swimming. Does not have to be much 10-20 mins.
    Go have a hot stone massage once a month, it helps.

What i do is. I walk up and down the stairs 4 times in the morning. If im having a bad day i cant walk at all. But if im in bed i will try and keep my hands and arms moving.
    I go aqua class when i can and out of the 45mins i do about 20, then i go to the edge of the pool hold on and move my legs under the water.
    I try to do House work every day, as long as im moving around im happy ish, i walk the dog most days for 20-30 mins. I'm unable to join a gym as i found everything a little to high impact on me.

If im having a good day, lIke yesterday i took advantage of this. I was walking the dog fo 70mins, did the house work. Yes im in alot of pain today.

Dont let Fibromyalgia win. Your going to have it for the rest of your life. If you loose weight you wont be in as much pain, it wont go but it will be eaiser.

Good luck
    Fibromyalgia is a illness NOT an excuse.

If anybody has any better excersise Tips or Routines that i could do at home i would love to have a look.
  • traceyx69
    Options
    ORANGECAMERA- Totally agree with you
    :smile:
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in April and have just recently started trying to lose weight. I initially started trying to walk and do general calisthenics, but that caused my FM to flare up. Is there anybody out there that is dealing with the same problem? If so, please give me any advice you have...what's worked for you, what has made it worse? Anything will help.

I am gluten intolerant, and until I stopped eating it, I had horrible body aches and pains. The doctors kept telling me nothing was wrong with me. I am now 100% gluten free, and I am 95% pain free. I'm just saying, it's totally worth looking into. Perhaps it will help with your pain, and you can get on your feet and start exercising. I will pray for healing for you.
  • evelynlance1949
    Options
    I am new at myfitnesspal and I am so pleased to read all of the comments on fibromyalgia. I have had it for about 20 years and it
    can be very debilitating if you let it. Thanks for all the info. I do water aerobics with all the other Grannies and it is the best thing ever. Wish I had tried it years ago.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post, I can't contribute to anything but I have a dear friend with this problem so it's great to see how others deal with this.
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and ME, so my situation is a little different. But I do water aerobics and find it to be just perfect. I also just started with yoga and really love it. I also see that nutrition plays a huge role-cutting down on sugar and carbs seems to reduce pain substantially.
  • traceyx69
    Options
    Hey I just wanted to share with all of my fellow FM sufferers, I also have a lot of ankle pain especially when I walk or stand for more than 30 minutes, I push myself everyday but 3 things have completely changed my quality of life and taken me off medications completely that is:
    1. Having a positive "Not letting anything get me down" attitude (not overcoming to the pain and suffering)
    2. Vitamin B-12 injections
    3. (new recent discovery are those Shape up type shoes. I don't have the Shape Up brand I have the cheap version, but that make a world of differnce of my pain levels!! Hope anything I have said makes a diiference in someones life :-)

Perfect reply. I agree with all of the above, and i also have b12 Injections
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My dr told me to just walk (slow to start) for one half hour a day and that it would cause me to be sore but I would notice that it hurt more not doing it then doing it. After about a week I did start to notice a change. I am now up to 1.70 miles a day. I also found doing simple leg lifts and arm stretches with 1lb weights on a stabilizing ball helped a lot.

I also have complex migraines and IBS. Which I find when one flares, they all flare. I hope you find something that works for you and remember to take it slow.
  • OrangeCamera
    Options
    It's pretty clear that different people handle their pain differently, and that some people who have posted have more complex medical situations than "just" FM. Through my own medical journey, I've learned that many other conditions have the same symptoms as FM - which is why the diagnosis is/was considered a "junk" diagnosis for a long time.

Here is something to consider. If you have other conditions or issues that flare at the same time as FM, then it's likely that there is a link to what's causing those flares. I would urge you to see a really good rheumatologist and tell them *every* medical problem you've ever had. Write it all down and give it to them. Once my doctor was able to look at the whole picture (not just things *I* thought were rheumatological), she was able to put it all together and make a correct diagnosis. I had NO idea that some of my medical problems were actually stemming from a particular rheumatological condition. I'm not a doctor, and I'm not going to try to diagnose anyone from what I read in an online forum - but from my own experience I can say that it's important to tell your rheumatologist about your gastrointestinal issues, and your headache issues, how you've recovered from surgeries in the past, and EVERYthing else in your medical past.

On a different note, I agree with some of the people here who say "get up and go", "push through your pain". That's great, IF YOU CAN. Only you know if you are using your pain as an excuse. If you are, then STOP using it as an excuse. But if you really canNOT get up and move your butt sometimes, then don't let other people tell you you're being lazy. Pain and fatigue are real. Take the time to think it through for yourself, be honest with yourself, and do what is right for yourself.

It's not helpful to be told you're lazy because you can't or don't or won't get up and go like someone else. Would you tell a blind person to "try harder" to see? I think a lot of depression around disease and disability comes from other people (and yourself) telling you that if you just tried harder you'd be better. If "trying" was the cure, NObody would be sick or in pain.

Pushing through pain to some extent is good and necessary. But if you are injuring yourself, you're not doing yourself any favors. If you're causing joint damage, that pain is there as a signal for you to stop. I "pushed" through the pain after a surgery, and wound up with permanent damage. I should have taken the time to heal at my body's pace, not some artificial time limit that "most" people need. It was a hard way for me to learn to listen to my own body's signals.

I'm not a lazy person. But sometimes I look like I am. Who cares? I do everything I *can*, but I no longer try to do things I *can't*. And I don't beat myself up over it anymore.

I know this is a weight loss and fitness forum, and that most healthy people can live by the "no pain - no gain" philosophy when exercising. Some of us have to watch what we eat even more carefully because we're not able to burn off all those calories with (as much) exercise.