Sleep problems

Options
Going to try to keep this brief.

I have had sleep problems for the past 12 years. I go to sleep no problem--just can't stay asleep. Wake up constantly. Have taken Ambien (helped, but couldn't stay on long term--MD refuses to prescribe for longer than a couple of months and I don't blame him), trazodone (didn't work at ALL, even with titration), follow all the good sleep hygiene rules, avoid caffeine, etc. I resorted to taking melatonin again which doesn't seem to do anything. For years I would take either benadryl or Unisom (doxylamine succinate)--but those hardly work either.

Before you ask--I am not depressed, and neither do I have an anxiety issue. I just keep waking up for no apparent reason.

Since I am now wearing a BodyMedia Fit Core Armband, I am painfully aware of my sleep patterns. I average 5 hours a night. I go to bed at 10, up at 6 religiously. I'm just tired of being tired.

So my question is: has anyone here tried any natural remedies that actually worked? (besides melatonin)

I fear my weight loss will always be hindered by my poor sleep. Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• mindfulmunching
    mindfulmunching Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Eliminate as much light as possible from the bedroom and kick out the pets. This helped me out tremendously. I also read 5 minutes before bed everynight and it kind of works as a trigger for my brain to get sleepy... Sleep issues are brutal. Best of luck to you!!!!!
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Have you tried valerian root or sleepy time tea? They work really well for me. One other product to try is from The Vitamin Cottage, if they don't have stores by you, you can order online, a product called snooze in. It has magnesium, a bit of melatonin, valerian root and bunch of other natural stuff to help you fall asleep and it keeps me asleep all night long without making me feel doopy or hung over the next morning.
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    Have never tried valerian root or sleepy time tea...will definitely check those out, as well as the Snooze In....thanks!
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I used to have difficulties waking up in the middle of the night as well (or sleeping soundly). I finally tried some herbals geared toward liver health and it worked wonders. Try Googling liver cleanse, liver health, etc. There is some interesting information on liver health and sleep impacts. These days I just buy a bottle of liver cleanse capsules from GNC and use them as needed for a few days. Hope that helps.
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
  • chelm
    chelm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Calms Forte is over the counter/natural...may work?
  • kware223
    kware223 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same sleep issues i wake up at least 3 times during the night. I ususally fall asleep watching TV in bed I will wake up turn off the TV and continue to wake up every hour. i think it is Menopause and that has also attibuted to my weight gain.

I am really tired of waking up in the middle of the night 3 and 4 times. HELP!!!!
  • iaho1976
    Options
    This is a problem for me too so bumping this for later
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump
  • granvill
    Options
    I had sleeping problems for years. Same issue of waking up every 2 - 3 hours.

What helped me was reading for one solid hour before I go to bed. Helps me switch off.

I also never eat spicy, salty or sugary foods or have alcohol before bedtime.
  • kylieloulou
    Options
    Try taking Melatonin. :)
  • kylieloulou
    Options
    my mom does that..:P it works;)
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are too warm when you sleep, I find that I wake up a lot and can't stay asleep if its too warm. Do you have a fan in your room, or try opening the window. I always sleep better in the winter than the summer.