Interesting discovery about my sweat

Options
Last night as I was taking a walk on my treadmill, I began to sweat, which is not unusual. However, this time the sweat ran down my face and got into my mouth, so I tasted it. I was expecting it to be salty, but it was not. At least no where near as salty as it's been in the past. Now I don't make a habit of tasting my sweat, but it has me curious. Is it less salty because I'm drinking so much more water than before? Or is this a sign I'm not getting enough salt? I already take potassium supplements because my bloodwork from 3 months ago showed I was low in potassium. I do believe I get enough salt in my diet, and really I shouldn't have a lot of salt because I have high blood pressure issues. Although, my blood pressure has been steadily normal since I've started with MFP. Anyone else notice any changes in their sweat?

Replies

• brandihutchinson
    Options
    bump
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    While we're on this topic, I've been meaning to ask around here: my sweat is now leaving white streaks on my dark shirts, but only in the center of my back. This never happened until I started getting into better shape. Any ideas?
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    bump
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of hot yoga, and I notice a huge difference in my sweat(lol I dont make a practice of tasting it either but when youre drenched and doing upside down yoga poses kinda hard to avoid lol.) between days when I eat lots of sodium and drink only a little water and days when I eat less sodium and drink lots of water.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Human sweat is actually a complex mixture of minerals, water, urea and lactate. Sodium makes a contribution of about 0.9 gram/liter and calcium follows with a concentration of 0.015 gram/liter. And what is made of Sodium and Calcium? SALT! Some people have excess of sodium and calcium content in their bodies. Sweat of such individuals is extremely salty, but those who watch their salt intake, like people with high blood pressure, will have a less salty taste to their sweat. Water helps dilute it a touch as well. If you sweat stings when it comes in contact with your eyes or a cut then there's excess salt in your system that your body is getting rid of.
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    bump