Morining Pain and Stiffness

Options
So I have a lot of dull pain and stiffness throught my body, which I think might be arthritis. It's been especially bad this week. I can deal with it during the day, but it is so hard to get up in the morning when I feel like this. Is there anything I can do the night before that would help? I do low impact/strecthing exercises like swimming and yoga, which I think help a little but not enough.

Replies

• McSlimmerson
    Options
    part of getting old, and it just gets worse....maybe fibromialga? (i have no idea, hope you feel better)
  • debeyea
    Options
    You may want to check your vitamin D levels, and start taking some supplements. Mine were very low and I had a lot of aches and pains, around the clock but especially when waking up in the mornings. Once I got my Vitamin D levels to an acceptable place, the pain went away.
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Girl, I have arthritis from so many sports injuries. I put a bottle of water and some kind of pain killer by my bed. I take it as soon as I wake up, unless I'm having a better morning that day. In about 30 minutes you should feel a little better. Just keep pushing on ! You go girlfriend !!!!
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have some arthritis in my spine and knees even though I'm only 35 due to some immune system issues. I try to get up and do stretches in the morning as well. It is not easy but it does help loosen up everything as well as taking in fish oil. This may or may not be an option for you but I switched my mattress to a memory foam and found that it helped immensely as well.
  • rubyosburn
    rubyosburn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've had arthritis for years, mornings are sometimes very hard for me to get moving. My doctor told me to do some gentle stretch's while still laying down.

I slowly lift each leg, flexing my foot and slowly rotating my ankle. Try sitting up slowly with legs still on the bed, slowly lean forward, grasp your foot and stretch forward. If it hurts stop, all movements should me nice and slow and smooth. Hope this helps :smile:
  • jenro39
    Options
    Go to the GP and get your bloods done to rule out any inflammation or arthritus, my sisters just had that done and found out she had contacted a virus from her child called slapped cheek, google it, you get swollen hand and joints etc. Just a thought but if it persists go to the GP. Good luck.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Go to the GP and get your bloods done to rule out any inflammation or arthritus, my sisters just had that done and found out she had contacted a virus from her child called slapped cheek, google it, you get swollen hand and joints etc. Just a thought but if it persists go to the GP. Good luck.

I tried but he dismissed it and told me I just need to exercise more. I'd like to get a second opinion but there's a shortage of doctors around here and I haven't been able to find one that's taking new patients.
  • marissa4354
    Options
    So I have a lot of dull pain and stiffness throught my body, which I think might be arthritis. It's been especially bad this week. I can deal with it during the day, but it is so hard to get up in the morning when I feel like this. Is there anything I can do the night before that would help? I do low impact/strecthing exercises like swimming and yoga, which I think help a little but not enough.

If it remains after a couple days, I'd see a doctor. I started out like that. I have rheumatoid arthritis. I'm 24 years old. I was diagnosed at 18. Mornings are the worst for me.
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Agree with debeya. I don't get enough D3 so started adding to pain med in am. Be careful though even vitamin suppliments can be toxic if your body doesn't need more. May want the lab to check your levels on things first. Good luck !
  • Sweet_Potato
    Options
    Girl, I have arthritis from so many sports injuries. I put a bottle of water and some kind of pain killer by my bed. I take it as soon as I wake up, unless I'm having a better morning that day. In about 30 minutes you should feel a little better. Just keep pushing on ! You go girlfriend !!!!

My dad (who's also had arthritis since his 20's) recommended taking a painkiller before bed, but I hate the idea of having to take a pill every night. It also doesn't seem to help that much.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I agree with vit D! I have some sort of auto immune disorder (not diagnosed with a particular yet) but I have horrible stiffness in my joints and muscle/nerve pain.

I take 500 mg naproxen twice a day (just higher mg of aleve), 2,000 IU's of Vit D and 1200 mg of omega 3,6,9. It's all been helping but I noticed that high carbs/gluten and sugar/liquor make it worse. Along with over activity and the weather.

Just some things to think about! but yes- have the Dr. check your vit D. I was so low I had to take 50,000 IU's for 3 months!

Much luck!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Options

If it remains after a couple days, I'd see a doctor. I started out like that. I have rheumatoid arthritis. Mornings are the worst for me.

Yeah, it's been going on for several years now but my doctor doesn't think it's a problem.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Totally understand. Try one of the joint supplements. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my mid thirties from a problem that was ignored by my doctors for years. And awesome advise on the vitamin d! If you do have arthritis it will make you stiff in the morning. The biggest advise is to get up and move . If I stay in bed thinking I will lay there till it goes away, it gets worse. I think the stretching when you wake is great advise.
  • Fitgirlrocks
    Fitgirlrocks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am into natural medicine and natural treatment. Here are some of the things I dd when I am sore (although I don't have arthritis I do still get sore achy joints from time to time). Alternating Hot and Cold water treatments. I get in a super hot shower (for about 3 min, until the water doesn't feel hot anymore), then I get into an ice bath and sit there until the water doesn't feel cold anymore (about 30sec to a min). I have two bathrooms, I use one for the shower and have the ice bath all set up in the other bathroom and I go between them. I also do this at the gym using the dry sauna and the pool or shower. I do this 3 times ending with the ice bath. It brings up the circulation and works wonders for soreness. I also use a Arnica montana either as a homeopathic pellet or as a topical cream. In addition, a food fish oil, multivitamin, Glucosamine Sulfate (as long as you are not allergic to fish), Chondrotin Sulfate, and MSM are also helpful with joint pain and aches. If you are inflammed, you will want to especially cut out the sugar (which I am sure you are already doing). Anyway, those are the things I would and have used for stiff achy joints. Email me privately if you want more specifics.
  • Fitgirlrocks
    Options
    Oh yes and the Vitamin D that someone else mentioned earlier. :)
  • Fitgirlrocks
    Options
    If your doctor doesn't think it's a problem Change doctors.
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely get your D level checked. I was SO incredibly achey and stiff - especially in the morning. I just figured I was getting old! Also, I was just ACHE after exercise - especially my legs and hips. I would also ache getting out of the car after just short car rides.

At a routine physical, my doc had my D checked (I hadn't told her about my pain - again, just thought I was getting old). They called me a few days later to tell me my D level was 11 (minimum should be 30, I believe) and the doc wanted me to go on prescription D. I didn't think too much of it, UNTIl I started to feel susbstantially better after one dose of the 50,000 IU of D. So, I did some research and found there is a correlation between pain and low levels of D. I was absolutely AMAZED at how much better I felt after getting my level in the normal range. It's a cheap blood test - can't hurt to get it checked out.

Good luck!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Options
    If your doctor doesn't think it's a problem Change doctors.

As I mentioned earlier.... that's really hard to do here. I've called nearly a hundred doctor's offices in the 6 years I've lived here and this is the only one who was taking new patients. He's not even anywhere near where I live so I would LOVE to change doctors!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Options
    Lots of great advice here -- thanks! I had no idea about the Vitamin D correlation. MFP doesn't track that one does it?

I did have blood work done last year and they didn't see any deficiencies, but I'm not actually sure what they checked for.