Guilt, struggle, weight loss

Options
I've lost a lot of weight. I didn't always used to be fat, but medical school took its toll on me and ended up piling on a whooping 40 pounds (lost all of it!)... you can say I am at 'goal' but I've never had more problems with temptations and binges as I have now.

I find myself eating a box of chocolates in my room (while my friends are in the living room watching shows), and odd days when I just eat and eat and eat. I am neither hungry, nor emotionally upset, or anything!! (done it about 3 times last month)

My only vice= CHOCOLATE.... (+chocolate cookies)

Thank god I have not put on weight- however it is something I feel really ashamed about....it is hard to admit it to even my closest people. I'm scared of being judged and looked down upon.

And one day of bad eating (chocolates+cookies+B&J) will put me in a spiral of bad eating week...and that makes me not want to workout even more. Having to deal with medical school pressure and exams sure don't help!!!

Thankfully back on track !!

Any of you guys struggle with chocolate only binge eating disorders ??

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I used to have a, once I started, I couldn't stop behavior tendency with certain foods. The only thing that worked for me was never, absolutely never having it in the house. For years, I did this. I knew I couldn't control myself. Chocolate is still a weakness of mine, but I don't over do it anymore. I can even have one bite of something chocolatey and be done.
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Whenever I buy cookies, I have the need to finish ENTIRE contents of the books, or chocolates the entire freakin box/bar of it!!! :( Its so frustrating. I'm at goal and can't even treat myself without going out of control!
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Whenever I buy cookies, I have the need to finish ENTIRE contents of the books, or chocolates the entire freakin box/bar of it!!! :( Its so frustrating. I'm at goal and can't even treat myself without going out of control!
  • DizzyBella
    DizzyBella Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Totally! I can be eating really clean, then boom! It's like someone else takes control of my legs, takes me to the sweet shop and then I'm sitting in my bedroom (oh, I'll only have one...) and then they're gone and I feel like crap. usually I don't even remember eating whatever it is.

Still, I guess I can't do everything right all the time, and I have got a little better. Like, I know that if I buy a whole pack of cake or cookies then I'll eat them all, so I try to just get something small if I must have something sweet. Also, I've been baking my own recently, so that I have to make a little more effort to get that treat, and I know it's cleaner than anything shop bought. And another bonus, when the house smells of cinnamon and baking you end up sharing, which is much more fun!

Good luck, stick with it :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If you know this about yourself, then stop buying cookies!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    If something is causing me to feel shame I tend to think that I need to change something. Maybe it's my attitude, or maybe it's my behavior but something needs to change. I recently donated just about all of my processed food to the local food bank, if I have to go out and purchase it then I am less likely to binge out on it I also make sure I only buy as much as I can eat that very day without feeling guilty. If I limit the source I am more likely to eat responsibly. I know many people who have had success with similar problems through overeaters anonymose. I generally am anti cutting something entirely out of someones diet (something that OA encourages) but if it's causing you trouble then it might be worth it for a while. Good luck honey and be easy on yourself
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you know this about yourself, then stop buying cookies!

Exactly. If you don't have it in the house, you're far less likely to eat it. Don't even go down that aisle in the store.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I found that when i would cheat I would always find a way to justify it and say to myself it would be only this week...thing is I would end up doing it once or twice per week.....eventualy I just slapped myself and told myself to stop justifying junk and just stop eating it....

im still struggling, especialy when I am stressed or upset...but getting better