Low carb diet? Why or Why not???

Options
I personally believe in eating a balanced diet!!! But this whole low-carb/no-carb diet seems to be hitting the diet markets!! Of course I know white bread is bad for you, refined carbs are bad for you... but what is wrong with eating a good portion of healthy carbs like brown rice and seeded wholemeal bread???

Anyone succeeded with low-carb diet and see it as a long term live style ??

Please enlighten me!

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to do it.. and in the last year I've been able to lose 45 pounds and keep it off with a diet of about 50-60% carbs, but they are almost entirely "brown" carbs. I run too, so I need the carbs. So my philosophy is this: eat the good stuff, exercise it off.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    White Bread is not bad for you.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to avoid carbs, it's really just a matter of personal preference. My diet is about 50% carbs of all kinds, and I do just fine. I love carbs. I'm eating waffles as I type this.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    It's not that they're "bad" for you, they just aren't a part of that particular lifestyle.
  • MidfieldMaestro
    Options
    Carbs are easily converted into energy - alot easier than say Protein.

Excess energy = fat.

So if you are burning the carbs you're taking in, you wont gain fat. But if you want to cut your body fat, then low carb is the way to go.

Carbs are calorific and cutting down on carbs is a good way to create a caloric deficit, which is how you shed bodyfat - a consistent caloric deficit.
  • gretchensdoll
    Options
    I do believe in the glucose factor or grains , fruits and veggies (high starch). Whenever i try to low carb I end up simply craving sugar! I did change the carb amount to less but not as low as lc diets ask you to. I do like some of the information in paleo (high fat) programs regarding the brains need for fats, but even they are too low of carbs for me, I couldn't stick to it or lose weight. Now that I do this program it's much better for me.Able to lose weight without feeling hungry or deprived and think I can do this long term.
  • bjames50
    Options
    I have done the low carb diet in the past and read a number of books. First, they work. They are hard to do long term if you are on a limited food budget as there is little you can do in terms of variety.

As for why they work, the premise is that when we eat too much carbs our bodys, become insulin resistant, which is the first step on the path the Type II diabetes. As we become insulin resistant we can't process the carbs we eat and the body shifts into high gear storing excess energy as fat.

I am starting another low carb phase <60 grams/day and fully expect to drop 10-15 lbs this month. Of course the holidays are a very hard time to do this diet.
  • newdaynewme
    newdaynewme Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    lower carb diets work, but your body needs a balance of carbs and proteins. there are pros and cons of each side and not every method works for everyone. Low carb does not work for me at all, I will not lose weight, my body will go through a spell of head aches and other things for weeks before even adjusting. if you exercise a lot you need your proteins but you also need your carbs. speak to a nutritionalist for the most accurate info. posts you will get on here are merely just opinion and 97% of the time can be incorrect. Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I get my carbs mostly from healthy sources (fruits and veggies, whole grains), but I'll have cake or pizza every once in a while, too. It's all about balance.

I had no problem dropping weight eating plenty of carbs in the past, but the last year has been very difficult for me. I regained a bunch of weight for no obvious reason and have been struggling to get it off. The past couple weeks, I upped my calories and protein and decreased my carb intake (though I still get between 150 and 200 grams a day. I don't think that counts as "low carb."). I've lost 2.6 pounds in two weeks since I did that.

But I think that's my body and not a universal truth. And I don't know if it's the increased protein, lower carbs, increased calories or a combination of the three. I just know it's working!
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac disease and can't have gluten, so I will have to follow what is basically a low-carb diet the rest of my life. I don't seek out carbs or grains, but I don't avoid them either (other than evil, poison gluten). I have no problem having a serving of rice of quinoa. But this is rare and overall, my carb intake is very low. I've done it for 3 years now and have been very happy. It's a sustainable diet, but that doesn't mean it's the right choice for everyone. (also, can't say I've lost any weight on it either!)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to avoid carbs, it's really just a matter of personal preference.

This. ^^

And this down here vvvvv
    White Bread is not bad for you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I personally believe in eating a balanced diet!!! But this whole low-carb/no-carb diet seems to be hitting the diet markets!! Of course I know white bread is bad for you, refined carbs are bad for you... but what is wrong with eating a good portion of healthy carbs like brown rice and seeded wholemeal bread???

Anyone succeeded with low-carb diet and see it as a long term live style ??

Please enlighten me!

You said it "This whole low carb/no carb seems to be hitting the diet markets" It's in (again) - so what? Several years ago the "low fat" diet was in (all fat was bad) !?.

I agree with others - unless you have a medical condition - stick with eating foods that you can incorporate into a lifestyle change. That "new" lifestyle is what will help you keep the weight from coming back.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Your probably talking about a VLCD as opposed to a LCD, where brown rice or white rice and bread of any description is fine to consume. My food preference are based on my lifestyle, and I'm a chef btw. My lifestyle dictates that I support local farmers that engage in responsible farming practices and I also subscribe to the slow food movement for the last 20 years, which basically tries to get people to get back in the kitchen and cook food that doesn't come with nutritional profiles or ingredient lists . Saying that, a person can run the gamot as far as what they prefer to eat, me personally has been local seasonal fruit and vegetables and a yearly supply of great protein and fat choices. My preference is protein, and animal protein for the most part, which inevitably leaves about 1/3 of my calories for fruit and seasonal veg, which many of my starches are root type veg in the winter and summer I consume more grain like breads and pasta's. I consider my diet to be a lower carb diet, and one that is a no brainer for me, and it just happens to fall under the heading of a LCD............any diet works, just find one that fits your lifestyle, and your gold.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I tried low carb because I liked the sound of it and I wanted to break my addiction to sugar. It worked, and I'm losing weight, so it's win-win. A lot of people feel better not eating carbs. I'm one of them (though carbs didn't affect me to the degree it seems to for some people.)

I PROBABLY could lose weight just fine on a diet that incorporated carbs, but you know what, it's so much easier when I keep the dietary restriction because I know not to eat it, and since the high fat aspect keeps me full, I don't have to worry about overeating like I did with carbs. That's another bonus too - high fat keeping you fuller longer. With carbs I was always starving two hours later. I could rip through bags of goldfish crackers and cans of soda. Even healthy carbs, like brown rice, I could eat way too much of.

Not so on LC. Now I have a steak and salad for dinner and I'm pretty happy. Why do I need to add bread to that when that's a whole meal right there?

In the end, it IS a preference. A lot of people feel better not eating carbs. Some don't. Everyone goes through an induction phase if you go VLC, so consider that, but it passes within 1-3 weeks. It's easier to resist temptation to eat too much sugar if you don't keep any in the house, too, then when you go out to eat, just get a steak or grilled chicken or fish or shrimp and caesar salad or steamed veggies. There is some evidence that lower carbs reduces the risk of heart disease, and also VLC will, for many people, lower bad blood cholesterol and support good cholesterol. My family has a history of high cholesterol and my uncle just got a quadruple bypass, so that was one of the major factors for me.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Looks like you need some carbs. I see you trying to iron yourself. :bigsmile:
  • tmaksparkie
    Options
    I lost my weight being low carb, but I also was in a calorie deficit. I have been at this along time and I can safely say that I feel better doing low carb but if not done right you can lower your matabolism just because lower carb clean foods are normally also lower in calories. So I do a one day spike. I follow the spike 84 plan after I spent 6 months of weight training to gain muscle and raise my matabolism. Really it is dependent on the person.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have done the low carb diet in the past and read a number of books. First, they work. They are hard to do long term if you are on a limited food budget as there is little you can do in terms of variety.

As for why they work, the premise is that when we eat too much carbs our bodys, become insulin resistant, which is the first step on the path the Type II diabetes. As we become insulin resistant we can't process the carbs we eat and the body shifts into high gear storing excess energy as fat.

I am starting another low carb phase <60 grams/day and fully expect to drop 10-15 lbs this month. Of course the holidays are a very hard time to do this diet.

Low carb actually works in the short term because your body sheds a lot of water weight, as carbs are converted to glycogen for storage, and glycogen takes a lot of water to store (roughly 4 grams of water for every gram of glycogen.) So when you switch from a moderately high carb to a lower carb diet, in the first month or so you drop a lot of water weight as your body reduces it;s total glycogen stores, which is why low carb diets see fast weight loss early on. Stretch it out over the course of a full year, and both low carb diets and other traditional diets generally have the same overall weight loss.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Low carb actually works in the short term because your body sheds a lot of water weight, as carbs are converted to glycogen for storage, and glycogen takes a lot of water to store (roughly 4 grams of water for every gram of glycogen.) So when you switch from a moderately high carb to a lower carb diet, in the first month or so you drop a lot of water weight as your body reduces it;s total glycogen stores, which is why low carb diets see fast weight loss early on. Stretch it out over the course of a full year, and both low carb diets and other traditional diets generally have the same overall weight loss.

Would the reduced glycogen stores explain muscle cramps for someone on low carb diet but still weight trains?
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb for 11 years now. I have Celiac and I just don't like rice or quinoa. I eat protein, veggies, fruits, fat and dairy in the form of butter and cheese.

Since I started seriously eating cleaner at the end of July I have given up both my heartburn meds, one blood pressure med and am almost weaned off my antidepressant. I also sleep a whole lot better and have a ton more energy.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Would the reduced glycogen stores explain muscle cramps for someone on low carb diet but still weight trains?

I can't answer that definitively, but I don't think so.