Husband is a picky eater.

Options
Just wondering if anyone know some awesome yummy recipes for my husband since he's a picky eater? He dislike vegetables and fruits.

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Send him to a remote village in China for a month. He will either starve or learn to stop eating like a toddler.
  • lilybug13
    Options
    Mexican Chicken

Ingredients:
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions:
    Add chicken to slow cooker.
    Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
    Pour salsa and soup over chicken.
    Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
    Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
    Serve with rice.

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 157.2
    Total Fat: 3.3 g
    Cholesterol: 63.4 mg
    Sodium: 654.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 6.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9 g
    Protein: 24.3 g
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Send him to a remote village in China for a month. He will either starve or learn to stop eating like a toddler.

Ahahahhahaha.......I love this!!!!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    mine was the same way when we got married 20 yrs ago. there so many recipes out there that its difficult to say what he would like.does he have problems with spices? mine is that way.its all just trial and error. I made rosemary and garlic roasted potatoes with little olive oil last night and asparagus roasted with garlic salt and olive oil and cilantro lime chicken(pounded chicken breast with half cup lime and a little lemon juice marinated with garlic salt and olive oil and covered with swiss cheese, so yummy) and the potatoes bothered his stomach although he loved them. none of these foods did we eat when we were first married
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    My husband is picky too ... no mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, etc, etc, etc. And all the veggies he wants to eat have to be cooked to mush. He won't eat brown rice, won't eat whole grain breads.

So I cook healthy meals and he either eats it and picks out what he doesn't like, or he fixes his own dinner!!
  • annabellj
    Options
    oh and i forgot to add the chopped cilantro to my recipe!
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    Oops ... unintentional double post
  • CandeesLand
    Options

Thinking about doing this with my own husband. I just started cooking the stuff I want and told him that if he doesn't want to eat it, he has to make his own. He now eats more of the foods that he wouldn't try before.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower mash
  • Iwillbemeagain
    Options
    Love it! Send him to a remote village so he will quit eating like a toddler!
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Bump - wanna keep this recipe! I have hubby with picky eating habits too and very difficult to feed a family of 5!
  • LOL he would probably stave he actually just got back from South Korea & starved their. He hate rice as well. :P
  • Loving all the comments, big thanks to the recipe I will have try that some night. If anyone has any other recipes to try let me know so I can try them.
  • annabellj
    Options
    smothered chicken, pound raw chicken breast put them in a pyrex 9 by 12, top with ragu or your favorite spaghetti sauce, low fat mozzarella, some parmesan cheese and salt and pepper or garlic salt, pop it in the oven for 40 minutes and then check for doneness to make sure chicken is cooked thoroughly. while that is cooking, boil some whole wheat pasta, we like to use spaghetti but you can use any kind, add a salad or peas or whatever veggie you like with italian food and maybe a side of bread if your calories allow. plate your pasta and cover with half a piece of the smothered chicken. i usually like to make extra ragu because it the sauce from the chicken doesnt allow enough coverage and i like a lot of sauce. one of the kids favorite meals and so easy to make.
  • annabellj
    Options
    sorry i dont really rely on measuring anything, more to taste and we always have leftovers with three teenage boys in the house and all their friends coming over!
  • Thanks.
  • Vivian_Phoenix
    Options
    Choosing tastebuds over health!? lol noooo.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    This.

Eat what I cook or starve. I'm not a short-order cook. This also holds true for my 6 year old, my 5 year old and my 3 year old.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

Too funny! But, seriously, has he ever tried well-prepared FRESH fruits and vegetables before? If you've only had them out of the can or frozen then I can understand why he might have an aversion to them. Canned/frozen goods are CHEAP, which is why a lot of people buy them (not to mention they keep almost indefinitely), but they don't compare to FRESH fruits and veggies. Not by a long shot!

A really great way to prepare veggies that are super tasty is to brush them with a yummy tangy marinade and grill them on kabobs. I like to use McCormick Grill Mates marinades (comes in a pouch or a jar) as well as Kona Coast marinades (comes in a jar) ALL the time. Using fruits/veggies like pineapple, mushroom, onion, bell pepper (green/red/orange/yellow), zucchini, squash, eggplant, tomato, etc.--basically anything that will hold up to being coarsely chopped and skewered--and making kabobs with them is absolutely DELICIOUS! Plus, you can use the same marinade to marinate some steak, pork, or chicken (cut into cubes so you can skewer it easily; always marinate meat in a separate bag/container than the veggies) and cook it all together for a wonderfully yummy, easily to portion control, meal that you and your hubby with love.
  • wackynunu
    Options
    I don't cook very often for this reason. I love to cook, but I always just end up cooking for myself for the week and let hubby fend for himself. After 17 years, I have stopped getting offended when he doesn't eat my cooking. He eats only meat, french fries, rice, plain spaghetti, bread and sweets. No vegetables, fruit, cheese, nuts, onions, mushrooms.

He is 5'9" 165 lbs and has maybe fluctuated 5 lbs here and there since we met.