I didn't die this weekend!

Options
kkellam1
kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
Powerful title, huh? But that's the way I felt when I woke up this morning. There is a strong story behind that and I will try to keep it brief. It's a deeply personal story but I need to share it. Writing it is kind of cathartic for me and marks a personal milestone that I cannot ignore. Sharing it is motivational for me and I hope at least interesting for you.

9 months ago, I was almost 100 pounds heavier, way out of shape and my doctor told me that I had diabetes. On top of that, I woke up one night shaking with fear that I would die and that I knew exactly when. Yep, this last weekend was the date. I cannot tell you how scary that feeling was for me.

My realization was that I was my fathers son. There were so many parallels between what was happening in my life and the things in my fathers life that led to his death at an early age from a heart attack. Overweight, not healthy, work too much, needs of the family before personal needs, I could go on and on. I had a dream trip planned which was fairly similar to a dream trip that my father was on when he died. We would be the same age (me 51, him 52). My daughter would be the same age as I was when my father died. We would each be thousands of miles from home doing something that we had wanted to do since we were young.

So this fear and the news about my diabetes combined to make me attempt to lose weight and get my health in order. That's when MFP entered my life and I took the first steps towards health. I started walking and getting my diet under control. The weight dropped faster than I could have expected and the impact on my health was almost immediate. The more I got my butt off the couch, the more the pounds dropped and the better my doctors visits became. Blood tests showed dramatic improvement all along the way. At this point, I have lost nearly 100 pounds and stopped taking almost all of the medications I was on. Diabetes is never mentioned any more, except in the past tense. Amazingly, I actually joined a gym about 6 weeks ago and have hardly missed a day since. For a 51 year old who had never exercised a day in his life, this is unbelieveable.

Anyway, I have just returned and the feeling is amazing. A friend and I flew from Virginia to his home in South Dakota for a hunting trip. On various days, we had from 5-8 people in our hunting party. It took me a day or two to realize, but I was the fittest one in our group. We walked 5-10 miles a day through the woods, through cornfields and marshlands carrying guns, supplies and all the other gear. Other people were winded, I kept going. When one person was needed to tackle the heavier terrain and flush the birds out to the others, I was elected. When people who hadn't even met me before mentioned how out of shape they were, they said things like "not like Keith, Mr. Fitness." And they weren't teasing or joking around, they were just pointing out that I was making it look easy.

How was that even possible for a guy who has pretty much been overweight all his life and a year ago wouldn't even run to get out of the rain? Don't take me wrong. I still have a gut and still have 25 pounds or so to drop. I still have a lot of work to do getting physically in shape. But I can see the end coming and my confidence is strong that I will get there.

So on the flight home yesterday, I ran a real gamut of emotions. I have never been happier to head home to my family. I had just experienced one of the best vacations that I have ever taken, but it was much more than that. It was a personal verification that you can indeed make a change if you set your mind to it. Having clear goals and a clear motivation to achieve them keeps you headed in the right direction. MFP and my friends here have played a big role in this. There were one or two people who's profile I saw early on in my journey and they were huge motivators for me. They may or may not be aware of the impact that they played. Seeing that they could make huge turnarounds in their lives gave me hope that I too could do it. My other friends (and I have purposely kept the number small) played a huge role in keeping me accountable day to day.

So looking forward, I still have a lot of ground to cover. But never have I been so confident that I can do it. Never have I felt more satisfied in an accomplishment and more motivated to achieve more. My doctor reminds me that I have done wonders for my quality of life and my lifespan. This past week really made me internalize that and take it from from just words to a reality. The world is out there for us and we truly can take control of ourselves and shape our own realities. It takes a strong motivation and a clear picture of where we want to go. If the weight loss is truly important, make it a priority in your life and go make it happen.

I really wasn't going to attach pictures to this because it isn't about appearance for me. It's about health and quality of life. But here are a few anyway, just to document the way things have changed.

DSC_9797.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_5500.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

BeforeAfter76pounds_Page_3.jpg

belt.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

2011-11-11_14-02-38.jpg

Replies

• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Heartwarming story! Thank you for sharing! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thats great!! So happy for you!
  • wyld4eva
    wyld4eva Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    One word ... INSPIRING
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I love reading stories like this when folks not only overcome their weight but their health problems. Really makes it worth while!
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    To say nice job, doesn't even begin to explain how incredible your story is!
  • chollylops
    chollylops Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Great story and great pictures! It is what weight loss is all about - changing things for your health and not always about appearnce ( although that is a bonus if you look good too!) Hope you continue to lose those last pounds the hardest bit is done and you now know you have changed yours for good - enjoy!
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    enjoyed your story..sounds like u got your life on track you look great keep up the good work.and thanks again for sharing your story.
  • ajlarz
    ajlarz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for sharing your story- stunning!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I read through your blood, sweat, and tears to accomplish such a change. It's an incredible story and your family will rich beyond money for the effort you've put forth. All I can say is, "Wow."
  • swtgrl42
    swtgrl42 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    very powerful, thank you so much for sharing your story. may you live many more decades happy and healthy.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, truly amazing, man... Wow.
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Keith, Keith, Keith. All I can do is smile and tell you again how proud you make me. Your pictures are night and day, my dear! I always believed in your abilities and now to see you standing on this side of it all just makes me swell with pride in all you've done! You have conquered this one step at a time, at crazy hours of the night, but still made it work. Keep it up and be proud, because damn it, I am!

Huzzah!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It seems like you were handed a second chance at life and you have taken it with both hands - congratulations, for you and your family. They are lucky to have you.
    I know you said it's not about looks but honestly you look so much younger! enjoy your " second go at life".
  • copykatnjesus
    copykatnjesus Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm your age and trying to drop
    some weight so I can stay healthy for my kids
    and grandkids too. Keep it up! You're doing
    great. God bless!!
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, I know how you feel. Last year, at 52, I went to the doctor, high cholesterol, borderline high blood pressure, lots of stress at work, sleep apnea and raising two teenage daughters. I didn't think I would be around too much longer. I lost 30 lbs before I found MFP. I found other men like you on this site to be great inspirations. Now I am down 50 lbs as of this morning. Feeling so much better, tons of energy, sleeping better and the exercise helps to burn off the stress. Now you get to be the inspiration for others.
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    By the way, I love the belt loop shot. For me dropping a belt loop is bigger than loosing the weight.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Nice!!! What a lucky daughter! You look great and great story! I'm excited for you!
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Amazing success story! I am at the beginning of my journey and feel a lot like you. It's not about appearance for me, it's about my health. I've only been at it for a little over two weeks and although I am down a bit in weight, the huge difference I see is on my nightly walks with my husband. I am gaining speed, don't get as winded on hills and have really increased endurance already! It kind of amazes me how quickly your body responds when you really push it!

I may not have your success in such a short time...but I'll get there! Your story is very inspirational and you look so happy in your "after" pictures! That's what I want!! =)
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    that is really awesome!!!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    awesome story! Great job on getting fit and being able to live many many more healthy years because of that decision you made to take care of YOU!:drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!