Can't use the "I just had a baby" excuse anymore

Options

Replies

• mjhogan
    Options
    HI!!! IM NEW TO THIS....I HAVE A 10 MONTH OLD AN AS U SAID CNT USE THAT EXCUSS ANY MORE I THINK I MAY HAVE THE MOST WEIGHT TO LOOSE RIGHT NOW BUT AS YOU SAID WE ALL NEED THE SUPPORT FROM EACH OTHER. IM WILLING TO HELP SUPPORT ANY ONE CAUSE WEL ALL NEED IT, DIDNT THING I WOULD HAVE GOT MYSELF THI FAR THEN BE ONLINE LOOKING FOR SUPPORT.BUT IM READY TO CHANGE MY LIFE GET MYSKINNY BACK..LOL...:laugh: SO PLEASE LADIES LET FR EACH OTHER IM SO WILLING TO SUPPORT.. THANKS
  • MamaEggs
    MamaEggs Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me for some motivation - I am 29 years old, 5'4" and started this whole weightloss thing at 165 lbs. I have a 4 year old and a 19 month old. I've been doing this for 3.5 months and I'm down 25 lbs (just under 140), trying to ultimately get down to 125. You can totally DO this. I was so skeptical at first that I didn't even officially join the site until I'd already lost 10 lbs (that's why you see me saying 3.5 months but I haven't been a member that long - I was so scared I wouldn't be able to do it or that it wouldn't work). This is totally doable if you just keep at it.

WOW!!! That is a great amount for just 3.5 months! How are you doing it? How much do you work out and how many calories do you eat?

8042984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

I have been sticking pretty close to what MFP tells me to do. I have my activity level set to 'sedentary' (b/c for real, some days I am LOL) - when I first started I set my goal to 2 lbs per week which gave me a 1200 calorie daily goal. For the first month or two I just ate between 1200-1400 calories per day, wasn't super-strict with myself, I mean I was eating more like 3000 calories per day before I started so it was a big change. Lots of learning about portion sizes and different choices that I could make so my 1200-1400 calories would stretch farther. Once I got a little weightloss under my belt LOL, I started exercising. Simple stuff - mostly walking on the treadmill (and pretending I could jog - was awful in the beginning and still not great, but it's a process). I bought a heart rate monitor so I could get a really accurate estimate of how many calories I burned when I worked out, and I always log my exercise calories on MFP and try to eat back a good portion of them. (when you log exercise, MFP tells you that you've 'earned' those calories back and ups your goal - so if you spend half an hour on the treadmill and burn 200 calories, if your daily goal is 1200 all of a sudden MFP tells you that you can eat 1400 that day). Sometimes I eat ALL of my extra exercise calories, sometimes I just eat part of them. Honestly half the reason I work out at all is so I can earn some extra snacks! LOL I'm just now getting into some other types of exercise - doing videos at home and using some small weights. It's hard but it makes you feel great to see how much you can do that you weren't able to do before. Just losing some weight gives you so much more energy. I can actually keep up with my crazy kids. LOL

A month or two ago (can't remember) I re-set my goal here on MFP to be 1 lb per week, b/c I'd lost some weight and it generally is better to go a little slower the closer you get to your goal. Re-setting put me at 1210 calories. Not a big difference, but that's b/c I lost weight and don't need as many calories for my body to stay the same anymore. I try to get in enough exercise most days to earn at least 300 extra calories, I like to eat small meals (like 200-300 calories usually) and have several small snacks during the day - mainly b/c it keeps me from getting super-hungry at meal times. Some people prefer big meals and no snacks, it's all personal preference.

Sometimes I actually lose faster than what MFP says even though I try not to skimp on the calories - I think it's b/c I'm trying to be more active with my kids now that I have more energy. But basically sticking with my MFP goals is what does the trick. I'm also still breastfeeding my 19 month old once or twice a day, but it's so little that I don't think I use very many calories doing that anymore, so I usually don't account for it. Sometimes if he nurses a bunch in a day I will eat an extra snack. LOL

This is pretty much exactly what I'm doing now (well for the last week or so) so you're really giving me hope and motivation. Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of it out for me. I can't wait to see the pounds start coming off!

8042984.png
  • MamaEggs
    Options
    14 months is still totally young enough to use that excuse. I didn't start losing the baby weight until my youngest was 3.

Haha well I just feel like I'm lying to myself when I use that. I "just" had a baby over a year ago!
  • MamaEggs
    Options
    Hi!!! I'm new too!!! I am a mother of 2. One is almost 6 months and the other is almost 21 months. :) I just started today and I'm not that bad off, but I wanna get back to the size I was before baby #1. I gained 10lbs with each baby. (This is obviously after birth weight lol and a while afterwards right after was a lot more) I am 5'7" and around 146. My goal is mid 120's. I started because I was consistently 143 6 weeks after the baby was born, but I've been putting on more weight recently.

I hope you're finding as much support here as I am! This place has been great so far for motivation. I'll send you a FR and we can help each other out also :)

Erica

8042984.png
  • mailloux3
    Options
    Hi there :) My name is Terry. My friends call me Big T. I just joined his site on Mon Nov 14th. I am a 45 yr old male, 6'0 tall, 304 lbs. I have a 23 yr old daughter who is getting married in May 2012 and I do NOT want to walk her down the aisle looking like the stay puff marshmallow man !! I welcome any encouragement and also have 2 good ears and 2 big shoulders to help you through any rough times. Keep up the fantastic work you are doing :) You really are an inspiration. I just hope I can stay the course this time. I am finding eating breakfast in the morning is the hardest part. That and drinking water.

Let's keep each other motivated :) And listen when one has to vent :) Success comes in numbers and friendship/support :)
  • sheresamae
    sheresamae Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    hi I am 30 years old i have a 3 year old and a 5 month old I had taken phentermine and lost about 50 lbs but was in the process of gaining it back when i got pregnant now i have a lot of weight to lose and i want to do it without med b/c i was gaining as soon as i quit taking it..
  • charlotte66
    charlotte66 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    hello

im charlotte 21 with 2 kids daughter whos 4 and son whos almost 6 weeks and i need to get myself back on track as i have put on 2 stone in the past nearly 2 years since meeting my partner! so started yesterday on getting my weight down :bigsmile: and my plan is to loose atleast 30lb

i find everyone trys to feed me if i say im trying to eat healthy go round to my mums have dinner which is fine then anything left she puts onto my pate!!!!! :grumble: not even my older brothers plate who could do with some fat on him. my bloody plate! my partner yesterday decided to buy me 2 bags of sweets the tonite says we are going to watch film with loads of snacks :grumble:
  • Jackie218
    Jackie218 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hey! lol My daughter will be 4 in February and i didnt start loosing weight till last year so i hung on to that " baby weight" for 3 years! (very depressing 4 me) but at least ur here making an effort to better yourself and your child so keep ur head up and keep fighting for what u want and never give up! I always tell people- when ur truely ready and willing thats when the change will happen, u gotta ask urself how bad to u want it? ive tried for years to diet but it didnt work cuz i gave up and didnt really want it that bad but here i am almost a year later and im down 76lbs! So Dont give up!! And use ur baby as ur inspiration as well! add me if ud like! And good luck on ur Journey!
  • Tharris28
    Tharris28 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get it! I am the mother of 2 boys (4 and 6) and just stopped using the baby weight excuse.
  • jnissi
    jnissi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love seeing all the mommies on here. I am here for the same reason. I have three children ( ages 7,4, and 25 months) We are done, and it is time to feel comfortable in my clothes again. I hate the mommy belly, and let's not even get started on the hips! =)
  • kimf412
    kimf412 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am also new here, and also can't use the baby excuse anymore, I am 29 and have a good amount of weight to lose, my little guy will be a year at the end of this month...I could use some weightloss buddies :)
  • nroisland
    nroisland Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I can't use the excuse anymore myself. I have a 2 year old and a 9 month old and gained 10lbs with each pregnancy that I can't shed for the life of me. I just purchased a elliptical machine and just started up'ing my cardio to 60 minutes a day. I'm hoping to see some change using this site because I seriously want to fit in to my old clothes and like a pp said I don't want to go out and buy a new wardrobe, besides it's way more fun to shop for the kids now than for me.
  • MamaEggs
    Options
    hi I am 30 years old i have a 3 year old and a 5 month old I had taken phentermine and lost about 50 lbs but was in the process of gaining it back when i got pregnant now i have a lot of weight to lose and i want to do it without med b/c i was gaining as soon as i quit taking it..

It's way more healthy to do it the right way anyway. I'm always scared of taking pills. I figure the weight didn't show up overnight so I can't get rid of it overnight either. (Even though I would like to!)

8042984.png
  • MamaEggs
    Options
    hello

im charlotte 21 with 2 kids daughter whos 4 and son whos almost 6 weeks and i need to get myself back on track as i have put on 2 stone in the past nearly 2 years since meeting my partner! so started yesterday on getting my weight down :bigsmile: and my plan is to loose atleast 30lb

i find everyone trys to feed me if i say im trying to eat healthy go round to my mums have dinner which is fine then anything left she puts onto my pate!!!!! :grumble: not even my older brothers plate who could do with some fat on him. my bloody plate! my partner yesterday decided to buy me 2 bags of sweets the tonite says we are going to watch film with loads of snacks :grumble:

I hate that! So frustrating! Well just after writing this post yesterday, I've had tons of help and motivation from people. I hope you get the same! Send me a FR and we can help each other :)

8042984.png
  • kastiltner
    Options
    Hello! I am right there with you! I was always the skinny girl, the cheerleader who was always on top of the pyramid. I have a 2 year old and I most certainly cannot use the baby excuse anymore either! I am reaching to lose about 30-35 lbs myself! Wishing you the very best of luck in your journey!
  • chacha1973
    Options
  • chacha1973
    Options
    I too have just had a baby 7 months ago. I am also 5'3" and sitting at 165. I LOVE this website and will do whatever I can to help you. Friend me and we will complete this journey TOGETHER!!!
  • Jessieamoore
    Options
    I am in the SAME boat! I am 5'2" and was always the skinny girl (size 0-3). I was comftorable at a size 5 when I got pregnant with my son in 2006. I lost some of the weight after I had him, then started to gain it all back. I got pregnant with my daughter and she is now 13 months old. No more "well I just had a baby". My goal is to lose at least 30 lbs. So I am right there with ya!
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My youngest "baby" is 17 years old, a 6 ft tall high school senior...

Are you telling me that I 'CAN'T' say it's my "baby weight" anymore? Why that's unbelievable! Whatever will I blame it on? I had no idea "that" excuse had an expiration date!

SmileyShocked-1vvpqbs.png

LOLOL!!!
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My youngest "baby" is 17 years old, a 6 ft tall high school senior...

Are you telling me that I 'CAN'T' say it's my "baby weight" anymore? Why that's unbelievable! Whatever will I blame it on? I had no idea "that" excuse had an expiration date!

SmileyShocked-1vvpqbs.png

LOLOL!!!

My sons are 26 and 30 (years old that is). Guess it's time to stop blaming them, too. Thanks to MFP I have lost 1/6th of my 'over' weight in the first month! Now the trick is to be patient, because it will be slower from here on out.