Bread?

Options

Replies

• cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Bread really isn't good for you. For me...I think that bread was a lot of my weight gain. My husband works for a major comp that makes bread (many of you have already reffered to it) and works as a moulder. After seeing what he does, I can't even look at bread the same anymore. So many different breads are made on the same lines. These lines don't get 'cleaned' in between doughs. When those dough balls go down the line, they pick up everything else that was on that line. Who knows what is really in your bread.

On another note...watch what you eat...literally :wink: I found plastic from someones gloves in a couple slices.
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Does no one make their own bread anymore...? About once every two weeks I make some oatmeal and honey bread (put away the bread machine, it tastes better hand made!). You can control exactly what goes in... and change it up depending on what you feel like.

I think bread is important when dieting, as long as (like everything else in life) you don't go overboard.
  • cloverluv
    Options
    Does no one make their own bread anymore...? About once every two weeks I make some oatmeal and honey bread (put away the bread machine, it tastes better hand made!). You can control exactly what goes in... and change it up depending on what you feel like.

I think bread is important when dieting, as long as (like everything else in life) you don't go overboard.

Can't agree with you more...I will admit that about 2 years ago I had no idea how to make my own bread lol
  • tig3rang3l
    Options

Can't agree with you more...I will admit that about 2 years ago I had no idea how to make my own bread lol

Heh, neither did I. I used to think it was so complicated until I actually watched my Nana do it (she was blind :tongue: )
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I haven't made my own bread in a while. I've made it by bread maker and by hand. I also prefer it by hand. I think I agree with both of you, I'm not going to give up bread, but use it in moderation like other stuff. :wink:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I haven't made my own bread in a while. I've made it by bread maker and by hand. I also prefer it by hand. I think I agree with both of you, I'm not going to give up bread, but use it in moderation like other stuff. :wink:

I like your screen name
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I tried making bread it came out looking like a triscuit.

• cloverluv
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm so excited that I found some Ezekial bread today! I love the things it has (and hasn't) got in it and I can taste the difference between it and the sprouted grains bread I eat.
  • hahahollylol
    Options

I like your screen name

thank you :smile:
  • hahahollylol
    Options
    Wonder Light Wheat Bread 40 Calories per slice or nickels liter 35 whole grain as per the name 35 calories per slice.

the low calorie breads are typically made up of the following-

Ingredients: Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Barley Malt, Ferrous Sulfate (Iron), B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid)], Water, Wheat Gluten, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Cracked Wheat, Cottonseed Fiber, Soy Fiber, Contains 2% or Less of Oat Fiber, Salt, Molasses, Dough Conditioners (May Contain: Ethoxylated Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Mono and Diglycerides, Calcium Dioxide and/or Datem), Soy Flour, Yeast Nutrients (May Contain: Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Ammonium Phosphate and/or Monocalcium Phosphate), Wheat Starch, Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Whey, Calcium Sulfate, Enzymes, Vinegar, Caramel Color, Calcium Propionate (to Retain Freshness), Soy Lecithin

DO YOU really want to put all that in your body just to save a few calories??

HERE are the ingredients in Ezekial whole grain bread-

Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat, Filtered Water, *Organic Malted Barley, *Organic Sprouted Whole Millet, *Organic Sprouted Whole Barley, *Organic Sprouted Whole Lentils, *Organic Sprouted Whole Soybeans, *Organic Sprouted Whole Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt.

Ezekial whole grain bread sounds really yummy! I'll keep the lookout for it.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

I like to make bread! Kneading dough feels good. Would you share your recipe for the oatmeal & honey bread?
  • tig3rang3l
    Options
    I watch a lot of Michael Smith, this is his recipe that I use, except I altered it a bit to suit what I liked.

1 1/2 cups warm water
    2 tsp yeast
    1/4 cup of honey
    2 cups white bread flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup oats (not the instant kind)
    2 tbsp dried milk powder
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 tsp salt

Mix all the dry ingredients together and spill it out onto your counter. With clean hands, make a well in the centre and drop your wet ingredients into the middle. Begin mixing together with your fingers until things come together into a dough and kneed it for 10 minutes. Once combined, put it in a greased bowl (use the olive oil again) and cover with a dish towel. Put aside to rest in a warm, dark place with no drafts (pantries are good for this) for about an hour. Once it's doubled in size, grab it out and punch the air out of it and kneed it again. Set it into the greased bread pan and let it rise again under the towel for about half an hour. Once it's done, place it into a 375 degree oven for about 40 minutes.

That's all there is to it! It sounds complicated, but hands-on time is only 20 minutes, and NOTHING beats a fresh, warm loaf of bread coming out of the oven!!!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    tig3rang3l, Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try it. We love fresh bread!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I personally like to make my own bread, however I tend to buy weight watchers bread since its easy to keep at work and it keeps longer than homemade bread.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I love Ace Bakery's Organic Granary Bread. It is full of seeds and stuff. It is 100 calories per slice, but I only eat it rarely or after I have worked out a lot.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    We either do Nature's Own 40 Calories per Slice

or

Sara Lee Delightful 45 Calories per slice.

I do the Sunbeam 40 cal per slice or Sara Lee 45 cal per slice. Have gotten use to the taste of "healthy" bread versus that fluffy heavenly overprocessed white bread I loved to eat in a former life. :wink:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

:laugh: I was just thinking about how I'd never get the dough to rise!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

Heh, neither did I. I used to think it was so complicated until I actually watched my Nana do it (she was blind :tongue: )

Okay, maybe I need to give it another try :smile:
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    I don't avoid bread, I just eat it in moderation (two slices per day for my lunch sandwich). I used to get the 45-calorie Sara Lee Delight Bread, but it's paper thin and I found that I got hungry soon after. Not to mention, if I recall, it's not 100% whole wheat or 100% whole grain.
    I switched to Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat. It has no high fructose corn syrup, is 100% whole grain, and low sugar. Yeah, it's like 100 cals/slice but it's healthier bread. And if I'm gonna eat bread, I'm gonna get the good stuff.

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter