Travel meal ideas please

Options
I am new to MFP and am planning a trip to see my daughter for Thanksgiving. My DH, DS 17 & I will be driving 14 hours and on a strict budget. Any ideas for snacks & meals? I have thought of nuts, apples, grapes, carrots, popcorn. But I am at a loss for a meal beside a sandwich that would be easy & filling to eat in the car or at a rest stop. I will be packing a small cooler.

Replies

• laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    How about a yummy salad with a small can of tuna?
  • alz6690
    Options
    Salad? Maybe add some pasta or cous cous or noodle to the salad or meat
  • stephiejones
    Options
    cold pasta dishes
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Can you take a cooler? Yogurt, string cheese, salad, light ham, tuna, or chicken spread for whole wheat crackers or pita bread. Hard boiled eggs, granola and nuts (go easy on those though) a vinaigrette coleslaw.......http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/salad1/Low_Fat_Salads.htm
  • gixy72
    gixy72 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    tuna pasta salad

savory rice

potato salad

low fat sausages (just as nice cold)

chilled cooked chicken breat

hope you have a fab time
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Cheese (1 oz) and crackers or apple slices - red bell pepper slices and a small cup of fat free ranch dressing for dip (heck, the bell pepper is good enough by itself! - dried apricots and pistachios (potassium boost!)... Fat free or sugar free pudding cups (60 calories)...
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    An apple and almond butter are yummy. Go for the raw, unsalted almond butter and you'll get the good fat and great taste
  • Xcuev
    Xcuev Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great ideas! I am usually pretty good at planning meals, but guess had a block. I am so excited about the trip. We haven't seen her since the middle of June & haven't seen her new apartment yet. I have so very much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.