I want to be a runner but my HR gets out of control! Help

Options
Hi!!!! Thanks for reading!!!!

My history... I am a yo-yo dieter and an emotional eater... My weight can fluctuate 50 lbs lighter or heavier in a matter of months... "back in the day" I was an athlete in HS... I have always been strong like bull, but slow like turtle...=) I work out pretty consistently... I lift heavy and love the endorphin rush I get from it.... Most of my cardio comes from spinning (which is a lot of go, go, go... but then back off between songs) I've noticed my heart rate increases quickly/returns to normal quickly. I assume this is from the stop and go of spinning... I have NOOOOOOO endurance.

My question... I have been trying to switch some from spinning to running but feel like I am going to die. I have tried the couch to 5k program but have failed miserably... Everytime I run I feel like my heart is going to explode out of my chest. I am hoping by adding running to my workouts it will help me 1. manage my weight better, and 2. help build endurance. What am I doing wrong???? How do I begin a program I can follow and will be able to complete? What would be a reasonable time frame to run a 5k? 10k? 1/2? I would really appreciate your help! Thanks so much! Jenna

Replies

• conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I would have to ask why you think you failed miserably or what does that mean???
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think one of the most important things when you start running is to start slow. If your heart was pounding and you couldn't do the program, chances are you're starting too fast. A lot of people do. Speed comes later, after endurance.
  • mbcasey2009
    mbcasey2009 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Slooooow down woman! If you can't "comfortably" carry on a conversation while you run, you're going too fast. I have asthma, it's actually gotten better since I became a runner several years ago, BUT, it took me a long time. I still have no lung capacity and if I stop for a week or so, it's like starting all over again for me. But you can do this! Slow and steady to build endurance, and THEN build up speed. Good luck!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I think one of the most important things when you start running is to start slow. If your heart was pounding and you couldn't do the program, chances are you're starting too fast. A lot of people do. Speed comes later, after endurance.

this. if you're "out of shape" you can't expect to strap on some shoes and go for a jog....start slow, speed walking, jogging, interval training, then running =) just don't get discouraged and quit!!
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I started running back i nMarch and have done 5ks and have gotten up to 6 miles. I had the same problem with the HR. So I got a HR monitor and started focusing on my breathing techniques to control my heart rate. Check out some breathing techiques for runners by googling and try some different ones. You may have to slow your pace some and build up your cardio health and endurance so your body can use the oxygen more efficiently. There are lots of "pro" runners so I would check to see what techniques they use. Perhaps find a local running group where the people can help you with that as you prepare for your runs. Hope this helps. I'm sure you will have better running experiences as you practice.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I would guess with almost 99% confidence that you are running too fast in your Couch to 5K attempts. Happened to me too and I almost went tachycardic. After I slowed my pace I was fine. It still pushed me to my limits, but not nearly as bad as before.

I went from 3.5mph walk/5.5mph run down to 3.0mph walk and 4mph run which saved me, and let me finish the program without problems.

Slow down, let your body get used to the new challenge.
  • Expatgirl
    Expatgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Visit your doctor and have your symtoms explored. I have a leaky valve that makes my HR/Blood Pressure unpredictable. Make sure you are OK with the docs.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same way! I can squat and bench with the boys but couldn't make it one lap around a track without wanting to die! Now, I'm registered for 4 half marathons in the next year!! You need to start VERY slow. Run at a pace so that you can talk (yes, talk to yourself) and go from there. I trained for my first 5K in 3 months. While you could probably do it faster, you won't enjoy it as much and there will be a big risk of getting injured. Look into Hal Higdon or C25K programs, both are great for getting you started.

As far as the HR goes, it comes down quickly because you're in good cardiovascular shape (good for you!!), which just solidifies the fact that you probably run too quickly currently. Start slow, build up your endurance, and then start working on speedwork. PM me if you want to see some same training ideas.

Take care!
  • barleespringers
    Options
    I just did my first 5k this past October. I was NEVER a runner but it took a lot of time to work my heart up to it. GO slower!! If that means, you have to walk 3.1 miles for awhile then do it (but walk fast). Then jog walk until you are able to jog nonstop the 3.1 miles (= 5k)

I was the girl in school that could not even run a mile. Now twice a week I am jogging 3.3 to 4 miles (non stop).
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    How high is your heart rate going? My heart rate gets high quickly, and I'm averaging around 165bpm when I'm running. My body is just used to it. I suggest giving it another chance and maybe slowing your pace a little until your body can adjust to the work. Otherwise get checked out by a doctor. Heart issues are nothing to mess around with.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

Yep!! Most people just try to do too much too fast. They wind up discouraged or think that they can't do it. One of the best pieces of advice I got as a new runner was not to worry about time, just go the distance.

I know a lot of people like C25K but there are other programs out there and maybe one of those will work better for you. Check out runnersworld.com or Hal Higdon. When I started I just ran for 2 or 3 minutes (I also started out trying to run too fast) then walk for 2 or 3 until I had run for 15 mins total. I started to make the running intervals longer, until I was running for 15 minutes straight, then built up from there.
  • ahmpierce1
    ahmpierce1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was NEVER a runner...up until a few months ago. We're talking I couldn't finish a 12 minute mile without collapsing.

Now, I can run an 8 minute mile no problem...and several at a time.

My suggestion is this. Start small. Real small. When I began, I would run .2 miles and then walk .3. That was all I could do for several weeks. Then I SLOWWWWWLY progressed to running longer and faster. It is NOT EASY and yes, you will feel like your heart is beating out of your chest. But that's OK. Just make sure to walk at those points! Walking is your best friend when you are a newbie runner.

At this point, I would say I am ready to run a 5K. Success doesn't happen overnight. It took me about 2 months of running a few times a week. And 2 months of running everyday to get to this point.

You can do it!
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I started by running 15mins and walking the rest then every week i added 5 more minutes until I made it to 5 miles of running.. You have to build endurance and stamina.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say that you are probably running to fast, however, I have the same problem even after "being a runner" for about 6 months now. If I do a "jog" (about 5mph for me) my heartrate is pretty much at 165 or so. But when I decide to push it (which for me is just 6mph or more) it gets up in the 180s (used to be 190's when I first started) My doctor knows and isn't stressed so unless I feel like i'm dying I push myself. I recently have started doing intervals running 4.5mph and every 1/4 mile getting .5mph faster up for 6.5 then going back down. After 30 minutes of that I feel like I got a great workout but my heartrate doesn't go too crazy because I allow myself to rest often by going down to 4.5mph
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I agree about going to your Dr. and being checked. I have exercise induced asthma and take my inhaler before I go out. It makes the biggest diffence for me. But you kneed to get checked to see what is going on. Be safe..
  • laz22girl
    Options
    I am sure you got a lot of good advice above. I didn't see anyone mention breathing.

However, that's huge when running. I'd suggest learning how to do deep breathing. You want your lungs to open up and allow oxygen in them while running...so you have to learn how to breathe/run at the same time.

When I first start running, I take a few mins to get my breathing under control. If my breathing isn't under control, my whole body feels out of control.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    One of my running books for beginners talked about PRE - Perceived Rate of Exertion - Slow down, go at what feels comfortable and go as long as you can - stop walk, rest a little and go at it again. Running is a slow process, speed comes later. I've read Hal Higdon suggestions not working on speed until you've been running a year.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    RPE is the best way, without a HRM. But it sounds like your Perceived Exertion is off ;) - you think you are OK when you are really exerting too much. I'd suggest investing in a HRM.

Then:
    Figure your max HR while running. There are a couple ways to do it, but DO NOT USE ANY FORMULAS! They are almost all wrong! I like Joe Friel's method: http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/labels/heart rate.html
    Then set up your zones, step 2 in the above link.

Your "easy" or "long" runs should be in zone 2. Zone 3 is aerobic and for slightly harder runs, but because it's aerobic, you should still be able to talk. Z3 is up to ~75% your max HR. Zone 2 is ~50-65% your max HR.

You go out for your run, you see your HR above zone 3? SLOW DOWN until you are in Z3. You might feel really slow, but you'll be able to keep that up for miles and miles.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    RPE is the best way, without a HRM. But it sounds like your Perceived Exertion is off ;) - you think you are OK when you are really exerting too much. I'd suggest investing in a HRM.

Then:
    Figure your max HR while running. There are a couple ways to do it, but DO NOT USE ANY FORMULAS! They are almost all wrong! I like Joe Friel's method: http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/labels/heart rate.html
    Then set up your zones, step 2 in the above link.

Your "easy" or "long" runs should be in zone 2. Zone 3 is aerobic and for slightly harder runs, but because it's aerobic, you should still be able to talk. Z3 is up to ~75% your max HR. Zone 2 is ~50-65% your max HR.

You go out for your run, you see your HR above zone 3? SLOW DOWN until you are in Z3. You might feel really slow, but you'll be able to keep that up for miles and miles.

Some great stuff. But if I had gotten this type of advice when I first started running, it would have scared me off completely!! I didn't need anything to tell me to slow down: my body did that just fine on it's own:-).