Canine ACL Ruptures surgery vs rehab

Options
VickiMitkins
VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
Hi MFP Friends,

This is a little off topic, but I could use some input if you have ever had experience with your dog rupturing its ACL. My dog (Salley) has been having problems with her left-rear leg for quite a while. Our former Vet said it was arthritis and to get some weight off of her. We were not so sure since Salley is only 3.5 years old and she was limping a lot more than one might expect from mild arthritis. She was also getting worse fast. Then last week she was in the back yard running. All of a sudden she yelped and fell down. We took her to the Vet (a different one who I had used in the past with my cats) who diagnosed ACL tears in both rear legs, with the right one being new. The vet referred us to a surgical hospital in the area and said that she probably needed a TPLO procedure in the right leg to start. After doing some research, we are not so sure we want this procedure. It's quite invasive. We are considering a much more conservative approach for the next couple of months. We want to see if rest and rehab can improve the situation. Salley weighs 75 lbs and is a lab/pit/boxer mix (we think). She is still pretty active and somewhat excitable, but usually controllable. If the rest and rehab don't work, we might consider surgery, but would prefer something less invasive than the TPLO. Any information or experience you have would be great. Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had a Beagle and he had the surgery to repair a torn ligamnet. It wasn't the TPLO at the time can't remember what it's called at the moment. Anyway he did really well after the surgery and there is a lot of restrictions after surgery. 2 years from the day of the first surgery his second knee went and I had that one repaired also. He never had any problems after that. Get your dog on a good supplement for her joints.If she is overweight get the weight off it really does make a difference. I used Synovi G3 you can buy it online @Enitrely pets.com cheapest place I found it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • CapsFan17
    Options
    I have not personally had to go through this but a friend of mine did. Her great dane was (is) over weight and tore both rear ACLs, about a year apart. My friend did opt for the surgery both times and Roxy (the dane) made a full recovery both times, and was back to her old energetic self in no time. I hope this helps, good luck!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Not a dog, but my cat tore her rear left ACL several years ago. My Vet recommended to not do surgery, but constrict her movements for several weeks (that was fun!).
    Now- 6 years later, she still sits on that leg in a weird way- and when it's cold outside I can tell it bothers her.

I'm glad she didn't have surgery- but sometimes I think she didn't heal correctly...

Good luck with your pup!!!
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Rest and rehab typically only prolongs the inevitable. In animals, ACL tears typically occur not because of abnormal stress/strain/injury (like humans) but because the slope of the tibial plateau is to shallow and the joint itself is unstable, causing the dog to put strain on the tendon everytime weight is put on the joint (standing, walking, running, jumping... every day).

TPLO is invasive (it is basically steepening the slope of the plateau to increase joint stability and reduce strain on the tendon) but is is repairing a structural abnormality. With proper aftercare (crating, leash walking, etc.) most surgeries are successful and dogs return to full activity within 6 mo. after surgery.

Over the years, your dog will become more uncomfortable if the surgery is not done. Even if this tear repairs with rest and rehab, most canine ACL tears progress into full tears within a matter of time because the underlying structure is straining the tendon with every move.

I'm sorry I don't have better news. I have dog that has had 2 TPLOs and it was very expensive but also worth it.
  • reen62
    reen62 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ACL tears in dogs are one of, if not the most common injury. If left untreated it will develop scar tissue around the sight and arthritis will set in much earlier. She is a young dog and without the surgery she will not be able to run jump and play like a normal dog her age. Yes, the surgery is expensive, yes it is invasive, yes it is a long recovery but she has many years left to live. Check wtih a couple different vets about what type of surgery they perform as there are several different methods. With her size, breed and age you don't want to have to go through this again. The cheapest is not necessarily the way to go. Do your research. Good luck and I hope she makes a full recovery!!
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks. We put Salley on supplements several months ago and plan to continue. We are working on the weight issue together and started about a year ago. She has gone from 80 lbs to 76 lbs now. The vet suggested we get her down to 65lbs, so we are restricting her diet even more. The money is not the issue. We are very concerned about the risks associated with such an invasive surgery. We also wondered if the TPLO is really necessary for a medium size dog that can be controlled. I know it's the best for large dogs like Dane's or dogs that compete. Could the more convenional surgeries be sufficient with rest and rehab?
  • glindroos
    Options
    Accupuncture worked very well for one of my dogs. A few short sessions gave her 2 more quality years.