Personal Female Question...

Since I've upped my cardio to 1 hour+ everyday day, I've skipped my period or it's been very light and lasts about a day.

This seems really unhealthy to me... has this happened to anyone else? Should I be concerned?

Replies

• Big changes in diet and exercise, especially with high exercise, can reduce or get rid of periods until your body adjusts. It can also be an indicator of under-nutrition. But as long as you're eating enough it's probably just the change in exercise.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    you should probably get some advice from you doctor. Never has happened to me. How much are you eating? You may not be getting the proper nutrition.
  • JennW130
    you should probably get some advice from you doctor. Never has happened to me. How much are you eating? You may not be getting the proper nutrition.
    i should also say that mine have always been light though.
  • I've never had that happen--even when training for fights 2-3 hours per day. I'd talk to the doc.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member

I get at least 1200 calories a day, I'm always over on protein and fiber, and I take daily multivitamins. I don't think I'm malnourished or anything. I have an appointment with a doctor next week.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Big changes in diet and exercise, especially with high exercise, can reduce or get rid of periods until your body adjusts. It can also be an indicator of under-nutrition. But as long as you're eating enough it's probably just the change in exercise.

This, I would however talk to my Dr just to be on the safe side.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I missed my period once back in April or May. I asked my OBGYN about it and she said she didn't think it was due to weight loss or the exercise, but related to my birth control pill which can make you miss a period.

Every since that one time, I haven't missed any.. but I have been come more regular that's for sure.
  • I'm 33 days late or something crazy like that. My doctor said my body is adjusting to excersize and the "stress" on the body from going from sitting on the couch to working out daily.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member

I get at least 1200 calories a day, I'm always over on protein and fiber, and I take daily multivitamins. I don't think I'm malnourished or anything. I have an appointment with a doctor next week.
    If that's true then you aren't logging everything. Your diary shows you under 1200 for 5 out of the last 7 days.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member

If that's true then you aren't logging everything. Your diary shows you under 1200 for 5 out of the last 7 days.

I have had trouble meeting 1200, but I've been trying hard to stick to it. Saturday and Sunday I didn't know how to log some of the food that I ate at eclectic restaurants (I definitely exceeded 1200 calories!), and Monday & Tuesday I had a slight stomach bug and ate as much as possible! I ALWAYS make sure to have enough protein and all of the nutrients in my multivitamin to make up for anything that may be lacking in my food.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I'm not judging you, but trying to help you get to the bottom of this. Your diary shows 1000 calories or less on most days for weeks. You're eating hundreds less than your calorie allowance. I just think that might be related.
  • I went 4 years without a period due to over exercising and under eating, but I went to Dr. s a few times about this and they didn't see it as a big deal. I just all the sudden got them again and have been mostly regular lately. I think it does have something to do with your body adapting to the new lifestyle. I think for peace of mind, you should go to the Dr. but I think that what you are experiencing is not all that uncommon. Women can go without a period for several months and it is fine. Most women are fairly irregular.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    1,200 is pretty low for someone who does over an hour of intense cardio everyday. I also stopped getting my period when I was dieting and working out a lot. During that time I cut my fat intake severly. I ate plenty of protein, fruits and veggies, but hardly any fats. My boobs shrunk, my skin didn't look as healthy, and my hair was brittle. When I began reintroducing fats into my diet (healthy fats- low fat yogurt as opposed to fat-free, avocados, low fat chocolate milk, etc.), that's when I got my period back. My hair and skin look better again, and my boobs are a big bigger without adding weight other places. When you see your doctor you need to more closely look at what kind of calories you're eating.

Also keep in mind that exercising changes the amounts of hormones in your body. If you are on birth control you may need to switch to a different kind to accomodate for your new lifestyle.
  • JennW130

I have had trouble meeting 1200, but I've been trying hard to stick to it. Saturday and Sunday I didn't know how to log some of the food that I ate at eclectic restaurants (I definitely exceeded 1200 calories!), and Monday & Tuesday I had a slight stomach bug and ate as much as possible! I ALWAYS make sure to have enough protein and all of the nutrients in my multivitamin to make up for anything that may be lacking in my food.
    you actually dont absorb nearly as much as you think you do with that multivitamin. But yeah, bring it up with your dr, like you have planned and go from there. it could be just a shock to the body too like somebody else mentioned
  • I noticed the same with mine, i would normally spot for 2-3 days once going back on my pill. But this time It stopped the same night I started the Pill again.
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    If you're getting enough nutrition and water and are not presently trying to have a baby I wouldn't worry too much about it. Still ask your doctor though.