Best Tips for Success

Options
Hello!

What are the best tips you can give for success? I want to succeed. I WILL succeed. But I need the tools to do so. I've done WW before, I've done eDiets, Atkins, shakes, etc. I want to be healthy lose weight and be happy.

So if you're at or near your goal, can you share the tips that you feel got you there? (Snacks, exercises, vitamins, mindsets)

Thanks!
Stacy

Replies

• neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter which "diet" you choose, if you aren't consistent, nothing is going to work IMO. Being consistent and having patience are number 1 for me. Good luck with your journey!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Food Scale (portion size was a big eye opener for me)
    Measuring cups
    Measuring spoons

The human brain is really good with shapes not so good with volume so always measure.

Welcome and Great Good Luck to you on your journey.
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    An awesome MFP support system:)
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    1. Drink lots of water daily
    2. Eat slowly
    3. At least 30 minutes of some kind of exercise 5-7 days a week
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My tip is don't bite off more than you can chew:
    i.e a 1/2 to 1lb per week loss is better than trying for a 2lb per week loss and not managing it.
    I kept trying to aim for a 1lb loss, but I just can't function on that little food. So over the course of just over 2 years of trying that (managing it for a day or two, then crashing) I've actually GAINED 22lb. Wheras if I'd just aimed for a 1/4-1/2lb per week, I could have been 26lb lighter by now (not that I needed to lose that much originally! I do now though!)

If you can manage the large deficits, then that's all well and good, but if you find its just too much, go for a smaller one and know that it will pay off eventually.
  • erinnhamil2n
    erinnhamil2n Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Remeber this is a life change not a diet. You will probably make a few mistakes but don't let them define your journey.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I haven't met my goal but I am about half way there... My biggest thing is DO NOT GIVE UP! A loss is a loss no matter how big or small. Even if you have a gain once in a while, just know that it does happen and IS fixable :)
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey girlie! I'm nowhere near or at goal, but like you, I've tried everything and never could last very long. For whatever reason, it is clicking with me now. Part of it has to do with some not so great blood results I got and my willpower NOT to be on medication for certain things. So, when I think of cheating I think about that.

I really, really like MFP. I love the phone app. Logging everything in the morning helps me a lot. I know what kind of wiggle room, if any, I have for inevitable disruptions/temptations. Eating out is always a challenge for me, so before we go anywhere, I look at the menu and plan what I'm going to get. And I don't even look at the menu when I get there.

I'm down 12 pounds in 5 weeks, but more importantly, I have actually stuck with a plan for 5 weeks straight! That is huge for me.
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    Hey girlie! I'm nowhere near or at goal, but like you, I've tried everything and never could last very long. For whatever reason, it is clicking with me now. Part of it has to do with some not so great blood results I got and my willpower NOT to be on medication for certain things. So, when I think of cheating I think about that.

I really, really like MFP. I love the phone app. Logging everything in the morning helps me a lot. I know what kind of wiggle room, if any, I have for inevitable disruptions/temptations. Eating out is always a challenge for me, so before we go anywhere, I look at the menu and plan what I'm going to get. And I don't even look at the menu when I get there.

I'm down 12 pounds in 5 weeks, but more importantly, I have actually stuck with a plan for 5 weeks straight! That is huge for me.

Awesome job! I +think+ I"m in the right mindset. PCP wants me to have lost 10 lbs by Jan 2. Gave me attainable goals of diet, exercise, etc. I know what I need to do, I just get so frustrated so easily with the lack of movement on the scale. :( I know I should not compare my journey to others and wasnt looking for a quick fix. I'm looking for POSITIVE encouragement. :bigsmile:

Thanks! And keep em coming!
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:

Awesome job! I +think+ I"m in the right mindset. PCP wants me to have lost 10 lbs by Jan 2. Gave me attainable goals of diet, exercise, etc. I know what I need to do, I just get so frustrated so easily with the lack of movement on the scale. :( I know I should not compare my journey to others and wasnt looking for a quick fix. I'm looking for POSITIVE encouragement. :bigsmile:

Thanks! And keep em coming!

Me too! The first week I lost like 3 pounds, but then the next two weeks I stalled. Didn't gain, but didn't lose. I was very frustrated! But, I stuck it out and have lost every week since then. I'm determined to win the mind game this time!