What the heck am I doing wrong.......

Options
It was all so easy before - I spent years being "large" and just didnt care - then 4 years ago - I looked in the mirror and it clicked- "Hello - Have you LOOKED at yourself - your son is 6 - How long are you planning on holding on to that extra 100 pounds" I started WATCHING what I ate - and exercising - and amazingly enough - I lost the weight quickly and felt amazing -

Then came the news - Suprise - that baby we said you couldnt have - She'll be here in 8 months --- your pregnant --- I became FRANTIC - thinking back to the 100+ lbs I had gained with my son - thinking back about how freakin hard I had JUST worked to lose it all --- But at the same time, I was beyond excited to finally be pregnant again (wondering if the weight loss had something to do with it) and determined to NOT gain unhealthy amounts of weight.......

Its a year later - Im back to busting my hump - no fast food - no pop - exercising daily - and Ive only lost ONE pound ......................... HELP! What am I doing wrong? :explode:

Replies

• PELLEGK1
    PELLEGK1 Posts: 19
    Options
    It was all so easy before - I spent years being "large" and just didnt care - then 4 years ago - I looked in the mirror and it clicked- "Hello - Have you LOOKED at yourself - your son is 6 - How long are you planning on holding on to that extra 100 pounds" I started WATCHING what I ate - and exercising - and amazingly enough - I lost the weight quickly and felt amazing -

Then came the news - Suprise - that baby we said you couldnt have - She'll be here in 8 months --- your pregnant --- I became FRANTIC - thinking back to the 100+ lbs I had gained with my son - thinking back about how freakin hard I had JUST worked to lose it all --- But at the same time, I was beyond excited to finally be pregnant again (wondering if the weight loss had something to do with it) and determined to NOT gain unhealthy amounts of weight.......

Its a year later - Im back to busting my hump - no fast food - no pop - exercising daily - and Ive only lost ONE pound ......................... HELP! What am I doing wrong? :explode:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Are you sticking to a set number of calories per day? Are you watching your sodium intake and drinking plenty of water? How often do you excercise doing cardio and strength training and for how long? What is a typical days menu for you?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    you just joined in April... and you've lost a pound... how long has it been exactly? because it sounds to be like you're doing just fine. It took me almost 3 weeks to lose my first pound here.
  • PELLEGK1
    Options
    Ive been watching my calories daily - and havent been "over" since I started really watching them 2 weeks ago - like I said Ive cut out all junk food - fast food - pop, and enter everything I do eat now to make sure Im not over at all.

As far as exercise, Im doing at least a half hour of bike riding and at least a half hour of "walking" on even # days, and on odd # days, its all about crunches, leg lifts, etc.,
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If youve lost 1 lb in a 1-3 week period I wouldnt worry....if its been longer I would play with the calories a bit and keep the sodium 1500-1800mg..some other things to consider are carbs and fats....good luck
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I checked out your profile, it says you want to lose 25 pounds..When you're more over weight (you said you lost 100 lbs the first time around) you lose alot faster, especially in the beginning when you have more weight to lose.

If you feel like your diet is healthy and within your calories, then you might want to check into changing up your exercise routine. Even with cardio your body learns and adapts, and exercises become less effective overtime.

Truth is if you're two weeks in, and you've lost one pound, that's a pretty healthy pace. losing .5-1.5 pounds a week is a steady, healthy goal.

Give yourself a break! Think of it as being healthier, living a healthier life, not just a way to diet off the extra pounds.

Enjoy those beautiful kids, and play with them! Its spring! We're never as hard on anyone as we are on ourselves!
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Don't go into panic mode yet, there are weeks where I don't lose anything but some how if I count back from the day I started to now it works out almost dead on the amount of weight lost compared to the amount of weeks I've been using MFP.

(26lbs lost over a 26 week period)

But there are spans for like a month where I won't see the scale budge, and than all of a sudden I'll be down 4 lbs.

Stay motiviated, continue to log EVERYTHING you put in your mouth....even if you have a treat or the butter on your bread, ketchup on your plate, etc Every calorie adds up....it can seem tedious at times, but eventually you'll be able to just eyeball things and know off the top of your head how many cals is in something (plan better).

Keep up the good work!!:bigsmile:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I agree with the pp who said it's a bit different when you don't have so much weight to lose. I had 21 pounds to lose - started January 9th of this year - and I'm 1.5 pounds from my goal weight now.

It will come off! Keep exercising, watching your calorie intake and be patient - good things come!
  • PELLEGK1
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive support everyone - Maybe I'll avoid the scale for a day or two
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you're nursing, be sure you're getting enough calories. When I had my last boy, I was told to eat an extra 500 calories.
  • exercisediva
    Options
    Yes dont weigh yourself because your weight fluctuates. Also change your program frequently. OUr bodies get used to the same routine. Change your reps, duration or even the time of day you exercise every two weeks to shock your body. But most of all keep doing what you are doing, those stubborn pounds will come right off! :happy:
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I will tell you I also have weeks where I don't lose a thing. Then, I'll have some weeks where I lose three pounds or so. Just don't flip out so soon. If you continue to live healthy (eat right and exercise more) it WILL come off. Try to be a little patient.

Good luck to you, babies are a wonder and baby weight is...well, it's life.

Just keep pluggin' along.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: