Husband is a picky eater.

Options
2»

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    LOL he would probably stave he actually just got back from South Korea & starved their. He hate rice as well. :P

Oh my! Well, I assume he is wonderful in every other way. I have a coworker who is 60 years old and has never had soup. She pretty much eats cake, pretzels, fritos, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Send him to a remote village in China for a month. He will either starve or learn to stop eating like a toddler.
    That cracked me up! (it's true though) lol
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone know some awesome yummy recipes for my husband since he's a picky eater? He dislike vegetables and fruits.

It's all in how you cook veggies. Overdone or underdone veggies without flavoring is ick. You can steam or sautee almost any vegetable in garlic, a little butter, and some spices (oregano, cilantro, basil, etc.) and make them absolutely amazing and flavorful.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Tell him, he can eat what you cook or he can make his own dinner. I bet he'd get pretty tired of pb&j sandwiches all the time.
  • dillard_kelly
    Options
    Men love the grill... I love to cut up veggies and toss on the grill. It gives them a wonderful taste... Asparagus is especially yummy grilled, squash, potatoes, carrots... well everything, lol !!!! Add some spice and he should dig in !
  • Thanks for everyone'c comments, I have read all the comments to him & hes loving all the attention. ;) I guess I will have him fend for himself, loving everyone's comments made me have a great laugh.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Mexican Chicken

Ingredients:
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions:
    Add chicken to slow cooker.
    Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
    Pour salsa and soup over chicken.
    Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
    Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
    Serve with rice.

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 157.2
    Total Fat: 3.3 g
    Cholesterol: 63.4 mg
    Sodium: 654.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 6.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9 g
    Protein: 24.3 g
    Just had to post that I made this receipe yesterday and LOVED it! I actually modified just it a smidge....used everything as stated, but then removed the chicken from the crock pot to the plate, stirred in the sour cream as directed, and added a bit of 2% sharp cheddar on top of the chicken before spooning the sauce over it (skipped the rice). I just had leftovers for lunch and it was amazing! After 6 hours in the crock pot it was falling apart, and could have easily been shredded to make a mexican dip or a burrito filling too....
    Thanks for sharing!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Mexican Chicken.......
    My wife is a picky eater and this is one of the things she loves.
    I have to say, as much as I love her, its often hell finding a place to eat that satisfies all of us and my kid is her squared.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Your husband sounds like my twin. Some things I hate the taste and some its the texture. And people HATE
    Picky eaters! My husband wont eat wheat anything and claims that he's not picky, ut he hates fruit and
    Is picky about certain veggies. I have to say though, if he's hungry he wont turn down food, even if its not
    what he likes. don't have much advice for the pickiness. Im struggling with that myself.
  • Katedimaggio
    Katedimaggio Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues but with stepson. After a lot of experimenting, I have found a few veggies he will eat. One is carrots steamed then smothered in butter and brown sugar. Healthier than a bag of doritos!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    My hubby didn't like courgette (zucchini), I tried several ways of cooking it and the best so far is make really think slices using a potato peeler and sautéing in olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper. He loved it!! I was going to add parmesan to it but I forgot lol.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    From experience, it does make a difference if it's taste or texture he dislikes. Let me give you an example: had an ex that had a texture issue, was always like that since he was born (so his mom said), he would only eat green apples, peanut butter toast, fries, drink orange and grape gatorade. I was with him 3 years and there was never a possibility to open it up for him, it's apparently something you can't change, 10 years later, he still eats that way.

Current boyfriend is picky too, meat and potato kind of guy, but that's because he wasn't offered many options growing up at home, I surprise his mom every week with new food he eats. I try different ways to present food, have him try and see how it goes from there...i've upgraded him in a way ;) I had to be creative, but it worked :)
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Eat what I cook or starve. I'm not a short-order cook. This also holds true for my 6 year old, my 5 year old and my 3 year old.

This holds true in my house as well.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Could it be he just likes simple foods? Or foods with lower smells (stinky fish)? Strong flavor?

For most foods It depends on how it is prepared to determines If I like it or not. For example, Veggies should still have some crunch, rice and pasta cooked al dente. It's a challenge to get them right every time. Most fish is over cooked and/or smelly. Veggies are bland or bitter.
  • KarenG1213
    Options
    Thanks! bump
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Bump for self

Picky eater here. Foods over the past yr I now like:

Sweet potatoes. If you have a mandolin and an oven, baked sweet potato chips are great. Slice as thin as possible, place chips on parchment paper'd cookie rack, sprinkle thyme and cayenne pepper, bake at 10 min at 425F. Done

Apples. Baked apples are great, and you can make healthy apple chips in the same fashion you make sweet potato chips. Bit of cinnamon, yum.

Onions. Used to hate it in ground beef. Now I'm puzzled when they're not there. Chop into small pieces & fry them up. These totally depend on how they're cooked, and if something is overpoweringly oniony, I will hate it.

Berries. Fresh raspberries, blueberries & strawberries blended w/ OJ to make a smoothie.

Corn salsa. The spices mask the vegetables

Hummus. OK, I've always liked hummus.

Pizza. BigAgra did just lobby for it to be a vegetable...
  • misty8parker
    misty8parker Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!
  • Erica9903
    Options
    Eat what I cook or starve. I'm not a short-order cook. This also holds true for my 6 year old, my 5 year old and my 3 year old.

This holds true in my house as well.

Mine too!! I have a full time job as well 3 kids (including the hubby) and I don't have time to cook multiple meals. He will eat what you cook if he gets hungry enough.