are you STILL losing???

Options
I had a person ask me you're done losing right? Umm no. Then they gave me a well i think you're getting too skinny look. Seriously! I'm a size 14/16 and I don't think that I'm too skinny yet plus is she my doctor or something? I didn't know she her doctorate in medicine. But on a more positive note I just made my first fitness goal!!!!!!!

P.S. What do you say to people like that?

Replies

• sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine told me, "The diet is over" and I just responded that according to my height and weight chart, I was not yet in a healthy range.

Perhaps you could use that answer? Simple. Direct. But not aggressive, either?

Good luck!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine told me, "The diet is over" and I just responded that according to my height and weight chart, I was not yet in a healthy range.

Good luck!

I like this, it's a very diplomatic answer, and one I use as well.
  • espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I think sgolman said it best... people, including my husband, always tell me I am skinny "enough".. uh, maybe to them but I know I still need more too lose... I wanna be happy with my weight, I am doing it for me, not them
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    As far as society is concerned, if you're not clearly obese, you have no reason to lose weight.
  • vittoria19
    vittoria19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They are just jelous and I would reply that scale never lies. I was a 16 and now I am a 6 but I still have 20 pound to loose accordingly to my height and also to me people are saying that I am crazy... my reply is that science is not an opinion!
    Ciao :)
  • norma67
    norma67 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: AWESOME for hitting your first fitness goal.

As for those that make those comments I normally say,

"Thank you I am glad you think I don't need to lose anymore weight but for me I need to lose a few more pounds, but thanks for the ego boost."
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have had several people tell me they figured I should be done or that I'm melting away but I'm still in the overweight category so I usually smile and say almost or working on it.

My best friend does occasionally say I'm skinny enough but she doesn't mean it in a bad way. She is so proud of me and tells me all the time, she's just afraid I will actually overdo it because she knows I struggle with my self image of my body.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I usually thank people for being sweet/flattering by saying they think I don't have any more to lose and just tell them that I have a little more to do before I'm where I want to be. I try to make it more about overall fitness and health rather than a focus on weight...like "well I still would like to be in better shape" or "I really want to get to the point where I can run a 10K" (insert your own actual goals), so you could try that.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    yup, people say this to me all the time..
  • gemini0007
    gemini0007 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    OMG - I am sick of hearing from people that it's time to stop and just maintain. I still have 5kgs to go (11 pounds) - yes, I do look way better now at a size 10 than I did at a size 16 - but (respectfully) - BUTT OUT!! I am just over the healthy range for my BMI and I want a little cushion as I know maintaining will be hard work. And like someone else said I did this for me not you.
    I had a friend tell me yesterday that my face was too skinny and I should stop because now I am smaller than her -WTF???
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I agree with UponThisRock.

People are so use to seeing obese people that when you are in "normal" range they feel a need to comment. It really upsets me - I had someone tell me that I was "skinny" enough - I hate that word - No one commented when I was fat!! No one told me to put those chips down but now they are throwing the bag at me.

I am fit, bust my butt working out and eat well (don't deprive myself at all - portion control for me).
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    in real life, ive never been told this...but i get this all the time on mfp. i suggest just shrugging it off. do what makes YOU happy. you have a right to be happy with who you are because at the end of the day the one person you always have is yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    As far as society is concerned, if you're not clearly obese, you have no reason to lose weight.

And misery loves company...
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    OMG - I am sick of hearing from people that it's time to stop and just maintain. I still have 5kgs to go (11 pounds) - yes, I do look way better now at a size 10 than I did at a size 16 - but (respectfully) - BUTT OUT!! I am just over the healthy range for my BMI and I want a little cushion as I know maintaining will be hard work. And like someone else said I did this for me not you.
    I had a friend tell me yesterday that my face was too skinny and I should stop because now I am smaller than her -WTF???

OMGawsh that reminds me of when I was 15. I studied abroad, and my host family force fed me because my "face was too thin." At the time I believed them, but looking back on it I realized they were simply trying to make me uglier than their daughters (who in my opinion were prettier without needing to make me chubby anyway)...They also told me to go platinum blonde, Meh. I left the country looking awful LOL.
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the suggestions! I really didn't know what to say to lady as she just looked at me waiting for me to agree with her I guess. I didn't want to be rude but couldn't think of anything nice to say.

And I think you all are right about society not recognizing healthy when they see it or misery wanting company.