how do you keep going?

Options
My back aches, my abs burn, my legs are stiff and my arms are unusable..after ONE workout. How do people do back to back workouts with the aches?

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between soreness and pain (like from injury). If it's soreness I know that I can work through it and it will be less next time and less the time after that. I also know that if I quit then when I start up again I'll have the original soreness all over again.

If it's pain from injury you need to not do stuff that will make it worse and allow it to heal.

That's how I do it (mostly).
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Give it a few days and try again... you won't be nearly as sore... and before you know it, you won't be sore at all... your body and muscles need to adjust to the extra work...
  • mmaggio80
    Options
    The more you do the better your body will become at getting rid of the lactic acid and will recover faster. When I stop for extended periods of time I try and work out every other day and switch muscle groups up for a few weeks.
  • sarajmitch79
    Options
    i use the 2 containers of jeans that i can't wear as motivation :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Soreness decreases after you've been doing it for a while
  • nsanati
    nsanati Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Esp in the beginning, u need to rest ur body in between workouts. Like one day on, one day off - until u dont hurt anymore - then go back to the gym. Also - epsom salt baths REALLY DO HELP SORE MUSCLES! GL!
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would start smaller.
    when I was eager to lose the weight I was over doing it and then burning out.
    I would start smaller where your not as sore and keep at it then bump it up.

What I have realized from this site is that the quick fix isnt the best option, its the healthy long hall.

Good luck chickadee!
  • alucard835
    alucard835 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You don't want to overdo it but if you keep moving, even if you are sore, it will help your muscles recover quicker. Do something light like yoga that will help you stretch your muscles out and keep your body moving.

If you are finding yourself to be incredibly sore you might want to tone back the intensity. You want to be sore, but not so sore that you're out of commission for a few days. Use lighter weights, or do less reps with heavier weights.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Esp in the beginning, u need to rest ur body in between workouts. Like one day on, one day off - until u dont hurt anymore - then go back to the gym. Also - epsom salt baths REALLY DO HELP SORE MUSCLES! GL!

I agree, and on your days off, do a really low impact cardio workout like walking, and then stretch...a lot. It helped me along with the baths. If you have a dog, perfect time to walk it!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I realized that as long as it's normal soreness from working out new muscles, that working out again the next day will make me feel sooo much better and surprisingly, not as sore. Just keep at it and remember, eventually your body will get used to it and the soreness will actually be something you'll look forward to :)
  • LisaT9101
    Options
    A couple of Motrin helps with the soreness. Also drink lots of high quality H2O!
  • pavan12
    Options
    soreness decreases after a while. Work out light and then gradually pushing yourself more and more.

and taking really cold showers ( even though migh be tough) it helps or you can use the icy hot or ben gay.
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    If you are in a lot of pain,you are doing something wrong, either working out too hard (beyond your current ability) too long, or you are doing the movements wrong. You need to ease into it gradually and not try and do a marathon level workout the when you first start.

For example, when I first started working out after a long hiatus, I did not try and do the normal 5 mile run I was use to. I first started out walking 2 minute, running 30 secs, walking 2 minutes, running 30 seconds etc. Each week I was able to run a little more so that it reversed itself. Run 2-3 minutes, walk 30 seconds,etc. Before I knew it, I could run a whole mile without dying!

If you are sore, you are normal :>) Just know that the soreness will ease up as your body gets use to you using it! Be sure to stretch after every work out as that will help ease the soreness.

Good luck!
  • aripak
    aripak Posts: 33
    Options
    Once you warm up during your next workout the aches and pains won't be as noticeable. Keep moving, it will actually make you feel better in the long run...just don't overdo it :)
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    STRETCH!!!!!!!!

If you stretch before and after this will significantly decrease your next day soreness!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I LOVE when I am sore after a workout! Thats how I know I'm really digging deep! I just workout through it. As long as its sore and not actual pain like another poster said.

Working out through the soreness verses waiting until my muscles are no longer sore seems to help it.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    At the beginning I found doing light cardio afterwards helped lots. Stretches the muscles out and helps the lactic acid move through the muscles and then released.
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Start slow - don't do back to back workouts, you'll eventually get there. A hot bath does wonders. Take ibruprofen, it really will help. I'm not sure of your activity level during the day, but if you have a sit down job, try to get up and move around a little. Getting those muscles warmed back up will help. Just remember "This too shall pass!"