Building Upperbody Strength w/ Bad Shoulders...

Options
Looking for some advice from people who lift heavy weight, but then any advice is useful

I started a strength training program back in September that consist of Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Bent Barbell Rows, and Overhead Press. Yes, SL 5x5.

Everything was going great, and then one day, my siatic nerve decided to put me on the sidelines. No matter what kind of physical condition I'm in, that pain comes back at least twice a year to screw with me. During the whole month of October, I didnt lift any weights at all. But this isnt about my back...

During this down time, I started to experience this really achy achy pain in both of my deltoids and rotator cuffs.
Now I have never in my life felt pain in these areas of my shoulders EVER! All these years of lifting weights and being active, tennis, kickboxing, anything and everything, Never had this problem. And during my 4 plus weeks of downtime, I didnt lift a thing and they never got any better. The pain and achiness is constant. Raising my arms in front of me, to the side and over my head hurts.

So.. It's November now and my back is a non-issue. The back feels great! So I'm back to Squating, Deadlifting and I can even do Bent Barbell Rows.. but Bench Press and Overhead Press I CANT do. I even tried with light weight and its just way to painful.
However, any "pull" type lift is no problem like as I said, Bent barbell rows, and even Lat pull downs.

So does any experienced person have advice, suggestions for alternative exercise. I need to build my chest and shoulders, but as they say, you cant build strength without lifting heavy.. and as it is now.. I CANT lift heavy due to my shoulders...

As it is now, I feel I'm S.O.L.

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you have bursitis???

I am not a Doctor but this sounds like what my Dad used to get years ago.

Something about an inflammation caused by the muscle crossing on the bone. Brutal pain for very specific movements but none for others using the same muscle group.

Hope you get it sorted out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Looking for some advice from people who lift heavy weight, but then any advice is useful

I started a strength training program back in September that consist of Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Bent Barbell Rows, and Overhead Press. Yes, SL 5x5.

Everything was going great, and then one day, my siatic nerve decided to put me on the sidelines. No matter what kind of physical condition I'm in, that pain comes back at least twice a year to screw with me. During the whole month of October, I didnt lift any weights at all. But this isnt about my back...

During this down time, I started to experience this really achy achy pain in both of my deltoids and rotator cuffs.
    Now I have never in my life felt pain in these areas of my shoulders EVER! All these years of lifting weights and being active, tennis, kickboxing, anything and everything, Never had this problem. And during my 4 plus weeks of downtime, I didnt lift a thing and they never got any better. The pain and achiness is constant. Raising my arms in front of me, to the side and over my head hurts.

So.. It's November now and my back is a non-issue. The back feels great! So I'm back to Squating, Deadlifting and I can even do Bent Barbell Rows.. but Bench Press and Overhead Press I CANT do. I even tried with light weight and its just way to painful.
    However, any "pull" type lift is no problem like as I said, Bent barbell rows, and even Lat pull downs.

So does any experienced person have advice, suggestions for alternative exercise. I need to build my chest and shoulders, but as they say, you cant build strength without lifting heavy.. and as it is now.. I CANT lift heavy due to my shoulders...

Azdak posted a great thread on this and I know from personal experience and training clients, it's dead on right. Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/381374-shoulder-packing-u-needz-it?hl=pack+your+shoulders#posts-5220020

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    i have weak shoulders as to my scoliosis, keen to see what everyone says.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've tried resting them.

The only thing I can think of is to consult a Doctor, preferably one that has experience of dealing with sports injuries. Either that or a Sports Physio. It may be you need some kind of physio or even medical treatment before you start lifting heavy again.

With that having been said, if you want to do it yourself, you could consider your own physio program of a few weeks rest, frequent stretching and icing and then try lifting again with light weights (although again, it sounds like you've already done this). You could also consider trying different exercises to see if they tweak them at all. I injured my rotator cuff a few years back and found I could still lift heavy on the Pec Deck but movements like presses and dips were a no-no. This worked fine for me and I didn't lose any strength. That said, I don't think my injury was as bad as yours - I was virtually back to normal within five or six weeks.

It may be a pain in the *kitten*, but you may need to consult some kind of medical professional if, after 4 weeks rest, you're still having the sort of issues you describe....
  • pavan12
    Options
    your condition sounds pretty intense, and you need to see a doctor stat.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Perhaps you have bursitis???

I am not a Doctor but this sounds like what my Dad used to get years ago.

Something about an inflammation caused by the muscle crossing on the bone. Brutal pain for very specific movements but none for others using the same muscle group.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Thanks, You and another friend mention Bursitis. I'm gonna look into that
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options

Azdak posted a great thread on this and I know from personal experience and training clients, it's dead on right. Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/381374-shoulder-packing-u-needz-it?hl=pack+your+shoulders#posts-5220020

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks, I appreciate the link
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    It sounds like you've tried resting them.

The only thing I can think of is to consult a Doctor, preferably one that has experience of dealing with sports injuries. Either that or a Sports Physio. It may be you need some kind of physio or even medical treatment before you start lifting heavy again.

With that having been said, if you want to do it yourself, you could consider your own physio program of a few weeks rest, frequent stretching and icing and then try lifting again with light weights (although again, it sounds like you've already done this). You could also consider trying different exercises to see if they tweak them at all. I injured my rotator cuff a few years back and found I could still lift heavy on the Pec Deck but movements like presses and dips were a no-no. This worked fine for me and I didn't lose any strength. That said, I don't think my injury was as bad as yours - I was virtually back to normal within five or six weeks.

It may be a pain in the *kitten*, but you may need to consult some kind of medical professional if, after 4 weeks rest, you're still having the sort of issues you describe....

LOL! Wow.. thanks!! Yes, you're right! I should see a sports therapist! I didnt even think of that. All i kept thinking was how much of a waste of time seeing my doctor would be.

I relaize this may sound like sarcasm, lol but it's not! seriously, thanks for reminding me that there are doctors who specialize in these kindsof things..

Now lets see if my insurance covers it...
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Something to try, at the very least, is an herbal anti-inflammatory called Zyflamend, by NewChapter Organics. Can be costly, but if it helps with reducing inflammation and joint pain for you, worth it, no?

Other than that, I've have bad rotator cuffs from baseball, football, and wrestling growing up... you've rested it, and usually that works for me, but there is an exercise you can do that requires light weight and works on building the rotator muscles in the shoulder. I don't know the name of it, but basically you sit down at the bottom cable of a cable station. Grab the triangle with your arm to your side and bent 90 degrees (should look like you're trying to make a square). Then with palms down, rotate the arm up. This should build the muscle up and possibly help with the pain. But then, there's a chance it could worsen it as well.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you can try decline bench press. The movement might take off the stress on your shoulders a bit.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    So I have had the similar problem off and on for years. Impingement. I can move my shoulder one way with no pain and another and it is excruciating. A cortisone shot usually settles mine down. If you don't want to go that route be patient and give it time. My usually acts up after I have slept with my arm over my head. I have certain exercises I can do and I don't know the "names" laying on back and doing chest flys, bench press but decline bench and laying on back doing overhead presses seem to be ok. I would suggest getting it checked. I worked in orthopedics for a while and unless you truly know whats wrong, you don't want to continue lifting and possibly tear your shoulder up and end up in surgery. Hope you feel better soon.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I wonder if you can try decline bench press. The movement might take off the stress on your shoulders a bit.
    It will depend. I can do incline presses with no issues on my shoulders, but when I do declines, my left shoulders reeks with pain. Hence I don't do declines. It's either cables or dips.

But he should try them to see.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I have that too. I don't know if it's impingment but it sounds the same. It hurts a the very top of my shoulder. The boney tip portion. I can still do the lifts but it will hurt the next day and for days after. I do seem to experience more pain if my arm is over my head during sleep. So I've been try to keep that arm at my side at night
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have that too. I don't know if it's impingment but it sounds the same. It hurts a the very top of my shoulder. The boney tip portion. I can still do the lifts but it will hurt the next day and for days after. I do seem to experience more pain if my arm is over my head during sleep. So I've been try to keep that arm at my side at night
    Mine doesn't hurt for days, but hurts upon execution. It does sound like an impingement. Does your arm fall asleep if left over head?
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    It will depend. I can do incline presses with no issues on my shoulders, but when I do declines, my left shoulders reeks with pain. Hence I don't do declines. It's either cables or dips.

But he should try them to see.

See, inclines tear me a new one. I have tried declines as the Y only has a bench decline where you have to use dumbells. The bench is for decline sit ups so it's hard as hell to carry the 75lbers(heaviest they have) and sling my leg over the raised bench portion.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Mine doesn't hurt for days, but hurts upon execution. It does sound like an impingement. Does your arm fall asleep if left over head?

Doesn't fall asleep but the pain is increased if I sleep that way. It will also hurt sometimes if I'm sitting at my office chair with the arm resting on the armrest. If the weight of my arm pivots the arm at the shoulder joint in just a certain way, it hurts like hell.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Mine never falls asleep. Just pain with certain movement. I've learned what to avoid and how to maneuver to get through it. Haven't had a shot in years. But that is the quickest fix.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I'm wondering of my right shoulder pain can be attributed(partly) to the fact that I sit at a desk and click a mouse with my right hand all day. My desk is at a hight where I have to slightly elevate my elbow from my side and keep it there to operate the mouse. I lift my left shoulder just as much as might right during liftiting but it's my right that hurts. I'm not a baseball player either.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    bump
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give declines a try tonight. It feels like that might be the answer. Also made an appointment to have my spine looked at. Considering the nervous system is all connected to the spine, its worth getting looked at