When the Scale Hates You...

Options
I did this as a blog post, but thought more peeps might see it here. The lesson today: Learn the difference between fluctuation and gaining. The other lesson: Don't beat yourself up if the scale doesn't go in the direction you want it to go. The other, other lesson: Everyone has insecurities and self-doubt from time to time. The other, other, other lesson: Don't let emotion get in the way of logic and the truth.

My low weight was 125.5# in mid October, and I took a week off from logging, then I went on maintenance. Since then, it's bounced mostly between 127 and 132, and it can be a struggle to understand the difference between gain and fluctuation. I'm currently the same weight as I was in July. I was happy with how I looked in July, and logically know that I'm a little leaner than I was then based on how my clothes fit, but sometimes I still get insecurities and self-doubt. Did I gain weight? Should I reajust my goals?

This is why I love the self-timer on my camera so much. According to the scale, I'm 132# in both of these pictures. Even in measurements, there's not much difference. Maybe a half inch or so at the waist and hips. Yet according to the photos, there's not a HUGE difference in the pictures, but my legs are leaner, my stomach flatter, the curve along my waist is more streamlined, my arms are tighter... and I did a fantastic job of wearing sunscreen over the summer because I'm pretty much the same skin tone in November as I was in July, when I spent as much time as possible floating on a raft in the pool.

Untitled-1-4.jpg

I'm going to continue to weigh myself, but I'm not going to beat myself up over the numbers on it. As long as my clothes fit well, and I like how I look in photos (I trust the mirror about as much as I do the scale), I'm cool with whatever the scale says.

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Holy kittens!! You look amazing! Toning really makes a difference doesn't it?!?!
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    thank you for the words of wisdom! sometimes we forget! By the way, you look amazing.. I can see the difference in your body and it looks great! Congrats on your journey!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember this!!! I say it to others, but taking it to heart is another matter!! I'm now 4 lbs from where I was this summer, but everything still fits the same. I HATE the scales - devil's spawn...
  • ashleycat23
    Options
    this is something that everyone needs to read and remember.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Wow!! You look incredible! I'm in the process of doing what you have done. I LOVE IT! Congratulations on looking fabulous... you are an inspiration!
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The scale may hate, but those photos don't lie!
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing! Congrats and thanks for sharing!
  • nursenelson
    Options
    You look amazing Lorinna
    Your hard work has sure paid off and boy does it show :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody. As further proof that it's important not to sweat the scale, last night, I got on and it said 131.5, then I took off my pants and sneakers, and weighed 133. :laugh: Funny, I didn't know Saucony made anti-gravity shoes! Time for new batteries, I suppose.
    I wonder though how much of a role stance plays in the pics too. In the After pic, you are bending your arm and leg and that is more flattering in pictures than unbent.

It definitely does, but these were the only two in close to the same position. Pose, angle, lighting, and the height the camera is at can all make a huge difference. Plus, it's only been at most about 5# since then, so if you think of the contents of a 5# bag of sugar spread out over a 5'5" frame, it's not going to show much anyway.
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump