Questions on C25K and HRM.

Options
Ok so I am going to be starting the c25k and I am curious as to how you guys did it as well. Because its only three days a week did you do three days in a row or did you go every other day, what was your routine with it?

As far as the heart rate monitor goes I was curious if they are worth it and also I know there are different kinds so is there a specific kind that works best or is more accurate, if so what is it and what are price ranges of HRM?

Replies

• edmondskm
    Options
    I'm on day 2 and I am planning on doing it whenever I have a day off from work or at least try to give myself a day off in between.
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of my C25K, and I have a great little app on my phone called Get Running - you put on your own music first, then open the app and it interfaces with your ipod app. It tells me to rest every second day to get my muscles recovered. I've got into the routine of running on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays - just completed Wk4 Run 2 this morning cos it's Thursday am here in NZ!
  • Jones4177
    Options
    I run on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday
  • gettingstronger
    Options
    You need to take days of rest in between because you are training your heart, lungs, bones, and muscles to learn to do something with a higher intensity. Two back to back runs won't hurt, but for the best results give yourself rest days. It will also prevent injuries and giving up in the long run.

Sources: Finishing the C25K program last year; running 3x a week successfully for under a year.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    It's important to space out your run days to allow your body time to recoup and prepare for the next run. I didn't have any injuries until I felt on top of the world and decided to run on consecutive days. Try walking or strength training on the non-run days.

I really like having my HRM when I run, and seeing the cals click up. Here's a great post about HRMs, and what to look for: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Also, a public C25K support group has been formed. Feel free to join -- no invitation needed -- here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

:drinker:
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you're new, you should do every other day or so so that your body can get stronger from running... otherwise you risk injuries from running too often too quickly.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Another vote for every other day. You should incorporate some cross-training/strength training on your off days to make sure you are building up the supporting muscles. Also, it is recommended you put a rest day in there. As far as the HRM...I love my Polar which I see recommended here alot. Main thing to keep in mind is to get one with a chest strap as they are more accurate. Worth the investment. Welcome to the running world! :happy:
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. Very much appreciated. Now at the moment my workout routine is 30min on the elliptical. I was doing that daily with taking weekends off. So on the days that I dont do the c25k is it ok to use my elliptical or would a workout DVD such as the 30ds be ok? I don't have many option because I can't go too gym and all I have is my elliptical and can be tworkout DVDs.
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't think running and elliptical are incompatible... I found the main thing was the impact of running that you really need the break from. Though, you might want to either crank up the resistance or find a way to work in some strength training instead of just more cardio. Strengthening your legs really helps in running.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I don't think running and elliptical are incompatible... I found the main thing was the impact of running that you really need the break from. Though, you might want to either crank up the resistance or find a way to work in some strength training instead of just more cardio. Strengthening your legs really helps in running.

Thank you dry much. So what could I do from home that would include strength training. I am knew to all the exercise and such. I started really exercising when I bought Jillian michaels 30day shred and did it 30 days I a row and then started right away on my elliptical. So any ell on wha I could do from home would be greatly appreciated!!!!
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I run on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday

snap!