crockpot recipes?

Options
JimieLou
JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
I'm interested in starting to cook with a crockpot. However, I don't have a lot of recipes...actually, I don't have any. I'm a fairly picky eater, but was wondering if anyone had any healthy crockpot recipes to share. If I had ideas, I could omit ingredients that I didn't care for and adjust as I felt was necessary.

Replies

• mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Chili is always good.
    Publix's Apron meals has a lot of different ideas. They usually have the cal content at the bottom, usually not super healthy, but you could substitute certain items to make it healthier.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Crockpot Hot Buttered Rum Recipe

Ingredients
    • 2 cups brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1 pinch salt
    • 2 quarts hot water
    • 3 cinnamon sticks
    • 6 whole cloves
    • 2 cups rum
    • 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
    • ground nutmeg to taste
    Directions
    1. Combine the brown sugar, butter, salt and hot water in 5 quart slow cooker. Add cinnamon sticks and cloves. Cover and cook on Low for 5 hours. Stir in rum.
    2. Ladle from the slow cooker into mugs, and top with whipped cream and a dusting of nutmeg.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Ingredients
    • 2 cups brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1 pinch salt
    • 2 quarts hot water
    • 3 cinnamon sticks
    • 6 whole cloves
    • 2 cups rum
    • ground nutmeg to taste
    Directions
    1. Combine the brown sugar, butter, salt and hot water in 5 quart slow cooker. Add cinnamon sticks and cloves. Cover and cook on Low for 5 hours. Stir in rum.
    2. Ladle from the slow cooker into mugs, and top with whipped cream and a dusting of nutmeg.

that is just pure evil and i will have to consume it
  • marissa4354
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com

Very good recipes as well as low calories! :)
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

Ingredients
    • 2 cups brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1 pinch salt
    • 2 quarts hot water
    • 3 cinnamon sticks
    • 6 whole cloves
    • 2 cups rum
    • ground nutmeg to taste
    Directions

Drools
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    pulled pork or chicken sandiwches is always easy and good! just get your meat, season it, and throw it in the crockpot with a little water and a bottle of bbq sauce!!! then shred and eat!

someone mentioned chili is good

stews.... soups... i have some mexican recipes, but not sure if you like that or not

what type of food do you like?
  • marissa4354
    Options
    PS.. this is awesome:

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 10 • Size: 1 1/4 cups • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 203.7 • Fat: 1.4 g • Carb: 33.3 g • Fiber: 10.0 g • Protein: 16.9 g

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
    1 16-oz can black beans
    1 16-oz can kidney beans
    1 8-oz can tomato sauce
    10 oz package frozen corn kernels
    2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp chili powder
    24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
    chili peppers, chopped (optional)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:

Combine beans (drained and rinsed), onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream (extra).
  • cscheiern
    Options
    I usually make soup or stew in the crock pot. Its pretty simple to just throw in any vegetables you like and brown some meat or add already cooked meat and then add broth or gravy. I get ideas from searches online adding or omitting what I want.
  • carvaking
    Options
    The crockpot is easy to use, and most recipes can be adapted if you want to make them healthier. Follow my blog at http://thebusymomsmenu.blogspot.com for some ideas on using the crockpot.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest buying the "fix it & forget it" cookbook :) it has some good recipes

Something very easy to make is throwing a frozen chicken breast or two in it, pour a bottle of your favourite bbq sauce or hot sauce over it, turn it on low or high depending on whether you are going to be around or not. once cooked, shred it and serve with wholewheat buns or with side salad or veggies.
  • angelarozmyn
    Options
    BUMP. yum. need me some rum
  • akamangos
    Options
    You can add anything to the crockpot and it will turn out fine.

Try this:
    Chicken Breast
    Can of diced tomatoes
    Onion
    Garlic
    Bell Pepper
    Salt and Pepper to taste

The chicken will shred at the touch of a fork and you can use that for almost anything. Tacos. Sloppy Chicken Joes. Tostadas. Etc.

Good luck!
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love really easy, tasty ones.

My favorite is putting a couple of chicken breasts in with a can of pineapple and a jar of salsa. Such good filling for tacos or burritos.
  • bbelly615
    bbelly615 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Throw frozen chicken breasts in with salsa and water with whatever seasonings you like, cook on low until tender. Shred the breasts, throw on a tortilla with taco goodies= easy chicken tacos...low calorie, too!
  • phanatic82
    phanatic82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This looks awesome! And I even think my husband will eat it! Thank you so much!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It's not healthy -- at least not the way I make it -- but if you're having vegetarians for Thanksgiving, put bread stuffing in the crockpot on low a few hours. It doesn't need any additional water if you fill the whole pot with fresh bread cubes, butter, chopped onions and celery; it just steams itself. It comes out nearly as good as in the bird. You might stir it occasionally so it doesn't brown on the bottom.
  • oceanbreeze22
    oceanbreeze22 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    PS.. this is awesome:

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 10 • Size: 1 1/4 cups • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 203.7 • Fat: 1.4 g • Carb: 33.3 g • Fiber: 10.0 g • Protein: 16.9 g

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
    1 16-oz can black beans
    1 16-oz can kidney beans
    1 8-oz can tomato sauce
    10 oz package frozen corn kernels
    2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp chili powder
    24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
    chili peppers, chopped (optional)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:

Combine beans (drained and rinsed), onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream (extra).

It sounds awesome!

I got to try this one.
  • KimR87
    KimR87 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    skinnycrockpot.com
    I made the roast from there tonight and the applesauce chicken a couple nights ago.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in starting to cook with a crockpot. However, I don't have a lot of recipes...actually, I don't have any. I'm a fairly picky eater, but was wondering if anyone had any healthy crockpot recipes to share. If I had ideas, I could omit ingredients that I didn't care for and adjust as I felt was necessary.

What ingredients do you like? What do you hate?
  • inammorata
    Options
    2 lb roast
    1 cup ketchup
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 bottle beer

Place ingredients in crockpot on low for 8 hrs.