Pumpkin Dessert

Options
DEGiltz
DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
Hi there. I love pumpkin pie filling; could care less about the pie crust. Any ideas on how to lighten up the filling and bake it in a custard cup so it still tastes like pumpkin pie?

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I just make my pumpkin pie recipe in a pie dish without crust. It comes out great. I use fat free canned milk.
  • NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't QUITE pumpkin pie but these bars are really tasty: http://www.meals.com/Recipes/Pumpkin-Carrot-Swirl-Bars.aspx?recipeid=28459

Someone else posted this recipe on MFP before and they're great!
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Glitzygal check out www.skinnytaste.com she has a pumpkin pie dip that is to die for and low it's in cals!! She also has pumpkin pie cupcakes the are delish!!
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I love pumpkin pie filling; could care less about the pie crust. Any ideas on how to lighten up the filling and bake it in a custard cup so it still tastes like pumpkin pie?

This is a recipe that is AWESOME! You can have less calories by making it crustless! It tastes like pumpkin pie! ENJOY!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/11/sweet-potato-pie.html
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i just caught this recipe on a post here yesterday and plan on trying it today. I am giving you what i was able to get from the recipe hope it helps, i cannot remember who made the post but these sound really good.

mini pumpkin tarts

1 container fat free cool whip
    1 15oz. can of Libbys pure pumpkin
    1TBSP pumpkin pie spice
    1 package french vanilla pudding, sugar free, fat free
    Athens min fillo shells

according to post each has 23 calories. There were no instructions other than the recipe but seems self explanatory , i think LOL!! Have a great day :smile:
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Fat free canned milk, egg beaters, you could probably cut the sugar back some, too. It should turn out great.

Another awesome pumpkin dessert is 1 box spice cake mix mixed w/ 1 15 oz can pure pumpking. Bake 12 muffins for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. i think they are 187 calories per muffin and they are moist and delicious! (the batter will be THICK, but don't add anything except those 2 ingredients---no oil, egg, water, nothing but cake mix and pumpkin).
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options

This is a recipe that is AWESOME! You can have less calories by making it crustless! It tastes like pumpkin pie! ENJOY!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/11/sweet-potato-pie.html

oh my goodness, I'm going to have to try this one! I love all things sweet potato
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you all for the great ideas!! I want to get through this holiday without feeling like I'm missing out. These recipes will surely help.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    To lighten up the filling:

Look for "skim" (fat free) Carnation milk instead of regular

egg beaters instead of eggs

Sugar substitute, or .... if your recipe calls for brown sugar ..... dark brown sugar is more flavorful (you can naturally use less)
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Most of the fat in pumpkin pie is in the crust. Here's a great no-crust, no-bake pumpkin pie without all the fat. This makes a great low fat option for Thanksgiving.

Prep Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes

Cook Time: 4 minutes

Total Time: 2 hours, 19 minutes

Ingredients:
    •1/4 cup water
    •2 1-ounce envelopes unflavored gelatin
    •2 cups fat-free evaporated milk, divided
    •3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    •1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
    •1 tsp cinnamon
    •1/2 tsp ground ginger
    •1/4 tsp nutmeg
    •1/8 tsp cloves
    •1 tsp vanilla extract

Preparation:

Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
    In a large bowl, sprinkle gelatin in water. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.

Pour 1 cup of fat-free evaporated milk into a small saucepan and heat until almost boiling. Remove from heat and whisk into gelatin. Don’t worry if it the gelatin has hardened, the hot milk will liquefy it. Stir in remaining cup of evaporated milk, sugar, canned pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and vanilla extract. Stir until well blended.

Pour pumpkin mixture into pie plate. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Serves 8.

Per Serving: Calories 152, Calories from Fat 2, Total Fat 0.2g (Sat 0.2g), Cholesterol 2mg, Sodium 85mg, Carbohydrate 32.1g, Fiber 1.7g, Protein 5.4g
    Top with fat free cool whip or FF Yogart
  • debbie0482
    debbie0482 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree. I love pumpkin pie filling. So, I just mix my 16 oz. canned pumpkin with 1 egg, plenty of cinnamon, a little low-fat milk, splenda to taste and add a hint of brown sugar or maple syrup. Spray your muffin cups, measure the filling and bake at 350 until set. Not the really good filling you associate with pumpkin pie but works for me. Don't know what the calorie count is but shouldn't be hard to figure. And just 1 as a treat now and then shouldn't be too bad anyway. Sometimes it pays to satisfy a craving.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I make crustless pumpkin pie all time....use 6 oz fat free evap milk and 6 oz fat free milk, use splenda (or your sugar sub of choice--I use Truvia), and use egg beaters in place of eggs....comes out just like the regular recipe and tastes just the same. I make them in the little pie pans so they are already individual servings...
  • Biffybeans1
    Biffybeans1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm making this for Thanksgiving this year so I haven't tried it. A friend who is on Weight Watchers shared this W. W. recipe with me. She and others have assured me I won't miss pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. The recipe didn't say how many this serves so I calculated the nutrition list on 8 servings, but it might serve more. Sugar grams per serving are really too high, but for a holiday treat it might be ok to indulge.

Crockpot Pumpkin Pudding
    Serves 8-10
    1/8 serving = 159 cal, 2.5 fat, 0.6 sat, 0.8 poly, 0.9 mono, 0 chol, 153 sod, 31 pot, 21 carbs, 0.6 fiber, 15.7 sugar, 4.8 protein

1, 15oz. can solid pumpkin 1 (12oz.) can fat free evap. milk
    ¾ c. sugar ½ c. Heart Healthy Bisquick
    ½ c. Egg Beaters 2 T. Smart Balance marg., melted
    1 ½-2 ½ teas. pumpkin pie spice 2 teas. vanilla
    Lite Cool Whip for topping (optional)

In lg. bowl mix all ingredients except Cool Whip. Transfer to crockpot coated with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours. Serve in bowls with Cool Whip, if desired.
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

I make this a lot for a little treat. Make your normal pumpkin pie filling but use brown sugar splenda and (unsweetened) coconut milk and just spray your pie plate with non-stick spray so there is no crust. It is very delicious. I typically use a cup of pumpkin, 2 eggs and a cup of the milk a tbs of sugar and the spices I like. My hubby loves it! No need to make things complicated with tons of ingredients. These are all ingredients I keep in my house.