Cecil, the new guy in town!

Options
Hello,

My name is Cecil and I am a 49 year old living near Downtown Dallas, Texas. As of today I have lost 11 pounds in a little over a month on the program and now have the courage and pride to say hi to everyone. My goal is 60 pounds and I feel very confident that I will get there because I can already feel my lifestyle changing after several failed diet attempts over the years. I enjoy how I eat, look forward to exercising and just feel better about myself.
I am a diabetic and after being on this program my Glucose readings have been averaging 110. I am also a stroke survivor having had my event back in 2003 when I smoked 2 packs a day, ate what I wanted, and had uncontrolled High Blood Pressure. I survived the stroke and now have very little effects from it (nobody knows unless I mention it). I have not smoked since that day of the event and I never miss taking my meds. Now it's time to finish the job by getting my weight where it should be! Thanks for the time and if anyone in the Dallas area wants to be a pal please let me know!

Replies

• nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    All the best Cecil on your journey, mine started 2 years ago..was insulin dependant on 170 units a day, had high blood pressure and on medication. I am today on NO insulin and NO BP pills..and 293 pounds off and FEELING GREAT!!
    Health is so important, and the way i feel now is like a million bucks...."HEALTH IS WEALTH"!!
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Good luck Cecil and well done on what you've achieved so far!!!
  • cecilsav
    Options
    Wow! That's amazing and a real inspiration! I'm not on insulin but I do take medication for the diabetes. What are some tips you have to losing the weight if you don't mind?
  • GTaylor615
    GTaylor615 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Cecil. Good Luck on your journey, and please feel free to add me as a friend. Together we can motivate eachother to a continued success.
  • nsblue
    Options
    Cecil, from Sept 25th 2009 to Feb 25th 2011 I had lost 120 pounds approx just by following a 1500 cal diabetic diet. On feb 25th 2011 of this year I weighed 430.1 pounds...i have a large hernia that needs repair so the surgeon said if i lose 30lbs he would put me into their weight loss program , do WLS then once down to 250 do the hernia repair. Well I went home and read up on their program and started immediately...plus walking every day. The weight came off fast n fierce.. I weighed this morning 256.2lbs I see the surgeon in two weeks and will have both surgeries together..i hope. (NS doesnt recieve much funding for WLS so the system is really slow)
    The diet i am on now is normally a 1200 cal healthy choice. since under doctors care i can cut back to 1000 cal...just i have to make sure i get in 60-80 grams of protein a day..drink at least 8 cups of water, I keep sugar to a minimum..no more than 8gr sugar per 100 cal...except fruit will have 14 and thats ok. I eat lots of veggies n fruit, meat and limit my rice, pasta and potato...bread i keep at bay and i choose to use the ryvita snackbreads especially while in weight loss...n i more than likely will stick with that because i love it.
    I had to work on behavioural changes and make new habits. I now know i will never go back to my old way of eating because i have worked changing my lifestyle and the way i eat...making new emotional foods... i weigh everyday and it has taught me how my body works with the foods i eat...and being in tune with my body in how it handles sugar, salt and carbs etc.

My food logs are open to the public and are all there since april 1st.
    If anyone can go into this committed and focused, they CAN change, do awsome and succeed. If I can anyone can ;)
  • cecilsav
    Options
    Cecil, from Sept 25th 2009 to Feb 25th 2011 I had lost 120 pounds approx just by following a 1500 cal diabetic diet. On feb 25th 2011 of this year I weighed 430.1 pounds...i have a large hernia that needs repair so the surgeon said if i lose 30lbs he would put me into their weight loss program , do WLS then once down to 250 do the hernia repair. Well I went home and read up on their program and started immediately...plus walking every day. The weight came off fast n fierce.. I weighed this morning 256.2lbs I see the surgeon in two weeks and will have both surgeries together..i hope. (NS doesnt recieve much funding for WLS so the system is really slow)
    The diet i am on now is normally a 1200 cal healthy choice. since under doctors care i can cut back to 1000 cal...just i have to make sure i get in 60-80 grams of protein a day..drink at least 8 cups of water, I keep sugar to a minimum..no more than 8gr sugar per 100 cal...except fruit will have 14 and thats ok. I eat lots of veggies n fruit, meat and limit my rice, pasta and potato...bread i keep at bay and i choose to use the ryvita snackbreads especially while in weight loss...n i more than likely will stick with that because i love it.
    I had to work on behavioural changes and make new habits. I now know i will never go back to my old way of eating because i have worked changing my lifestyle and the way i eat...making new emotional foods... i weigh everyday and it has taught me how my body works with the foods i eat...and being in tune with my body in how it handles sugar, salt and carbs etc.

My food logs are open to the public and are all there since april 1st.
    If anyone can go into this committed and focused, they CAN change, do awsome and succeed. If I can anyone can ;)

Great story and should be beyond proud! I am just trying to make better choices about eating as well. The Iphone app has helped me realize just how much and how bad I was eating. I'm sure there were days I would eat 3000 calories and do no exercise. Now I am averaging around 1300 a day and I have had no fried food, burgers, ice cream,pizza and all the other bad stuff in over a month. And I don't miss it.
  • nsblue
    Options
    i hear you..when i started watching how many calories were in things it almost turned my stomach when i seen it. I remember the TV commercials use to get to me so bad i stopped watching TV LOL but i knew that couldnt last long so i made a plan that when i see one..i remember what it was like...have no problem there lol...then i think of the calorie content...n i get so turned off the desire for it leaves... LOL
    Some things I had to divorce...like potato chips. Pizza I still have but only one slice with a salad and only every other month...that is my treat and still stay in my calorie range...and still lose weight. Everything in moderation they say... and choose wisely what you eat.
    And, for my birthday...oh we all like a piece of cake...so i made a sugar free banana marble cake.. with whipped topping... i fit it into my cal for the day...so i can have my cake n eat it too lol
  • mrericswife
    Options
    Job well done!