How often do you weigh yourself and why?

Options
I weigh myself every 3 weeks. Why? I'm losing weight slowly, around 1.5lbs a week, so for me, there is no point in stepping on the scales each week only to see 1lb difference.

Do you think it matters how often you weigh yourself?

Replies

• ajlarz
    ajlarz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day...I know I shouldn't do that, but I do. Why? Because I am obsessive about it and I am afraid if don't weigh in each morning, I will spiral out of control.
  • cnevills
    cnevills Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week because your weight will go up and down, up and down. You get a bigger picture and seems to be a bigger reward rather than seeing 1 pound here and there.
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    haha... I weigh myself twice a day, but only because I like crunching data. I have an excel spreadsheet that tracks everything and it's interesting to see how much I gain during the day and then lose at night... Once I get bored with that then I'll weigh myself once a week.

Scott
  • tickletickle
    Options
    everyday. my reason is cos im monitoring my heavier /lighter days, and i have found them! i dont care, i do it when i do it
  • alz6690
    Options
    I had my scales confiscated because I started weighing myself obsessively daily, and between you and me more than that. Eventhough I know that was irrational and stupid I still did it! I now get weighed every 2 weeks, and to be honest its working uch better for me. I only get weighed at the gym and its making me want to stick to my plan more and am more likely to see a change after 2 weeks than daily!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    every morning but i only record it on mondays. at first i did it that often just to make sure i wasn't messing anything up. now i do it more as habit.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, before I check in with my wellness coach, just to be sure I am on track.

I used to weigh myself up to 10x a day... this time I've decided to put away the scale and not focus on the number.
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered that I am a compulsive weigher. Once a day, in the morning, but sometimes at night too. I've written myself a note on my scale that says FRIDAY AM ONLY, but it's not helping. A friend of mine on MFP keeps hers in the trunk of her car. I may have to start doing this. It is discouraging to weigh everyday, since it's not realistic to expect your weight to be so much drastically less within 24 hours.
  • JamieRena2012
    JamieRena2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    haha... I weigh myself twice a day, but only because I like crunching data. I have an excel spreadsheet that tracks everything and it's interesting to see how much I gain during the day and then lose at night... Once I get bored with that then I'll weigh myself once a week.

Scott

that sounds interesting!!!! But geeez i'm already getting to be to anal about what the scale says....
  • ChrissyLu723
    ChrissyLu723 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself the same time every morning and after work - why? Just because I'm so obsessed with getting to ONEderland that I feel better if I check, plus if my night time weight is up then I know I had to much salt (pretzels)...then I know to not eat more pretzels in the evening :P
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's hard to walk by the scale day after day. I'd like to weigh in once per week (for my fitness pal update), but I have to say, that I jump on the scale more than that just to see what's happening!
  • hmmckim1128
    Options
    I weight twice a day. I weigh first thing in the morning and again before I go to bed. I don't think this is probably a good idea but for some reason I can't help myself. I'm like Scott, I like numbers and I find it interesting to see how my body weight changes during the day and after certain types of food and exercise. I'm sure it will get old at some point but for me a minimum of once a week. It helps keep me on track.
  • mroper
    mroper Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day...I know I shouldn't do that, but I do. Why? Because I am obsessive about it and I am afraid if don't weigh in each morning, I will spiral out of control.

^ THIS is me exactly! Been overweight my whole life and dont want the scales to go back up this time!!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday. It became an obsession & I fell victim to the scale. It changed my moods, my mindset, my willingness to exercise & eat right etc.

NOW, I don't weigh myself at all. I'm currently doing a program that is 20 weeks long. I'm supposed to track my results after every 4 weeks....& I will, but not my weight. I will probably weigh myself at the end of the 20 weeks, just to see the final number, but all I really care about is how I feel and how my body changes and looks. A number is just that, a number.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I weight myself first thin in the morning if I remember & get the chance to but I don't officially record my weight until my weigh in day which is Fridays (I was going to change the day as I go nuts on the weekends with food). The reason why I get on the scales everyday is so I can track my progress, if the scales are up I tend to be more careful with what I put in my mouth or exercise more. I know the scales can drastically fluctuate but it's just a bad habit I've had for years! They are the devil :devil:
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I currently don't have scales with me, I weigh myself when I go home every 3 weeks (I'm currently at uni). I think I would also be obsessed if I had scales with me right now!
  • Becxox
    Becxox Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily because it helps me stay accountable and aware of what my weight does based on what I eat.
    It's also very motivating for me when I see a loss each day even if it is only 100g!!!
  • dedarlin
    dedarlin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i ONLY get on the scale once per month at the same time i get measured by my nutritionist at Max Muscle, and i even do it at the same time and always on a Monday! If i get the urge to get on the scale at the gym (and I do occasionally) i do not log it, because usually i am at a the gym at night and it's not the same scale. I sometimes use it as a guide, but never actually write it down or get upset if it doesnt say what i want it to :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every 4-6 weeks. Mostly because I am not that interested! I don't own scales and don't want to. There's too much obsession to get into there.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Daily: at least once in the AM and once in the PM. But you can't do this if you obsess about the day to day variance on the scale. I take my "official" weight every Friday.

I am not one of those people that can go without weighing myself. That's how I got to the point that I did. And now that I have lost 50#, I want to make sure it stays away for good!! I might ease up eventually, but I still want to lose at least another 25#.